Gibson Brands Forums

Stage Fright

dbrian66

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yea man!

I worship at the church of Knob Creak quite a lot.

the 120 proof small batch is divinity in a bottle, if you can shake the cost off.

Yeah. Man. For my 55th, EJRW stracaster safely in room, went to one of Emerils places for a really nice dinner. Had the KC single barrel. Well, ok, I had just received the hottest guitar ever, so I had quite a few, ended up, well... If you could please use your Masshole accent and read the following aloud:

HAMMERED.

Thanks.

rct

I certainly don't recommend alcohol or any other mood altering drugs to alleviate stage fright. I've been in this business a long time, and I've never seen that work out well, and in the long term, often disastrous.

No matter how good you are, there will always be someone better than you and always someone not as good as you, and both may be in the audience. It's life, so don't be concerned about it.

You can play for yourself, you can play for other musicians, and you can play for the public. When you are on stage, you are playing for the public.

Just relax and let the music happen. I know for some that's easier said than done, but the more you do it, the easier it will get.

Insights and incites by Notes

Yeah. Man. For my 55th, EJRW stracaster safely in room, went to one of Emerils places for a really nice dinner. Had the KC single barrel. Well, ok, I had just received the hottest guitar ever, so I had quite a few, ended up, well... If you could please use your Masshole accent and read the following aloud:

HAMMERED.

Thanks.

rct

ah yes, so that would be something like "and then he got wicked Hammm-AAAahd"

you have to leave the "r"s out, as we have no use form them really..

[biggrin]

I have 3/4 of a bot of the regulah stuff, but I/m due for a 120 small batch.

It's wicked pissah....

You can play for yourself, you can play for other musicians, and you can play for the public. When you are on stage, you are playing for the public.

Just relax and let the music happen. I know for some that's easier said than done, but the more you do it, the easier it will get.

Insights and incites by Notes

+++1

I think "playing" is a keyword here. You may have to work on your instrument when practicing, you may work still during rehearsals, but audiences want to hear, see and feel you play.

ah yes, so that would be something like "and then he got wicked Hammm-AAAahd"

you have to leave the "r"s out, as we have no use form them really..

[biggrin]

I have 3/4 of a bot of the regulah stuff, but I/m due for a 120 small batch.

It's wicked pissah....

Mrs reminds me that one of the best loads we ever got on was in yer town, not far from the Parker House hotel, or in that hotel, I'm not sure which, 20 years ago maybe. Dinner at Kasmir on Newberry, Mr. Perry was there, fortunately he didn't embarrass me by asking for an autograph. Back to the hotel or the bar nearby, had an excellent Macanudo, so you could still smoke indoors. The drink of choice was Knob Creek, and lots of it.

Mighta been Dangerous Curves show at your fine art museum.

rct

Love Bourbon. And Scotch and Vodka. I remember when 12 year old Macallen was $30.

I prefer good Champagne, so I don't really drink booze much at all. We have some good stuff in the house if it is ever needed, I don't think I've hit up the Bookers in years. I have some Pri...Priat(?) Tequila they tell me is good but I don't have it much. I have some really good small batch rum so that we can make a Pina Colada in our Trader Sams glasses that we so luckily scored down in Disney World this year.

I don't think I've ever owned a bottlea Scotch.

rct

Mighta been Dangerous Curves show at your fine art museum.

oh yea, went to that. (and I even have the book that was published from it) Quite the show that was. My long-time partner in crime's wife procured four tickets to that, so they invited myself and my wife. On the drive into town, the girls were saying stuff like, "ok we're doing this for you two bozos, you guys know this.. right?" We thought pay back would be epic.

so we go, and we check out the entire exhibit, at the end of it all, I couldn't get my wife out of there. she found it to be totally fascinating.

it was very well done.

Since we're about fiddy mi from downtown b-town, we just drove back out when we were done and had another local place in mind for dinnah..

I play in a church every few weeks. This week, I am playing a song with three solos, sort of a slow burn type of thing, where it starts out simmering and ends up boiling. I love the song; love the way we are performing it; and I have a dread that I am going to screw up one of those three solos because of freezing up, which I frequently will do on songs with great solo opportunities.

What I do, and it often helps with improvised solos, is if I feel myself tensing up, I play a single note that fits and hold and vibrate it while taking a breath and pulling back my thoughts to fixate on the note. Then I go on; I stop trying to overplay and just play enough. When we played the song at rehearsal I felt myself starting to freeze and did my vibrato trick. I never did freeze up and I thought it did go pretty well. At the end of the song one of the singers turned around and said "fantastic electric guitar solos".

Just edited to add that I think this helps because the fixed note vibrato movement requires no real thought once it's begun, so concentration on the limited motion helps to re-synchronize my thoughts with my hand movements before moving to other notes. That's my theory on it anyway.

Now if only I can do it so I can play the solos on Sunday.

I play in a church every few weeks. This week, I am playing a song with three solos, sort of a slow burn type of thing, where it starts out simmering and ends up boiling. I love the song; love the way we are performing it; and I have a dread that I am going to screw up one of those three solos because of freezing up, which I frequently will do on songs with great solo opportunities.

What I do, and it often helps with improvised solos, is if I feel myself tensing up, I play a single note that fits and hold and vibrate it while taking a breath and pulling back my thoughts to fixate on the note. Then I go on; I stop trying to overplay and just play enough. When we played the song at rehearsal I felt myself starting to freeze and did my vibrato trick. I never did freeze up and I thought it did go pretty well. At the end of the song one of the singers turned around and said "fantastic electric guitar solos".

Just edited to add that I think this helps because the fixed note vibrato movement requires no real thought once it's begun, so concentration on the limited motion helps to re-synchronize my thoughts with my hand movements before moving to other notes. That's my theory on it anyway.

Now if only I can do it so I can play the solos on Sunday.

good advice, and good luck on sunday!

I started out as a Roadie, being on, and around stages. So when I did the transition to player, it was a pretty natural feel. For me at least. I didn't get nervous, as much as excited, and looking forward to it.

good advice, and good luck on sunday!

Sunday was interesting. First of all, I was asked to play bells in the second service and playing bells makes me nervous to begin, so I was dreading that. Then all kinds of things just heaped on from there. My digital delay pedal battery died right as we were starting the service and the pedal began squealing (I rarely use any pedals, but we were doing a techno song and it fit), so I had to unplug it and play the song without the pedal; which went okay. Then I wanted to use a capo on another song to play in a key that flows better than the original, but we skipped it in our pre-service run-through so I thought I better just play it in the original key; that went okay. Then the song leader wanted me to use a distortion pedal instead of my usual just overdrive in the song with the three solos and we only played through the first of the solo spots during run-through so I was going to have to wing the distortion pedal with no full band sound check. Surprisingly, no one died and I got through the day with no freeze ups, a few minor clams, but no train wrecks and the distortion solo (the last in the song) actually came out pretty good, I thought.

Then the song leader wanted me to use a distortion pedal instead of my usual just overdrive in the song with the three solos and we only played through the first of the solo spots during run-through so I was going to have to wing the distortion pedal with no full band sound check.

What? A different pedal - with no full band sound check? WTF? You are living on the edge my friend! [scared]

You should really relax and have some fun - it IS supposed to be fun. Just do your thing and people will like it. Generally people these days are genuine-music-starved I find. If you do something real it will move them. Relax and kick some (pew-seated) A$$! [biggrin]

Sunday was interesting. First of all, I was asked to play bells in the second service and playing bells makes me nervous to begin, so I was dreading that. Then all kinds of things just heaped on from there. My digital delay pedal battery died right as we were starting the service and the pedal began squealing (I rarely use any pedals, but we were doing a techno song and it fit), so I had to unplug it and play the song without the pedal; which went okay. Then I wanted to use a capo on another song to play in a key that flows better than the original, but we skipped it in our pre-service run-through so I thought I better just play it in the original key; that went okay. Then the song leader wanted me to use a distortion pedal instead of my usual just overdrive in the song with the three solos and we only played through the first of the solo spots during run-through so I was going to have to wing the distortion pedal with no full band sound check. Surprisingly, no one died and I got through the day with no freeze ups, a few minor clams, but no train wrecks and the distortion solo (the last in the song) actually came out pretty good, I thought.

Glad all went well and nobody died!

All went well for me this sunday as well. Tried to take in all this advice and just enjoy playing. During sound check I found myself thinking that I was way to loud. Started getting nervous but just told myself not to worry. Played the set, messed up a little bit, just kept going and I dont think anybody even noticed. I think all you guys are right. I just need to stop worrying and play.

All went well for me this sunday as well. Tried to take in all this advice and just enjoy playing. During sound check I found myself thinking that I was way to loud. Started getting nervous but just told myself not to worry. Played the set, messed up a little bit, just kept going and I dont think anybody even noticed. I think all you guys are right. I just need to stop worrying and play.

Glad all went well for you too. And yup, just enjoy yourself and play!

What? A different pedal - with no full band sound check? WTF? You are living on the edge my friend! [scared]

You should really relax and have some fun - it IS supposed to be fun. Just do your thing and people will like it. Generally people these days are genuine-music-starved I find. If you do something real it will move them. Relax and kick some (pew-seated) A$$! [biggrin]

I know, it sounds a bit petty, but I really don't usually use any pedals. The leader wanted it nice, loud, and proud, so I was worried I had the level too low. I could have quickly kicked it off and turned on the OD.

I agree with your assessment of people these days. I love to hear live music. I find myself rooting for them to do well. I always try and keep it fun.

Archived