Gibson Brands Forums

Can I repaint my pickguard?

Jesse_Dylan

Lots of fun stuff on this thread.

The original pickguards were celluloid. They used a graver and actually engraved the design in the celluloid by the process of engraving. This means they scratched a line in the material with a sharp tool. This engraving was relatively deep into the material and can be felt by running your finger over the engraving. Then they painted the pickguard with a lead based paint. They applied the paint rather generously. They didn't paint in the lines but rather over them and then they block sanded the pickguard taking off all of the paint except where it stayed in the deep engraved lines.

I of course want to believe you as the expert. However the few early Birds I've seen live appeared to have the embedded motif.

And yes , that is funny - maybe my eyes didn't go close enough (though I had the different-guard-styles-theme in mind).

I now decide to rest my case till the next oldie is encountered and zoom-examined by at least 3 well-balanced, totally sober people.

Prob is they are extremely rare (not the people) so stand by a few years, , , and I'll report.

Meanwhile it could be fine to hear from others.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The guard on my J200 Jr doesn't feel spongy. It seems to have relatively hard surface and you can feel the relief of the design. Are all the guards flubber now or could some still be the older process.

Here is a photo of the pickguard room from the time I was at the Homecoming. Is that the heat press machine in the back? She's still painting the 'guard no?

IMG_20110617_100243_zpsvkicvpji.jpg

Yes - the standard line for the J200 and Hummingbird have a layer of flubber on top and the artwork printed (non-Vintage, non-"true Vintage", non-VOS). I don't really fault Gibson for the Hummingbird design because they genuinely did not have the casting when they moved shop to Bozeman until 2003ish when they found it back in Kalamazoo. The Hummingbird prior to that for 20 years had a printed design. I do have my complaints about the TV Hummingbird pickguard mainly in that it's not a tortoise design like the original.

The J200 is the one that baffles me. It has always been hand painted but when they started printing them and flubber-sandwiching them when they went to the modern classic design in 2007/2008.

It was a smart move by Gibson as a company but not the best for the consumer... they could now upcharge 1-2K for the same features that came standard on a guitar 10 years ago. [mad]

The guard on my J200 Jr doesn't feel spongy. It seems to have relatively hard surface and you can feel the relief of the design. Are all the guards flubber now or could some still be the older process.

Here is a photo of the pickguard room from the time I was at the Homecoming. Is that the heat press machine in the back? She's still painting the 'guard no?

IMG_20110617_100243_zpsvkicvpji.jpg

Yes that is the heat stamp machine. The brown paper is the paper that transfers the color to the design. She only paints the odd style pickguards like the Firebird that is sitting on the table in the foreground. She will block sand the excess paint off the pickguard and the only paint left will be in the flame design. They haven't painted the Hummingbird and J-200 guards for years.

Not all of the guards are Flubber. Only the Hummingbird and the less expensive J-200 and the Songwriter and maybe a few others as specs change. They started with the Flubber Hummingbird to get away from the pattern wear and they got away with it so now they will try another and so on until they get the cost per instrument they are looking for. There is no consideration for history.

One would think that since they use a less expensive pickguard they would pass the savings on? Ha....

I of course want to believe you as the expert. However the few early Birds I've seen live appeared to have the embedded motif.

And yes , that is funny - maybe my eyes didn't go close enough (though I had the different-guard-styles-theme in mind).

I now decide to rest my case till the next oldie is encountered and zoom-examined by at least 3 well-balanced, totally sober people.

Prob is they are extremely rare (not the people) so stand by a few years, , , and I'll report.

Meanwhile it could be fine to hear from others.

You might take a close look at Modoc 33's Hummingbird in post #35. You can see very clearly the engraved lines in the design. The paint has clearly been worn off but the hand engraved lines are still visible in the guard. They are not imbedded in this particular guitar which you identify as a middle to late 60's guitar. Maybe there is a particular year you are referring to?

You might take a close look at Modoc 33's Hummingbird in post #35. You can see very clearly the engraved lines in the design. The paint has clearly been worn off but the hand engraved lines are still visible in the guard. They are not imbedded in this particular guitar which you identify as a middle to late 60's guitar. Maybe there is a particular year you are referring to?

Already commented in the post #40 dialogue.

:-)

Archived