Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
fishandchips

New L-5 Crimson etc.

Does anyone have views on the way contemporary L-5s (wes and ces mostly i suppose) stand to L-5s built since the 90's

hutch vs whorton

are there important differences in build? certainly the new ones look different (and better to my eye).

keen to get informed views.

thanks!

Not sure about the spec but I have played both and I really love the new Crimson L-5. As a side note, I knew Hutch and do know Whorton, and they both had/have the passion and desire to build the best instruments possible. I miss Hutch and all of his knowledge. The only difference that I can think of is that this generation of guitars being made has a much broader range of wood dealers to select top quality wood from. In the 50's you pretty much had to deal with local suppliers as making long distance contacts was either by mail or very expensive long-distance phone calls so you didn't have as much wood to select from.

Hi,

I don't know enough the older generation, but I have the new L-5ces NA Custom Crimson.

This guitar is simply madness, totally amazing.

Sound,sound,sound. And of course, very beautiful Hand Crafted. Simply superlative.

The guitar of my life! [smile]

C.