Gibson Brands Forums

Weight of ES 359

matonanjin

I need to get a lighter guitar do to some spinal surgery and weight restrictions my neurosurgeon has placed on me. (Plus it's a great excuse to look at a new guitar (with my wife [thumbup] )) So I am looking at semi-hollows.

I am looking at an ES 359 but I can not find weight specifications on this guitar anywhere. I looked on the Gibson site, Sweetwater, etc. When I played it at the local guitar I fell in love, both for its tone and play-ability. But it just doesn't feel as light as what I would have expected for a semi.

My googling techniques are not as good as I thought, apparently. Anyone have an idea how I can find its weight, short of taking a scale into the guitar store?

Hi

Iam the happy owner of an ES359 and I have used my scale for you!

The weight is 3.5 french KG = 7.7 pounds, God I have also realized how fat I'm getting ! [blush]

I also suffer from backache from time to time.

It's OK if you play seated, if not and if you like the size and shape of the guitar ( how can we dislike it ?)

you should consider the ES390 the same shape but completly hollow.

best wishes

I know this is a Gibson website, and I DO love (and covet) the ES 359, but if your back is giving you problems, you may want to look into the Parker Fly line of guitars.

Super-lightweight, and extremely well made.

Adrian Belew swears by them, and even Mark Farner (of Grand Funk Railroad fame) switched to one after his back surgery in 1996.

Other notable Parker Fly players include: David Bowie, The Edge, Reeves Gabrels, Synyster Gates, Phil Keaggy, Brian May, Joni Mitchell, Dave Navarro, Lou Reed, Trent Reznor, Paul Simon, Pete Townshend, Joe Walsh, Vernon Reid and David Lynch.

Just a thought.

The Fly Mojo model below is mahogany (instead of the usual composite), and it is one of the heaviest Parker guitars, weighing in at five whole pounds!

[scared]

DV016_Jpg_Large_511059.897_nat_mahogany.jpg

Hi

Iam the happy owner of an ES359 and I have used my scale for you!

The weight is 3.5 french KG = 7.7 pounds, God I have also realized how fat I'm getting ! [blush]

I also suffer from backache from time to time.

It's OK if you play seated, if not and if you like the size and shape of the guitar ( how can we dislike it ?)

you should consider the ES390 the same shape but completly hollow.

best wishes

Bernie, thank you for taking time to do that. Very helpful. I didn't know about the 390. I'll take a look at that.

Do the French have their own KG's. Would it way something different if you weighed it in lets let's say Italy or Switzerland.

FZ Fan, this is my thread and I will remind you I am in charge of sarcasm here. (Although I have to concede that was a great one.)

Do the French have their own KG's. Would it way something different if you weighed it in lets let's say Italy or Switzerland.

Yes if you accurately compare 1KG bread 1KG pasta and 1 KG cheese [tongue] ;

NO for Gibsons guitars (very expensive the KG of wood and wires specially here with the present dollar/euro change)

Archived