Gibson Brands Forums

This Forum.

LarryUK

Guest Farnsbarns

Because the forum exists to allow for UGC (user generated content). If you were allowed to delete your thread, along with everyone's replies, they'd loose that SEO and SEM advantage. Also, you don't raise a point with your mates in the pub and then decide the topic must be dropped because you don't like what they had to say. I agree with the decision not allow users to delete.

It's like marriage in America.

It might seem like a really good idea in the beginning, but then later on (when it all goes sour), you don't get to just walk away and delete it.

There are the kids to consider, and the in-laws, and the lawyers, and all the stuff you have to lose, to pay for the lawyers.

:(

You can go back and delete your comments using edit. There's at least one forum member who seems to delete all their past comments every couple of days, which makes it hard to follow a thread but you can do it if that what you feel the need to do I guess ( but please don't [biggrin])

You can't delete the thread even if you start it coz you don't have the right to delete others' comments, though there have been examples where someone has obviously felt they have been wronged and the thread has mysteriously disappeared - not just been locked - but that is via the moderators. Most of the time it seems to work out.

Sometimes threads get locked, sometimes they go away altogether. There have been times where someone has started a thread and it has turned into a complete embarrassment to the person who started it, and I will respond if asked to make it go away but it's on a case by case basis. Hasn't happened often.

Sometimes a thread will go completely horribly wrong and will get locked. Sometimes because of the content I will make that thread disappear. (It's not really 'gone', just hidden from view.) Then people will spend the next three days demanding an explanation as to why it went away, thus fanning the embers into flames again.

And Scales, you bet there is ONE forum member who has posted some pretty nasty stuff and then when it got replied to in kind, went back in and deleted or edited his incendiary posts to make it look like he was the victim. He's smart but I will catch him in the act.

Just because you start a topic, it doesn't mean it's yours. It's a discussion and it belongs to all who participate in it. How you can arrive at the notion that it's yours and then expect to delete it all is absurd.

I have to reject the SEM/SEO value argument. Sure, the thread might have value for the thread's sake, but this forum is almost certainly a liability for Gibson. Just the price of hosting is probably more than the value people create with their posts (assuming one could measure the value of a post). I'm pretty sure this one has no value.

Guest Farnsbarns

Just because you start a topic, it doesn't mean it's yours. It's a discussion and it belongs to all who participate in it. How you can arrive at the notion that it's yours and then expect to delete it all is absurd.

I have to reject the SEM/SEO value argument. Sure, the thread might have value for the thread's sake, but this forum is almost certainly a liability for Gibson. Just the price of hosting is probably more than the value people create with their posts (assuming one could measure the value of a post). I'm pretty sure this one has no value.

This forum could be hosted for a few $ a month. It's certainly about the UGC. This is what I did for a living for a long time before I accidently got into marketing in the motor trade.

Of course, there are other pro's for Gibson but that will be the major consideration. If I'm wrong and it was put up for another reason then it was luck vs judgement. I think it's unlikely. I've run and moderated far busier fora, it's really not that much work. Depends on the audience of course. I ran a forum for a well known band I won't name for a while. That was bonkers, every thread turned into a slagging match. I refused to continue without more payment eventually. On the other hand, I ran a large disc golf fora once and I reckon I deleted about 4 threads in the 5 or 6 years I ran it. The main ethos at the centre of disc golf is that there is no ref and everyone should behave because they are decent. Seemed to spill into forum life too.

Edit: I don't want to take away from the efforts of our mods. Very grateful for the time they put in.

For what it's worth, this forum isn't a really busy place. I don't know why, but to me it seems that THE "Gibson" forum would be full of traffic, being as there is a lot of interest in Gibby, and this forum IS on the Gibson website and all.

Also though, I don't really see that Gibson really cares or has much interest in this forum. Not saying that's bad or wrong, just an observation.

And having said those things, if true, I personally APPRECIATE that they do host this place, cause I think the ones that benefit the most are us guys that use it.

The curiosity for me though, is given the amount of customer service calls to Gibson and their willingness to invest in that, given that most are stupid questions, it would seem the forum would make life a whole lot easier for them if many of the questions were directed to a forum instead.

Guest Farnsbarns

I must say, this is the first and only forum I've participated in besides a couple of very technical web dev fora which really don't have the casual side this place has. Technical and nothing else.

When you post a thread on here and it doesn't go the way you like . Why can't you delete it of even delete a comment you've made on another thread?

Surely the whole raison d'etre of posting a thread is to discover how others view your question(s)/observation(s)?

If the thread goes on to explore alternative thoughts/preferences/viewpoints then isn't that the point at which the thread becomes interesting?

Think about it; a thread entitled 'Jimi Hendrix; he was good, wasn't he?' is going to make for pretty uninformative reading.

I must say, this is the first and only forum I've participated in...

The Leica Forum apart this is the the only place I visit.

I really like the folks here - whether they agree with my opinions or not.

So there!................:P

Pip.

I really like the folks here - whether they agree with my opinions or not.

So there!................:P

Pip.

I am not sure I can agree because until I find something I disagree with you on then we can't know what it would be like to be wrong.

But if you were ever wrong, I'd probably agree with you on it anyway.

Needless to say, I 100% agree with you on what you just said about the folks here.

Needless to say, I 100% agree with you on what you just said about the folks here.

I'd hazard a guess that the pleasure for all of us is endemic.

Pip

Edit: I don't want to take away from the efforts of our mods. Very grateful for the time they put in.

[thumbup]

This forum could be hosted for a few $ a month. It's certainly about the UGC. This is what I did for a living for a long time before I accidently got into marketing in the motor trade.

Of course, there are other pro's for Gibson but that will be the major consideration. If I'm wrong and it was put up for another reason then it was luck vs judgement. I think it's unlikely. I've run and moderated far busier fora, it's really not that much work. Depends on the audience of course. I ran a forum for a well known band I won't name for a while. That was bonkers, every thread turned into a slagging match. I refused to continue without more payment eventually. On the other hand, I ran a large disc golf fora once and I reckon I deleted about 4 threads in the 5 or 6 years I ran it. The main ethos at the centre of disc golf is that there is no ref and everyone should behave because they are decent. Seemed to spill into forum life too.

Of course it's about UGC. That's all it generates, but that's not SEM.

But you'll note that there is zero UGC on Gibson's homepage. Nods to its social media presence, and perhaps a RT, but none of this forum drivel. And why would there be? Just because there's a long "what are you listening to thread" doesn't mean that Gibson wants to feature it nor derives any value from it. When was the last time any forum content was featured elsewhere? Probably because it bears little value.

Perhaps Gibson wants to use the forum to join the conversation. But based on how frequently Gibson participates, I'd say that's out too.

Shame on them if they're using forum posts for market research. That'd be dumb. I sincerely doubt that this forum is a good cross section of their market, so I doubt they're using it that way.

While it's possible that they're keeping it open just in case that jewel of a post rolls in, like Keith Richards and Joe Perry join and get into an insightful tone fight and they'll be able to point it out to the world, or they're just leaving it running because it only loses a little bit of money each month and they've got bigger fish to fry. I'm thinking the latter.

I wonder how many people have been influenced here to go out and buy some new piece of gear that they might not otherwise have done. You know, kinda like "keepin up with the Jones'"

A few extra Les Paul sales a year might pay for this Forum. :-k

I fully agree with the point Saturn makes above.

I ended up with three LPs more than intended and I blame thank the forum and it's members for the part they unwittingly played in the process.

Furthermore when I was shopping for a cheap'n'cheerful acoustic to leave at our 'base' in France I bought an Epi Hummingbird.

That's four sales which, without this forum, almost certainly wouldn't have come to pass...

Pip.

Archived