Gibson Brands Forums

J045 TV Question

MaplesOfWrath

Hi all, long-time lurker, first time poster. Just have a quick question about the J-45 TV. I have a 2010 model, and love it; so much, in fact, that I want to buy another one, but don't know if I should stick to the same year.

Now I know that the later TVs made some changes:

(1) the tuners changed,

(2) pickguard came unattached,

(3) the neck profile changed from a rounded C shape to more of a V-shape;

(4) back of the neck became sunbursted as well; and

(5) the fingerboard and bridge no longer are maddie.

Do any of you experts know if there were any other differences? Thanks!

Hi all, long-time lurker, first time poster. Just have a quick question about the J-45 TV. I have a 2010 model, and love it; so much, in fact, that I want to buy another one, but don't know if I should stick to the same year.

Now I know that the later TVs made some changes:

(1) the tuners changed,

(2) pickguard came unattached,

(3) the neck profile changed from a rounded C shape to more of a V-shape;

(4) back of the neck became sunbursted as well; and

(5) the fingerboard and bridge no longer are maddie.

Do any of you experts know if there were any other differences? Thanks!

The FB and Bridge on a 2010 will not be madi. We stopped using madi in 2007.

I would take a close look at this years J-45 Vintage. Played 4 of them yesterday. All had a different voice but they were all great!

JM

There's almost nothing as interesting and thrilling in the world of acoustics as comparing similar models - especially from the same year or period.

A few pairs will sound similar and most will be like siblings, but that said, the differences will blossom in wild nuances, , , in fact in all directions.

I'm lucky to have 2 TV Birds born within the same 40 days (April and May) within reach and they actually sound similar.

However April is louder/stronger than May - and May is looser than April. I still love to A/B them with same steel put on at the same time and it would be hard to choose one for the other. So enjoy the hunt for #2, but don't expect to just go out and grab a double, , , a sister for sure, but no twin is guaranteed in this game.

And don't forget to report please -

Btw also had 2 HD-28V's a some point. Again they sounded the same/different.

The 05 was fantastic - so well behaved and balanced, the 2000 was louder thus bassier and close to monstrous.

Needed quite some time before deciding, , , a couple of years.

As the model is supposed to have an ancient, slightly raw voice and succeeds in this this, I thought "this shouldn't be too noble", and kept the latter.

Jeremy beat me to it. I was going to suggest you look at the 2016 version, the J-45 Vintage. I have a Hummingbird Vintage (same idea), and it is spectacular. From all reports, the J-45 Vintage is spectacular, too, and that would really give you something that is the same but different, specifically because the top has had a torrefaction treatment.

However, I can totally understand wanting to get something as similar as possible to what you have, too, if you like it that much, and in that case, maybe you would be better off hunting for the same year... If you do find another 2010, I hope you'll do a comparison video for us. :) Harder to tell as a listener, especially through microphones and speakers, but it would still be fun.

Get a 2016 J-45 Vintage though..... :) or get both...

The FB and Bridge on a 2010 will not be madi. We stopped using madi in 2007.

I would take a close look at this years J-45 Vintage. Played 4 of them yesterday. All had a different voice but they were all great!

JM

Thanks for the response Jeremy. Did Gibson stop using madi after 2007 for any guitar, or just the J-45 TV. I ask because this 2011 Wildwood J-185 shows madi fb & bridge in the specs.

Anyway, I'll have to check out the J-45 Vintage (p.s. if anyone knows, does the J-45 vintage also have red spruce hide-glued advanced open x bracing like the J-45 TV?).

I must have been really lucky then, my 2010 J45TV has wonderful Madagascar FB and Bridge, same with my former HB TVs from 2008 and 2010...My current 2012 HB TV has Indian Rosewood and I like it too.

The current J45TVs also feel lighter build. The neck on my 2010 has a chunky C profile, really comfy.

The tuners on the 2016 are not 3 on a plate anymore.

Every single J45TV I've played has been great, far above any standard J45 ;)

Archived