Gibson Brands Forums

Melody Market

rafalbar

Hello. I saw this gibson for sale and I would like to know more about it

that was manufactured year? and that such an instrument? the pictures seem to be well maintained without strong shocks ... but the case is not original. What would their current price? Thanks and sorry for my English

Hi there.

I believe that to be a 1961 Melody Maker.

During 1961 they moved from single cut to double cut so this should be reasonably early 1961. By then they had already moved to a smaller pickup which this one has.

The guitar looks original except for the bridge (which looks like a badass or similar) which is not uncommon to allow for intonation accuracy etc. The amount or wear all looks right to me.

The best way to get an idea of price would probably be to have a look on reverb. I'd speculate around $1000 US but they so vary a bit and seem to be going up.

I also own a 1961 Melody Maker but its a double cut - picture below.

They are a lot of fun and extremely light weight as body is thin. If you buy it, keep the tuners or swap for Gotoh versions of the same thing - if you put heavy tuners on the neck will dive - the ones in the photo below came with mine and were too heavy so I swapped to ones like 'yours' and now the balance is awesome.

Good luck!

MM_zpsf64c07f6.jpg

• 3 years later...

vyntqx.jpg

in my opinion and not to be disagreeing wit scales you might have a 59 les paul jr. according to gib website melody makers with double cut away didn't come out until mid 60s

it started out as a les paul jr. and by look-n @ the tuners and over all condition (do not refinish) more value in original.i would say its leaning more to the 59 side

in my opinion and not to be disagreeing wit scales you might have a 59 les paul jr. according to gib website melody makers with double cut away didn't come out until mid 60s

it started out as a les paul jr. and by look-n @ the tuners and over all condition (do not refinish) more value in original.i would say its leaning more to the 59 side

'Scales was absolutely correct. I would recommend that you find better sources of information. [smile]