Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for small body 12 string guitar

norseman40

I recently traded my Larrivee LV-03-12 for a very nice Larrivee OM-05MT, but now I'm without a 12 stringer. (The LV was too big for my bad shoulder.) If anyone has any advice on a particular make and model of 12 string guitar that I should consider, I'd welcome the input. And if anyone has one they'd like to sell, that would be helpful as well. I can be contacted at laharris@pemtel.net. Thanks. Larry

Hi Welcome to the forum.

Check out the Yamahas - APX and CPX 700-12. Size wise they are fairly small but not top end sound IMHO. Also my Takamine is smaller than a dread and a very comfortable guitar to play. Great sound too.

There is a real paucity of Gibson 12ers at the moment. Some previous threads have observed that there are none on the " improved" Gibson website.

I've found a 12 string keeper for the moment so haven't tried many recently and I'm not that familiar with what's around currently.

"Paucity"?? :-k

We showin' off our education are we?

Oh.. that's right' date=' AJ is a lawyer... right? 'scuse me a "solicitor'. O:) [/quote']

Tommy. I neither have an expensive education nor am I a solicitor (or barrister - we have 2 sorts).

Just a plain old boring Chartered Accountant who'd really like to be a lion tamer.

Tommy. I neither have an expensive education nor am I a solicitor (or barrister - we have 2 sorts).

Just a plain old boring Chartered Accountant who'd really like to be a lion tamer.

Barrister. That's what I'd like to be. I like their book cases with the glass doors that close up.

Over on this side of the pond you'd get arrested for solicitin'. Or a governor.

You guys hear much about the Illinois Governor 'over there'?

Not too much about the Governor but lots about the former Senator! I gather the Governor is mixed up in some corruption scandal.

Politics in the UK is simple. Once you are in power you appoint all your mates into The House of Lords or "the other place" as it is known, so you can block any legislation you don't like.

Several members of The House of Lords are caught up in their own "consultancy" issues at the moment. No country is immune it would seem.

Sorry for the hijack Norseman 40 - I'm a big 12er fan so please let us know what you find.

Norseman....here is one for sale locally....I have no affiliation with the seller.....at least this gives you an idea.....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/1005022460.html

Looks to be a good price. I played a couple of these in Denmark St last year both for about £950 or about $1,350 ish at today's rate.

Not sure about the dimensions on these. From memory I'd put it a shade smaller than a dreadnought, but not much.

Great sound although the 2 I played were not the best players....and not what I wanted which was a gigging 12er...........hence the Tak.

ALbertjohn....your TAK is a great player....

Indeed it is. I had it professionally set up soon after I purchased it and it plays beautifully. I use 10s normally but may try a set of 11s next change to coax out a bit more body in the tone. But I don't really want to start messing around with tuning down a step and all that.

I'm very pleased with it and would certainly recommend anyone to try one of these. It's also a very comfortable and well balanced guitar to play both sitting and standing.

Norseman, if you see one, give it a try.

Archived