Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Not So Sure About This......

Murph

A Spanish teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.

'House' for instance, is feminine: 'la casa.' 'Pencil,' however, is masculine: el lapiz.'

A student asked, 'What gender is 'computer'?' Instead of just giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether computer' should be a masculine or a feminine noun.

Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The men's group decided that 'computer' should definitely be of the feminine gender ('la computadora'), because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2 The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself

spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.

The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be Masculine ('el computador'), because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a better model.

The women won.

That's a nice one. I think it may apply to guitars.

Many people would think it's male :

- their actions vary depending on neck bending

- they get richer when ageing

- their top is rather flat though their belly increase with time

However, at least in french it is commonly known as female (une guitare) :

- usually mounted with string underwear

- vibrate through the whole body

- sometimes need an humidifier

- their top often use x-wonderbracing

- they get louder as they age

A Spanish teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.

'House' for instance, is feminine: 'la casa.' 'Pencil,' however, is masculine: el lapiz.'

A student asked, 'What gender is 'computer'?' Instead of just giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether computer' should be a masculine or a feminine noun.

Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The men's group decided that 'computer' should definitely be of the feminine gender ('la computadora'), because:

The nice name for the pc I work on at this very moment is 'The Pig'.

But the far worse name is female and the same as when you hit your thumb instead of the nail with a hammer.

But my Mac laptop and old iMac and iPad are used for joyful activities like guitar recording, video, photography, forum browsing, guitar hunting.......to exclaims of how wonderful technology is, but no names for them...as yet.

BluesKing777.

Very funny, and I'm still not sure, too, although the computer's German grammar gender is defined as male, same as the German word for computer, Rechner, denominating all sorts of calculators, whatever that means [rolleyes]

Very funny, and I'm still not sure, too, although the computer's German grammar gender is defined as male, same as the German word for computer, Rechner, denominating all sorts of calculators, whatever that means [rolleyes]

I have always found it interesting that the Germans refer to their country or home as the "Fatherland", as opposed to most others who say "Motherland".

I have always found it interesting that the Germans refer to their country or home as the "Fatherland", as opposed to most others who say "Motherland".

In German the term "Motherland" means a country as opposed to colonies or an exclave in the broadest sense. As an example, the lower 48 would be the "Motherland" of Hawaii.

Archived