Gibson Brands Forums

Hey hey My my

Homz

eric clapton came out said rock was dead as well. as long as there is a guitar, bass, drums, and vox. rock and roll will never die.

in fact,

people have tired to dismantle it by playing "keytars " and other electrical guitar making noise boxes lol

when you listen to most songs(lets say from 2000 to 2009) , listen to the formats of how they are played.

a good portion of them is played in a 1/4/5 progression.

a good rock progression.

I think music has changed from "cool guitar solos" to "cool lyrics, catchy chorus, cool beat" in other words, they like songs they can relate, remember, and dance horribly too.

there is so much technology now to make diffrent sounding music, (like the GNR Chinese dem.)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Beatles called themselves a rock n' roll group' date=' and thats good enough for me. And Zep wasn't really the first of their kind, and I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but the original Jeff Beck Group had a very similar sound (I'd argue better) and they disbanded before Zep began

[/quote']

Yes in many ways Jeff Beck's band was better. This is coming form a die hard zep fan so soak it up. But Zeppelin was not out there to be better they were there because they wanted to make music and that was all that really mattered to them. Now tying this back to the modern rock it is all about becoming famous not making music. And when people start making music for a real reason instead of money i need to get there cd.

It seems like every ten years or so some new genre will come in and take over the scene....at least for a few

years until it fizzes out or it spawns new subgenres. I look back 20 years and see how the hair band craze

was running out of steam and ultimately became dinosaurs. I actually loathed the Seattle grunge craze and

hoped to GOD it would die a horrible death before it spread like a disease. My perspective of it now is a bit different

because I learned to loathe what came after it even more. Rock music or "popular music" is ever-changing, but

everything's moving so fast that you can't depend on anything moderately good to last anymore. Like H-Bomb said,

I had high hopes for bands like Wolfmother too, because they brought back a vibe that was cool and a joy to listen

too. Call it nostalgia, but only a handful of bands nowdays have any substance. Some of the radio-friendly nu-ish

metal isn't terrible, but again if I turn on the radio and listen to 5 songs in a row, I can't tell any of them apart.

I feel blessed I grew up in the 70's and 80's and got to absorb all the best Rock music had to offer, and what the hell

at least it's preserved. But concerning the youth growing up today, I don't envy them. I do hope something amazing

does come along that will be memorable ten or twenty years from now. Right now, I'm not impressed.

Not as good as my band. Unfortunately' date=' we have a new lead singer...he isn't as good as one when this video was shot.

[/quote']

I just had to go back and watch your band again. you must have had a fence between the band and throngs of adoring fans. They were probably just behind the camera. Right?

Great song selection too. I had forgotten just how (shall we say) unique " The Final Countdown" was. Keep rocking. If you ever need an opening act my band is there for you. [-o<

Hey hey! My my, Neil Young sucks.

Every colossal superstar band you bootlicking fanboys masturbate over was a product of the record industry.

SO, since the record/radio industry defined rock and roll for so many... and now that the record/radio industry as we knew it is getting pushed aside by the internet's freedom of choice, music lovers have more agency than music businessmen in what they listen to. It's a new frontier with unlimited options. And Rock and Roll will remain one of them.

The REAL ISSUE is cultivating local scenes for live music. Especially in this time when people favor karaoke and "rock band" video games at home. Put your money where your mouth is: quit whining in chatrooms about losing battles in the culture war and open a live music venue (judging by the gear collections some of you brag about, some mothers in here have the money), gig in a band, do SOMETHING to bring the cultural focus to live music. Get off your fat *** and play out, otherwise patronize live music or feed it somehow.

Hey hey! My my' date=' Neil Young sucks.

Every colossal superstar band you bootlicking fanboys masturbate over was a product of the record industry.

SO, since the record/radio industry defined rock and roll for so many... and now that the record/radio industry as we knew it is getting pushed aside by the internet's freedom of choice, music lovers have more agency than music businessmen in what they listen to. It's a new frontier with unlimited options. And Rock and Roll will remain one of them.

[b']The REAL ISSUE is cultivating local scenes for live music.[/b] Especially in this time when people favor karaoke and "rock band" video games at home. Put your money where your mouth is: quit whining in chatrooms about losing battles in the culture war and open a live music venue (judging by the gear collections some of you brag about, some mothers in here have the money), gig in a band, do SOMETHING to bring the cultural focus to live music. Get off your fat *** and play out, otherwise patronize live music or feed it somehow.

Not all true. The Doors and Deep Purple both spent half of there band's career producing their own work. they did not have record companies for a long time. Also even mainstream bands did not have big record companies. Led Zeppelin in the early years were still riding out the contract they got with Yardbirds. The truth is yes many bands were a product of record labels but there were band's that marched to their own tune and not somebody else's.

...somehow REAL guitar rock keeps getting put to the side in favor of reverse-mullet hairstyles' date=' Hot Topic fascion (yes, I spelled it right...lol), godawful toneless guitar noise and the increasing cardboard-box-slap sounds of triggered double-kick drums. It's all such a herd mentality, and to be unique nowadays is a sin. If you don't have the right "menacing" hunched-over stare/glare, proper amount of piercings in your face or aren't wearing the approved apparel, you're not part of the gang.

[/quote']

#-o

You sure know what you are talking about man! (based in the fact that I think the same!)

I love it when the "metal" guys see my simple old-school' date=' passive-pickup'd, vibrola-equipped SG guitars and my non-uber-gain amp (set on about "5" on the drive and volume) and they comment on how non-brutal a rig it is. Then they always ask me how I get such strong sounds live without a lot of overdrive. I show them my knobs ("...see this? This is my MIDRANGE. Turn the midrange up, not the other way around..."), demonstrate my rockstar stance and a hard-hit a-chord and say "that's all you need to do." [/quote']

=D> 2 thumbs up man! Its irritating for me to see how many players use that "V" eq (highs at 10, mids at 0, lows at 10) and they wonder why they cant get the tone they want or the tone I usually have. When did this happen? I remember in the 80s most players had good tone, before that most players had GREAT tone... right now almost every player sounds the same, after tuning to C, not even playing power chords but some weird one finger chords, using "V" eq settings, hard compression (even with distortion and humbuckers) and then some more compression when recording through their PODs and "guitar rig" (or amplitube) software... and then more compression again when mixing, and then more when mastering.

Rock n roll is not dead, but it has cancer aids and ebola, thanks to the new breed of producers and players.

#-o 2 thumbs up man! Its irritating for me to see how many players use that "V" eq (highs at 10' date=' mids at 0, lows at 10) and they wonder why they cant get the tone they want or the tone I usually have. When did this happen? I remember in the 80s most players had good tone, before that most players had GREAT tone... right now almost every player sounds the same, after tuning to C, not even playing power chords but some weird one finger chords, using "V" eq settings, hard compression (even with distortion and humbuckers) and then some more compression when recording through their PODs and "guitar rig" (or amplitube) software... and then more compression again when mixing, and then more when mastering.

Rock n roll is not dead, but it has cancer aids and ebola, thanks to the new breed of producers and players.[/quote']

Oh so true thunder, oh so true.

The truth is yes many bands were a product of record labels but there were band's that marched to their own tune and not somebody else's.

They soldiered on and toiled in the underground so they could get that big record deal. And if they didn't' date=' they would not have become big cultural forces. The bands that marched to their own tune never got to exert a cultural influence. Now that record/radio is all dead but for the lawsuits, there's a culture war over how this pop culture will be accessed. Record/radio industry used to be that gatekeeper (which is why your fave bands all wanted that business contract). When it comes to the men that you fanboys cream over -- they all wanted to "make it."

But that's not my point -- the point I'm trying to make is that people are content to listen to music recorded 30+ years ago and then ***** that they don't like the direction they see Rock and Roll headed today. How can you bury your head in the sand and then ***** about the desert? The point is that people need to [u']cultivate live local music[/u], whether it's providing a venue, managing a band, giving a band financial backing, or getting your *** out there to play gigs.

I promise you, there are teenagers who are surprisingly into the saaaaaaame stuff you gripe about not hearing more of ... but they can't find a place to play! and it's because people won't put their money where their mouth is and help out kids who want to play rock and roll. It's because when people go out on the town, live music is often not an option because of lack of a vibrant scene.

I promise you' date=' there are teenagers who are surprisingly into the saaaaaaame stuff you gripe about not hearing more of ... [i']but they can't find a place to play![/i] and it's because people won't put their money where their mouth is and help out kids who want to play rock and roll. It's because when people go out on the town, live music is often not an option because of lack of a vibrant scene.

Agreed, my friends son is big into Zep, Cream, Jimi, and belive it or not he loves B.B. King. I am currentaly teaching him everything i know, but there is one problem he can't find a way to get out there. I have tried contacting minor labels but they don't want anything to do with him. they say and i quote "He is to limited in what he plays." Well of course, the first thing i told this young man is "don't play want other people want you to play, play what you want to play." So now i am trying to get him some gig's so people will see his potential.

Trying to get a record deal, you gotta play the game -- the band's gotta be tailored to suit what that little record label wants to put out... because they probably ARE putting their money where their mouth is and trying to keep their pet genre of music alive and kicking by only signing bands that fit the bill. And they probably aren't making money at it, they just do it because they love their music.

For Rock and Roll to thrive, there has to be people who help to propagate the species by hosting shows (parties at understanding/supportive parents's houses were another prime venue as a young sh!thead) or operating RnR clubs, etc... It takes people willing to carry the torch by putting themselves in a position to keep the music going and expose it to people in a live setting. There were cool parents who would get the permits from City Hall or NOPD or whatever it took so they could close off the streets and put on block parties with a stage/PA and get all kinds of bands to play. School fairs in the neighborhood always had student bands...

It just takes people who are willing to be creative, hustle, and just make this kind of stuff happen, whether it's getting the permits & setting the stage for that block party, grinding down the school to let the kids play, setting up that little record label, opening that coffee house, letting the kids put on little shows at your house, talking the rocker art gallery owner or skate park into doing an all-ages show, getting the kids to play their school dance (those were fun), pulling permits to play in the park, busking downtown...

Archived