Gibson Brands Forums

Encouraging meeting

Lars68

A while back I found out that my next door neighbor sings and plays piano. She is in her sixties and occationally plays in a duo around town in restaurants and retirement homes etc. I told her that love I guitars and have been trying to write some song recently, but struggle with the singing. She said she would gladly help and would very much like to hear my songs.

So last week I took my favorite guitar, my old J-45, and walked over to her house. We spent the next four hours listening to my recorded songs and playing them together. She worked out keyboard parts and harmonies for my tunes. She said that my performances were a little rough, but that she really liked the songs and wanted me to type up the words for her so she could work on them later. I also helped her hook up Souncloud to a Marshall speaker she had just bought. I had a blast and was so surprised that she genuinly appreciated my songs. There was one moment that especially grabbed me. I have one song about my mother's stay in hospital and eventual passing to cancer. When I played my recording of the song, my neighbor started crying, without knowing the story behind it. It ment a lot to me seeing that something I wrote could ewoke real emotions like that.

We are planning to meet again and record and play some more this coming week. I am incredibly encouraged by all of this and the opportunity to share ideas and music with someone else. She did not appear to care one bit about my somewhat lacking abilities.

Lars

That is so cool.

The last singer I worked with also came out of nowhere. She was a friend of my boss. I had met her but one night at a party we were both at, somebody tossed a guitar in my hands. I put it in Open D to play something somebody had asked for (if I recall it was Big Road Blues). As is my tendency I started playing something simple to make sure I was where I wanted to be with the guitar. I launched into "Amazing Grace" intending to play it for just a few seconds but this lady started to sing along. Holy Crap. She had this real Etta James thing going down. Unfortunately about 1 1/2 years later she moved away but lawdy I did get to enjoy the music while it lasted.

I love this story, Lars. Somewhere along the line I bet you write a song about this. It's a real "slice of life."........And I bet you're glad to finally get an opinion about your singing from someone who knows what they're talking about....lol.....Good for you, buddy.

As someone who enjoys your music, I hope you have a blast and that you both bring out the best in each other. Music has always been the best way to make friends, whether it's talking about or playing it. It bridges cultures and generations. I love this story and I hope it has many exciting new chapters!

Onward!

An encouraging meeting, and an encouraging read. Happy for you that you've found this medium to express and progress your music. Look forward to maybe hear some eventual recordings come from it msp_biggrin.gif

Archived