Gibson Brands Forums

Controversy Over Possession of a Hendrix Guitar

RevDavidLee

I'd want my stolen items back too.

Although the spouse of the owner is the thief, and that's something of a hitch, but I still understand why one would want their stolen items returned.

It seems though, the individual who gave it to the spouse wasn't supposed to have it in the first place.

I don't know. It's a big mess that I wouldn't want to be involved in, or be in a position to judge.

Maybe at one time, some individuals (and I don't know who) involved knew the meaning of "gift", but have long forgotten.

I'd want my stolen items back too.

Although the spouse of the owner is the thief, and that's something of a hitch, but I still understand why one would want their stolen items returned.

I tried google translate to try to understand your signature and it still made no sense - can you indulge me and put whatever that says into English? I'd like to know what you're trying to say :)

Guest Farnsbarns

I tried google translate to try to understand your signature and it still made no sense - can you indulge me and put whatever that says into English? I'd like to know what you're trying to say :)

It's Lorem Ipsum. An ancient body of text whose meaning is not understood entirely. It's used by visual designers who want some dummy text to help workout typography in graphical communications. I think he's poking fun at the people with hugely long signatures.

http://tucson.com/news/jimi-hendrix-s-guitar-at-center-of-tucson-lawsuit/article_1080bc3d-fee7-562d-b6e6-1bd02bc5bb06.html

This kind of thing makes me sick. How much more money can we squeeze out of this man's legacy? [thumbdn]

There is no controversy, the guitar was stolen and now the thief sold it and someone else is trying to sell stolen property. It should be returned to its rightful owner, sounds to me like a disgruntled ex tried to get in a last jab at his ex wife so he stole her brothers guitar. Why is he not being arrested for theft?

Guest Farnsbarns

Which by the way when looking at it on a mobile takes up the WHOLE screen :unsure:

You could sue for the strain and time taken to scroll. Or use the mobile template of the site. :D

My signature is composed of text called "filler text" or "dummy text" and it's commonly used by print designers to fill space. They use filler text instead of actual text because with actual text, clients often become preoccupied with proofreading instead of evaluating the design. It doesn't mean anything, it isn't Latin though it looks like it.

As Farnsbarns points out, it could be interpreted to make a statement about enormous signatures that serve no other purpose but to take up vast amount of space. There's that guy with the big photo of him playing guitar in a driveway, there's that other guy who is using his signature to record the makes and models of dozens of guitars — perhaps to lure a waiting burglar, who can say? And there's that guy who lists each string individually so that the keenly observant might discover that his D string is 1/100" thicker than a normal set. Are these tidbits important? I suppose they must be.

I wonder how many megabytes are consumed each day by the sending of that same slab of text over and over again. Or how much closer is Rabs to carpal tunnel syndrome by flicking past lines of text that he has no interest in reading. Or how much enriched the lives of others are by seeing all that stuff repeated with each new post.

Me? I suppose I'm using it because I'd rather that my readers spend their time reviewing the content of my posts and not get bogged down by the signature.

It seems though, the individual who gave it to the spouse wasn't supposed to have it in the first place.

I don't know. It's a big mess that I wouldn't want to be involved in, or be in a position to judge.

Maybe at one time, some individuals (and I don't know who) involved knew the meaning of "gift", but have long forgotten.

The way it works is that a stolen item is still stolen no matter how many times it has been sold since the theft. So if you buy a $5k Les Paul from a buddy who originally got it at Guitar Center who originally bought it from some guy who stole it from its rightful owner and the owners identifies the guitar, you have to give it up for free. You are out $5k.

The original owner doesn't get screwed out of their goods just because the thief sold the merchandise.

My signature is composed of text called "filler text" or "dummy text" and it's commonly used by print designers to fill space. They use filler text instead of actual text because with actual text, clients often become preoccupied with proofreading instead of evaluating the design. It doesn't mean anything, it isn't Latin though it looks like it.

Okay then. Well just remember I cared enough to ask. :rolleyes:

My signature is composed of text called "filler text" or "dummy text" and it's commonly used by print designers to fill space. They use filler text instead of actual text because with actual text, clients often become preoccupied with proofreading instead of evaluating the design.

Me? I suppose I'm using it because I'd rather that my readers spend their time reviewing the content of my posts and not get bogged down by the signature.

So if you have had a chance to evaluate the design, and got feedback, have you come to a conclusion?

See, now I think we want to know what THAT is.

The way it works is that a stolen item is still stolen no matter how many times it has been sold since the theft. So if you buy a $5k Les Paul from a buddy who originally got it at Guitar Center who originally bought it from some guy who stole it from its rightful owner and the owners identifies the guitar, you have to give it up for free. You are out $5k.

The original owner doesn't get screwed out of their goods just because the thief sold the merchandise.

Oh, I agree with you.

I just don't think we are in any position to judge if it was stolen, or who stole from who.

I sure as heck know I am not in a position to tell you the rightful owner of ANY of the Hendrix estate is. But there has been enough controversy and fighting that when someone involved in the estate says "this is mine" or "this is belongs to the estate", I am not going to take that at face value.

Everything you wanted to know about Lorem Ipsum http://www.lipsum.com/

The Hendrix guitar thing sux. I'll never understand how people three times removed from somebody else has the balls to collect value from something they weren't involved in.

THIS!! ^^^

Mom and I were in a car accident when I was twelve and she was killed. That in itself was devastating, but as bad to me was seeing a whole room full of people, rifling through her stuff, at the wake at our home after the funeral. All these folks that were Mom's friends, digging around unfettered, looking for...what? I swear that hurt stayed with me almost as long as her death itself.

People an be exceedingly greedy, selfish and inconsiderate. (Nice way of saying A$$HOLES).

And to me, it's one thing if people are scrambling for a token to remember a loved one by; quite another to capitalize on it monetarily.

As Paul Harvey used to say- stay tuned for the REST of the story...

Brian

PS- Mom had a very expensive and rare ring, a tri-color Alexandrite. Seems like that's what folks were looking for. When I turned 18 my Mom's best friend contacted me to give me something she knew Mom wanted me to have. She knew just where it was, scarfed it up and held it for me until I graduated. There is justice sometimes. Perhaps for Jimi too...

Wow. Hope everything gets resolved. Sad. At first I was thinking it may have been his Stratocaster that appeared on Pawn Stars last year when I seen the stolen guitar was worth was worth $750,000 - $1,000,000 because it was appraised at that but then I looked back and seen it said his Black Widow guitar.

Easily solved.

Just chop the guitar up into small pieces and give one bit to each relative - that way they will each have a nice little reminder of their lost loved one.

Of course it will have no monetary value any more, but since none of these people actually played the music on it in the first place that shouldn't matter, should it?

I don't care about Hendrix, his guitars, or his family. I truly wish everyone would stop milking that dry corpse and maybe, finally, move on. He wasn't all that good, just recorded first doing something that was going to get done by somebody else if not him.

rct

Mom and I were in a car accident when I was twelve and she was killed. That in itself was devastating, but as bad to me was seeing a whole room full of people, rifling through her stuff, at the wake at our home after the funeral. All these folks that were Mom's friends, digging around unfettered, looking for...what? I swear that hurt stayed with me almost as long as her death itself.

People an be exceedingly greedy, selfish and inconsiderate. (Nice way of saying A$$HOLES).

And to me, it's one thing if people are scrambling for a token to remember a loved one by; quite another to capitalize on it monetarily.

As Paul Harvey used to say- stay tuned for the REST of the story...

Brian

PS- Mom had a very expensive and rare ring, a tri-color Alexandrite. Seems like that's what folks were looking for. When I turned 18 my Mom's best friend contacted me to give me something she knew Mom wanted me to have. She knew just where it was, scarfed it up and held it for me until I graduated. There is justice sometimes. Perhaps for Jimi too...

Wow man unbelievable Brian. Wow is all I can say besides being just speechless. And I mean that in the most respectful way that I can muster.

I don't care about Hendrix, his guitars, or his family. I truly wish everyone would stop milking that dry corpse and maybe, finally, move on. He wasn't all that good, just recorded first doing something that was going to get done by somebody else if not him.

rct

Ill take any riff of hendrix over page the thief of music and his horribly overrated puff daddy band.

Archived