Gibson Brands Forums

Non-QuickConnect Pickups into a QuickConnect guitar

jc1funk

Finding it close to impossible to find and buy QuickConnect pickups; even the Gibson online store is "out of stock".

Thinking I have two options (not interested in gutting it and installing a traditional setup), can anyone shed light on how feasible these are by answering my questions:

(To go in a 2014 LP Standard)

1. Buy a four conductor pup and a 5 pin plug and make my own (where would I get a plug from?)

2. Buy a four conductor pup and have my tech "solder" it in without compromising or damaging the existing PCB setup so I can return it to stock or reinstall the original pickup in the future (is that even possible?)

And while I'm at it, I gotta say while I would have preferred a traditional wiring setup in my first LP, I figured why not take advantage of the QuickConnect and try a different pickup. My usual cynicism tells me this QuickConnect palaver is mainly just a way of making the manufacturing process cheaper, but figured they'd built in a feature some would enjoy and find extremely useful (as well as the potential for more pickup sales). Based on the fact that these QuickConnect pickups are so hard to get hold of I'm starting to think the whole thing is a purely cynical ploy with no intent to make it worthwhile for customers. Quite a disappointing experience TBH. End rant.

Thanks for any help.

Don't know how long it takes to order a pup from Gibson....are they still using the quick-connect?

But that's one option.

The other, if you kinda care, is to just remove it altogether, put it aside, and use all new. It's only 4 pots and 2 caps. That don't break the bank at all.

A little more work to re-wire the whole thing, but you don't have to worry about damaging or "degrading" the pcb, or the old pups, should you want to go back.

Don't know how long it takes to order a pup from Gibson....are they still using the quick-connect?

But that's one option.

The other, if you kinda care, is to just remove it altogether, put it aside, and use all new. It's only 4 pots and 2 caps. That don't break the bank at all.

A little more work to re-wire the whole thing, but you don't have to worry about damaging or "degrading" the pcb, or the old pups, should you want to go back.

After spending that much on a guitar I'm not really keen on spending any more at all (apart from what's absolutely necessary, like the pickup), however, looks like I might have to consider it...

Coupla qs

1. Can I not use the existing pots? Why do I need new ones?

2. Will changing it all out still maintain the full functionality (phase split, circuit bypass) including the compensated coil tap and tone control?

Dump the PCB for real wiring in my opinion. I can't imagine that putting the PCB back in, returning it to stock, will make it any more valuable then point-to-point wiring with regular pots and wires

For context, it's not about value (resale or otherwise). I actually see a great value in being able to cheaply and easily experiment with different pickups; I see it as a means to do what I couldn't otherwise do with such ease, ie fully explore and develop the sound I'm going for with this guitar. So I'd like to be able to return to that state once the immediate need for the changed pickup has passed (upcoming recording session).

Once I've settled on a pickup I'd be inclined to gut it and rewire... in the meantime I want to take advantage of what should be a feature working for me, not against me.

After spending that much on a guitar I'm not really keen on spending any more at all (apart from what's absolutely necessary, like the pickup), however, looks like I might have to consider it...

Coupla qs

1. Can I not use the existing pots? Why do I need new ones?

2. Will changing it all out still maintain the full functionality (phase split, circuit bypass) including the compensated coil tap and tone control?

Point I was making is that "electronics", the parts, are pretty cheap.

I don't know how it's wired, or how you WANT to have it wired, but you can have it any way you want.

If you ain't keen on re-wiring the whole thing (effort), or paying to have it done, nothing wrong with soldering to the board, or even splicing the old pup wires to new.

I'm not sure if these would help. They're the adapter plugs they include with the pickups. They may be the wrong end of the plug for you.

You're welcome to them if they'll help.

1939CC09-B66B-406C-91BE-FFD7C77DB576_zpsna8dlvlm.jpg

Very kind, thank you, but I'm pretty sure I need a male 5 pin. AFAIK your adapter there will help someone use a newer 5 pin connected pickup in an older style Quick Connect Gibson... maybe even others?

Can I ask... is the new 57 Classic + a 4 conductor or 2? And if a 4 where you found it for sale?

Very kind, thank you, but I'm pretty sure I need a male 5 pin. AFAIK your adapter there will help someone use a newer 5 pin connected pickup in an older style Quick Connect Gibson... maybe even others?

Can I ask... is the new 57 Classic + a 4 conductor or 2? And if a 4 where you found it for sale?

2 conductor from MF @ 15% off.

They also advertise the 4 conductor version

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/humbucker-pickups/gibson-57-classic-4-conductor-humbucker-pickup?pfm=sp

Archived