Gibson Brands Forums

Ltd Ed Don Everly SQ-180EB

Bob Isaac

Did they recommend a case?

I have asked Epiphone Europe directly about a case for the SQ 180 Neil Diamond Signature guitar and they replied that they didn't have the model at hand to say for sure, only that the Dreadnought Hard Case should fit but that the 940-EJumbo case might be a better fit. To find out for sure they advised to take the guitar to one of the authorized dealers in the region.

From Wiki - it is a laminate back and sides - and top

Yeah it's been corrected now, but back at the end of September when this thread was started the Wiki stated "solid back and sides with select spruce top" which left us all scratching our heads.

• 2 weeks later...

300px-NeildimaondSQ80.jpg

I recently got the chance to purchase one of those rarer Epiphone SQ-180 Neil Diamond Signature guitars, one that was apparently made back in 2000. I'll post some actual pictures of it once it gets delivered next week.

From what I could dig up in the Internet, the Neil Diamond Signature guitar received very favorable reviews back then by the (specialized) press despite the lukewarm promotion by Neil himself for the product.

The ultimate plan is to convert it to a lefty — well, we'll see how that turns out...

• 2 weeks later...

The Neil Diamond got finally delivered, and I took her straight to the luthier. For a 15-year-old model she's in good shape in terms of appearance. Technically, though, the action on the treble side was way too high and re-adjusting the neck proved problematic as well. Turning the truss rod had initially no effect on the neck relief of the guitar, which gave me a good scare. However, later on, and with much brute force, did the truss rod turn re-aligning the neck.

The guitar is currently being converted to left handed, and unfortunately I won't have her back before December (the luthier is pretty busy atm).

For anyone still looking for the right case, I bought Epiphone's Dreadnought hard case for the guitar which turns out to be a good fit (I tried in the store first).

Archived