Gibson Brands Forums

Which is the best guitar in term of quality built by Epipĥone ?

Daniel Limoges

Hi everyone !

For the last 3 weeks my research about my next guitar (no matter which one between Les Paul Gibson & Epiphone) ... is still without succes !

So i ask to Epiphone (& all of you) which is the Guitar that you have made which is the best in term of quality built : Wood ect ...

At the same time i'm still in search of the Gibson sound ...

I cannot make a decision ... too much information !

I love the crunchy sound ... a good Rock sound (not too Heavy).

My budget was 2000$ CAD it's was for a gibson ... but in my mind Epiphone seems to be more attractives because of the price but also because many people said that the Gibson price is so exagerated !

It's why i ask you, here about the quality built of the Epiphone. I want quality for the many years to come with a Gibson sounds ! ! !

I did my research at this store because i think they are all there with good descriptions : http://www.musicians...iphone?N=610040

Thank you all

Daniel

If you want the most desirable Epiphone model and "the Gibson sound," then look for a used Epiphone Elite/Elitist Les Paul or SG. They were made in Japan (now discontinued); the Les Paul models can generally be found for ~$800-1000 USD on eBay, and the SG models can be had for ~$600.

As for guitars still in production, that would probably be one of these five models:

VS_Splash.jpg

Les Paul Tribute Plus

LPBonamassa_PE_Splash.jpg

Joe Bonamassa Signature Les Paul

SlashRCLP_Splash.jpg

Slash Rosso Corsa Les Paul

SheratonIIPro_EB_Splash.jpg

Sheraton II

ES339P90Pro_WR_Splash.jpg

ES-339 P90 Pro

The first two that I've posted - the Les Paul Tribute and the Joe Bonamassa Les Paul signature models - both come with Gibson pickups. The third one, the Slash Rosso Corsa Les Paul, comes with Seymour Duncan Alnico II pickups. I have also included the Sheraton and the ES 339 semi-hollow models, as they are in the same family of guitars as some of Gibson's most famous ES-series models.

In terms of getting "the Gibson sound," my impression is that those are considered Epiphone's most desirable models. ("Best" is more subjective). Ironically, the Tribute and the Joe Bonamassa models are arguably more true to the vintage designs than today's Gibson models - those Epiphone models feature long neck tenons and solid bodies with no weight relief. (I personally don't care about those features, but a lot of Gibson purists spend thousands of dollars on Gibson custom shop models with those specs!)

It really boils down to what you're looking for, though. Do you want a modern, high gain sound or something more vintage (or do you mostly play clean)? Do you like a slim neck, a fat neck, something in the middle? Do you like humbuckers or active pickups or single coil/P90s? Do you have any guitarist in mind who inspires you?

Epiphone offers many more options than the ones I've laid out, but it wouldn't help you much to narrow your search if I sent you a link to every great guitar Epiphone produces. I'd be interested in hearing more about what YOU want in a guitar so we can figure out some good options for you to check out.

If you want the most desirable Epiphone model and "the Gibson sound," then look for a used Epiphone Elite/Elitist Les Paul or SG. They were made in Japan (now discontinued); the Les Paul models can generally be found for ~$800-1000 USD on eBay, and the SG models can be had for ~$600.

As for guitars still in production, that would probably be one of these five models:

It really boils down to what you're looking for, though. Do you want a modern, high gain sound or something more vintage (or do you mostly play clean)? Do you like a slim neck, a fat neck, something in the middle? Do you like humbuckers or active pickups or single coil/P90s? Do you have any guitarist in mind who inspires you?

Epiphone offers many more options than the ones I've laid out, but it wouldn't help you much to narrow your search if I sent you a link to every great guitar Epiphone produces. I'd be interested in hearing more about what YOU want in a guitar so we can figure out some good options for you to check out.

Hi thank you for your time:

As mentionned, my demand is turns around a good quality build guitar.

Well first of all i am not a real guitar player !

I play well but for composition only : i'm 53 so for me the stage is from the past .. from 1989 to 1992 i have composed many song that i have never finished !

I still have all of my compositions on 4 track K7 & also on floppy disk 3.5 for my the midi part !

Today it's a restart & i will finished my works !

Yes Old guitar music from the 70's -80's are really fun to play ... but modern is also great !

But for modern i already have a JTV-69 VAriax from Line 6 which try to emulate the Gibson sounds !

I like play enjoyable music to the ear and not something too thundering...my voice is sharp a bit like Geddy Lee.

I am not a heavy man & not a soft man either : I really love the crunchy Gibson sounds but at the same time a good powered solo who puts the song in an other scale (for a moment) is provides energy for the rest of the song.

Rarely i play clean but it's always good to have !

Yes I play rock but not like dirty heavy metal stuff !

Crunchy distorsion but well controlled !

I already have a Fender Strat that i found not crunchy at all : he sounds of the fender is soft & round...

Gibson & Epiphone are like Chainsaw ...

I don't have big hands & long fingers so a middle neck (?) like the Fender is the way to go for me : i'm 5-9

About artist example, no ! ...

About Pickups : the 57 like the Tribute plus sounds great ! ... but what do i know ?

If i buy a Gibson all my money will disappear & there will be not enough money for a good amp ... because a good guitar with a bad amp = bad sounds.

I already have a Fender Mustang III V2 ... & if i buy an Epiphone , the rest of the money will go to a great amp !

Any of Epiphone's Les Paul custom models from the late 90's to the present day, whether new or used, will do well for you. Take out the pickups and replace with some Gibson or Seymour Duncan ones and you'll get the sound you're looking for. You'll also get a great looking guitar!

I'm a low maintenance kinda guy so I went for a used 2007 LPC. The modern LPC models all have push pull pots which give more options to those who need or want them.

In that case, the Les Paul Tribute is definitely the way to go. It's based on 1960 Les Paul specs, so it's going to have a slimmer neck than the '50s style "baseball bat" necks on a lot of older Gibson LPs. Not that the neck is toothpick thin, mind you - it's a good middle ground, Epiphone's SlimTaper D profile.

That model can be had for $700 new, case included, and it's a damn fine guitar.

EDIT: The Epi Les Paul Custom is also a great guitar. I personally don't see the need to swap out the pickups, especially if you get the Custom Pro that has Epi's upgraded Pro series pickups. The neck is a bit slimmer, which I like, and the back of the neck is kind of flat (again, another plus for me), but some people prefer the rounder profile of the Tribute.

The biggest difference between the Custom and the Tribute is that the Tribute comes with a genuine maple cap, like on a Gibson Les Paul, whereas the Custom just has mahogany. In that regard, the Tribute is more true to the specs of a Gibson Les Paul. (That being said, for a few years in the '50s, the Gibson LP Custom was also made with a mahogany cap...).

The point is, they are both great guitars. My suggestion is to try out the Tribute and the Custom and see which you like better. You can't go wrong either way.

In that case, the Les Paul Tribute is definitely the way to go. It's based on 1960 Les Paul specs, so it's going to have a slimmer neck than the '50s style "baseball bat" necks on a lot of older Gibson LPs. Not that the neck is toothpick thin, mind you - it's a good middle ground, Epiphone's SlimTaper D profile.

That model can be had for $700 new, case included, and it's a damn fine guitar.

EDIT: The Epi Les Paul Custom is also a great guitar. I personally don't see the need to swap out the pickups, especially if you get the Custom Pro that has Epi's upgraded Pro series pickups. The neck is a bit slimmer, which I like, and the back of the neck is kind of flat (again, another plus for me), but some people prefer the rounder profile of the Tribute.

The biggest difference between the Custom and the Tribute is that the Tribute comes with a genuine maple cap, like on a Gibson Les Paul, whereas the Custom just has mahogany. In that regard, the Tribute is more true to the specs of a Gibson Les Paul. (That being said, for a few years in the '50s, the Gibson LP Custom was also made with a mahogany cap...).

The point is, they are both great guitars. My suggestion is to try out the Tribute and the Custom and see which you like better. You can't go wrong either way.

I know this might seem slightly heretical but I would suggest you take a serious look at the 2015 Gibson LP Special DC. By all accounts the majority of the Gibson 2015 offerings are rubbish but the Special DC is an absolute steal. OK it comes with the weird tuning thingy but it isn't actually intrusive and is easily replaced if you want but the neck is gorgeous, the P90's are some of the best Gibson has produced for a long time going from sweet to snarl without becoming harsh, the body is light and resonant and best of all - it's stupidly cheap (£589.00 inc hardcase in the UK) Unlike the majority of low/mid priced Gibsons this one is something special.

I know this might seem slightly heretical but I would suggest you take a serious look at the 2015 Gibson LP Special DC. By all accounts the majority of the Gibson 2015 offerings are rubbish but the Special DC is an absolute steal. OK it comes with the weird tuning thingy but it isn't actually intrusive and is easily replaced if you want but the neck is gorgeous, the P90's are some of the best Gibson has produced for a long time going from sweet to snarl without becoming harsh, the body is light and resonant and best of all - it's stupidly cheap (£589.00 inc hardcase in the UK) Unlike the majority of low/mid priced Gibsons this one is something special.

I've tried out a couple of those. I'm definitely a fan of any doublecut with a slab body, but I really can't get along with the necks on the 2015 LP Specials - WAY too wide at the nut. I don't have very big hands, and the OP mentions that his hands aren't that large either. For that reason, I wouldn't suggest that model for him.

It's really a shame, too, because those double cut LP Specials have always had a killer sound and aesthetic.

If "crunchy" is what you want, I would say look at (and I mean PLAY) a Gibson LP Special type, or an SG type, with P-90 pickups.

Also, maybe look at a Tribute with the Mini-humbuckers in it.

The Gibson models, those with the satin finishes and such, are pretty darned affordable, and also a big step up from the Epiphone models.

So, that is to say, the cruchiest pups ever made, for sure, are P-90's, and Mini-humbuckers (I haven't tried the new ones...traditionally, I mean mostly the Epiphone/Gibson type made from the 60's on...don't know if the current ones follow the same recipe).

And also, while I read that Epiphone pups have improved, I don't think there is really a reason NOT to have the real Gibson ones. And just so you know, the Gibson pups DO hold up against the "boutique" offerings as well as genuine vintage pups.

For now my choice is the Tribute plus, but is it the 60's Flametop as we see in this video :

It's the same ? **There is a number to identify the guitar in every store ?**

http://www.epiphone....lus-Outfit.aspx ...

https://www.long-mcq...aded_Cherry.htm

yes, all the links you posted are the same model. you should be able to identify in every store by asking for an Epiphone Les Pau Tribute.

I've tried out a couple of those. I'm definitely a fan of any doublecut with a slab body, but I really can't get along with the necks on the 2015 LP Specials - WAY too wide at the nut. I don't have very big hands, and the OP mentions that his hands aren't that large either. For that reason, I wouldn't suggest that model for him.

It's really a shame, too, because those double cut LP Specials have always had a killer sound and aesthetic.

Interestingly I also have quite small hands with slightly stubby fingers but I absolutely loved the neck on the 2015 LP Special DC. Having said that I like the profile of a 58 LP neck so fat wide necks are my preference.

Archived