Gibson Brands Forums

NGD in the not too distant future

SteveT2

I currently have an SG with the 490/498 p'ups. I like them for harder rock stuff but they don't have much subtlety to them at all. On NGD I'm going to be looking for LP. Playing-wise I'm into the rock and blues type of stuff. So while I do like an aggressive p'up I want to be able to cover clean to mean. I've always had Fenders before so I'm not as well versed in the Gibson's as I'd like to be. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you

Interesting.

Last week a guitarist visited me and we compared his 1992 LP Classic (rosewood board, hi-output HB pups) with my LP Custom with P90s.

He had his action up higher so his tone was better (I realised my action was a bit too low) but the difference in pickup output was enormous - his HBs seemed to be twice as powerful as my P90s.

Nonetheless mine had a certain zing and twang which his didn't (he was the one who said this).

I think his LP had some sort of 'ceramic-magnet'(?) pups - forum members please correct me if this is wrong!

It's worth trying P90s though many people would think a LP OUGHT to have HBs. P90s certainly cover 'clean to mean' but they do hum at high gain and just don't have the extraordinary high output of some HBs.

I think his LP had some sort of 'ceramic-magnet'(?) pups - forum members please correct me if this is wrong!

Yes.. you are correct.. the Classics generally come with the 496R and 500T also known as the ceramic twins :)

And yes, they are two of the hottest (loudest) pickups that Gibson make so that's what you were hearing... Often TOO loud and harsh for some peoples ears but I love them on my Classic.. I get those hot 80s rock sounds if I want them but it dials back quite nicely too [thumbup]

My LP Classic HAD the Ceramic pickups (stock) as well. After years of just not quite getting the LP sound, I remembered (and loved)

in my youth, I switched them, to Classic 57's ('57 neck, '57+ at the bridge)...and, I couldn't be happier with the tone and volume

I get now. Still, that's just Me!

[biggrin]

CB

Interesting.

Last week a guitarist visited me and we compared his 1992 LP Classic (rosewood board, hi-output HB pups) with my LP Custom with P90s.

He had his action up higher so his tone was better (I realised my action was a bit too low) but the difference in pickup output was enormous - his HBs seemed to be twice as powerful as my P90s.

Nonetheless mine had a certain zing and twang which his didn't (he was the one who said this).

It's worth trying P90s though many people would think a LP OUGHT to have HBs. P90s certainly cover 'clean to mean' but they do hum at high gain and just don't have the extraordinary high output of some HBs.

A few months ago I did play a friend's 52 I believe LP with what I'm assuming were P90s. He's actually a drummer and it was his Dad's guitar so he wasn't 100% sure either. But at any rate, WOAH, what a nice punchy sound. I can see why people like them so much. But I really don't think I want that full time. I am kinda in the HB camp on this. But thank you for your input

My LP Classic HAD the Ceramic pickups (stock) as well. After years of just not quite getting the LP sound, I remembered (and loved)

in my youth, I switched them, to Classic 57's ('57 neck, '57+ at the bridge)...and, I couldn't be happier with the tone and volume

I get now. Still, that's just Me!

[biggrin]

CB

That's kind of the direction I think I'm leaning towards myself. I like a nice warm smooth sound that can really sing when you want it too but not really into heavy metal land. I do like a bit of a metal tone but I can't play metal to save my life

I've got an SG standard and a LP Standard with those pickups.

The LP has more clarity, no question. if you're using a ton of gain you will probably not pick it out, but there is a very distinct difference when you've backed off the gain and going for more bluesy, cleaner sounds. Also if you use the middle position and throttle back the neck pickups volume control, you can bright that setting up quite a lot.

There is also a LP that uses mini-humbuckers (but I can't recall its name) - worth at least trying one - they are a nice flexible pickup not a million miles from a P90 but without the hum. I have one in my 69 Epiphone and it is quite hot output and cuts through well in a band - bright with tone setting high, but you can take the edge off by decreasing tone setting. You probably wouldn't want one as your only guitar as it doesn't have the traditional LP growl of full humbuckers, but since you already have that covered, it'd at least be worth trying before you decide.

all the best.

I switched out my Classic's ceramic pickups for lower output burst bucker 1s. Couldn't be happier along the whole spectrum of rock guitar sounds. Very clean and subtle cleans. Overdrives perfectly on a nice tube amp (obviously perfectly for me). [thumbup]

I've got an SG standard and a LP Standard with those pickups.

The LP has more clarity, no question. if you're using a ton of gain you will probably not pick it out, but there is a very distinct difference when you've backed off the gain and going for more bluesy, cleaner sounds. Also if you use the middle position and throttle back the neck pickups volume control, you can bright that setting up quite a lot.

I use a Blackstar HT20 Studio, gain rarely goes past 12 o'clock. If I want to punch it up some I use either a TS9 or a Blues Driver 2 with or without compressor.Depends on which channel I'm using. TS on OD channel, BD on clean. Usually controls on guitar are wide open, I get lazy like that but slowly getting better in my old age. I think I'm leaning towards 57 classics or Burstbuckers

There is also a LP that uses mini-humbuckers (but I can't recall its name) - worth at least trying one - they are a nice flexible pickup not a million miles from a P90 but without the hum. I have one in my 69 Epiphone and it is quite hot output and cuts through well in a band - bright with tone setting high, but you can take the edge off by decreasing tone setting. You probably wouldn't want one as your only guitar as it doesn't have the traditional LP growl of full humbuckers, but since you already have that covered, it'd at least be worth trying before you decide.

all the best.

Hadn't really thought about mimis before. Food for thought though. Thank you

I switched out my Classic's ceramic pickups for lower output burst bucker 1s. Couldn't be happier along the whole spectrum of rock guitar sounds. Very clean and subtle cleans. Overdrives perfectly on a nice tube amp (obviously perfectly for me). [thumbup]

Not a bad idea. Easier to punch sounds up than to take away

In fact if we look at the pickup chart you can see the 500t is almost double the output of a P90

782216GibsonChart_zps4y1rqp09.jpg

Just my opinion, but i think if people judge a pickup solely by output alone you're really not doing them justice. Sure, there are many pickups hotter than 57 classics and mini humbuckers, but they dont have the same tone or mojo the lesser output ones have either, especially clean. I suppose if i was into metal that chart would be handy, but each person should try each pickup in person to really get the feel of the mojo of its tone and see if it works your style of music. Didnt Les Paul himself prefer the low output pickups too? Not sayin that is the be all end all, it worked for him, im just saying we all have to find what works for our tone/sound/playstyle.

And while some pickups show great versatility one trick ponys arent all bad either, if the one trick is done to perfection. [biggrin]

The problem with pickups is it is not like test driving a car. I cant order a set of pups from someone and if I don't like them return them. The only winder I have ever heard do this is Lindy Fralin. If there are any others let know. Not to mention if I play a guitar at GC and it is not the same guitar through the same amp have at home with the same pups I want to install it is of course going to sound different.

Tell me about it. I replaced the stock neck and bridge p'ups in my Am Strat with some DiMarzio Area series. Not impressed. They don't sound BAD bad but they sound they're short of breath or something. The neck one, I think its a 58, I can live with but the bridge one is going back to stock. My only problem with the stock one was the noise but i'll live with that if the tone pots I'm putting in don't help. Funny you mention Fralin, I saw a set in the store when I was dropping it off. Thought about it but I don't know. I need to buy a house first. Then more guitar goodies

My LP Trad Pro II has 57 classic in the bridge and 57 classic PLus on the neck. Great tone, I am actually looking to ger a nwe SG Std T with 490/498 doing the opposite of you.

I like my SG for what it does, it does really well and it'll happily stay with me. But I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons a bit. Rock on my friend [smile]

Just my opinion, but i think if people judge a pickup solely by output alone you're really not doing them justice. Sure, there are many pickups hotter than 57 classics and mini humbuckers, but they dont have the same tone or mojo the lesser output ones have either, especially clean. I suppose if i was into metal that chart would be handy, but each person should try each pickup in person to really get the feel of the mojo of its tone and see if it works your style of music. Didnt Les Paul himself prefer the low output pickups too? Not sayin that is the be all end all, it worked for him, im just saying we all have to find what works for our tone/sound/playstyle.

And while some pickups show great versatility one trick ponys arent all bad either, if the one trick is done to perfection. [biggrin]

Im in no way suggesting that a person should judge a pickup just by the output level...

Firstly I was mainly answering JDGMs post where he said he noticed that his friends Classics humbuckers sounded much louder than the P90s... and also that's why in the chart I posted they also have a description of the pickup as well as the output (which im sure is only a rough guide anyway) :)

Of course theres way more to it than that. (if there wernt we wouldn't be on here endlessly discussing such things).

I also have a 2004 Gibson with PAFs which I love - so which pups on the chart are equivalent to PAFs?

There was a "which PAF?" thread on here a few months back and some members don't like them......

Isn't the PAF design the original Gibson humbucker?

... while I do like an aggressive p'up I want to be able to cover clean to mean. I've always had Fenders before so I'm not as well versed in the Gibson's as I'd like to be. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you

I used to struggle with bouncing back and forth between humbuckers (my Gibsons normally) and single coils (my Fenders normally) with the same rig (amp and pedals). Once I started using lower gain humbuckers (8k max generally) and a bit higher gain single coils (8-10k generally) the problem went away. That's about all I know - but it worked for me.

Archived