Gibson Brands Forums

es 335 custom (memphis) satin cherry finish

nigelchadwick

Hi,

can anyone shed light on the difference between a 'standard' es 335 and one designated 'custom' (memphis) ?

for example, the custom has an orange label, and has the custom (small black folder) certificate, and black case with 'custom' decal. But, the satin cherry, (with tulip tuners and ES335 on the truss cover).....what differentiates this from a 'standard' 335.......or do they all nowadays come out of the memphis workshop - and in effect are they all custom ?

Then there is price; I think the satin cherry custom is actually retailing at less than standard tri/sunburst 335 (gloss); but its very difficult to find the satin cherry custom in the UK. If the price is less for a custom than a 'standard' - why this differential; assuming custom would be better built or use better materials ?

If anyone can shed some light on this I would be very grateful. As I cannot ascertain whether there is any difference from the information available out there - including the gibson website !

many thanks

All of the 335's are from Memphis, and Gibson is calling Memphis "Custom". All of the 335's are thus referred to as "Memphis Custom". They are actually production guitars, not custom shop/master built types.

The price differential for satin vs. gloss finish is attributable to the difference in labor, materials and production time.

Archived