Gibson Brands Forums

Grovers or Gotoh

Greg1967

I put some Grover Roto-Grip locking Rotomatics on my SG 70's Tribute. I'm kind of disappointed with them. They don't feel like a quality machined part. Two or three of them feel softer when the keys are turned as opposed to the others that have a more firm feel to them. I have Gotoh Magnum locking tuners on my Les Paul. They feel much more solid when turning. The individual pieces of the tuning machine feels like they are assembled better and there are no flimsy or loose fitting parts. The gears feel like they have a higher tolerance than the Grovers. The reason I am bringing this up is that my A string tends to go out of tune more often than not. As opposed to the G string which I bend the hell out of. I just had a new Tusq nut put on it. There is no binding issues. I just keep coming back to the tuners. I do realize the gear ration on the Grovers is 18:1 as opposed to the 16:1 on the Gotoh. I'm sure that has something to do with the softer feel of the Grovers. Anyone else have a say on Grovers vs Gotoh? Changed out one for the other and was happy or unhappy?

Typically it goes flat. I sprinkle a bit of graphite on the slot. That sometimes helps. Also I'm wondering if I need to leave a bit more string on the peg. Maybe wrap it at least once around. I see different opinions on what amounts of string to leave on locking tuners.I have a strat with fender locking tuners and I leave just about 1/8 of an inch of exposed string .

Regardless of the issue, sealed gear Gotoh's always outperform Grover's. Tighter precision tolerances of the gears and string posts that don't tilt are main advantages. They usually weigh less too.

Ever notice how a Grover string posts wobbles when the string is off and a Gotoh does not? Helps eliminate backlash and improve stability. Sperzels are about the only other vendor utilizing this feature.

For the record, every tuning problem I have had with an SG has been the nut. Every one. I don't know if it is the angle of the strings coming off the nut to the tuners, but SGs nut slots seem to be extra special.

Archived