Gibson Brands Forums

So you can actually be issued a new CoA

GibsonKramer

Don't know if because its a Custom? I was under the impression, they could register your guitar with Gibson, so if someone was investigating, they could at least go that route.

However, I called them today and was informed they will issue me a new one. With a catch of course.

Package the guitar, write in big bold letters, on outside of box, "NEEDS NEW COA." Then inside the case, in the pocket, perhaps the strings... "NEEDS NEW COA." Send it to Nashville, pay for return shipping and they'll issue a new one and send it back.

Debating (the value of doing it, not whether I'm going to do it)... that's a lot of shipping and time without my guitar, for a piece of paper. I have the GC receipt, of a GC exclusive guitar, with the serial number on the receipt. All other case candy included.

Opinions?

(EDIT: Again, I'm not going to do this. Only circumstances would be a sale, which probably isn't going to happen)

I think it's odd Gibson doesn't want to see the receipt as I would think they would only do this for the original owner.

As far as guitar shipping goes, there has to proof you've got the guitar and not just an receipt.

If you really want the CoA, you're going to have to deal with Gibson's requirements.

I agree with Steve, kind of risky shipping the guitar for a CoA.

Not sure what I'd do but a few things come to mind as already mentioned. Shipping back and forth can (and may) result in some damage, not to mention the cost to you. If you have a receipt, Serial Number, et al., unless you plan to try to sell in the future,why bother? Just MHO of course.

What does the CoA do for you? Make the guitar authentic? No. Make it more valuable? No.

It's nice to have, but really doesn't serve a purpose, except to possible HELP to show it isn't stolen.

Gibson, naturally, wants to be able to authenticate it before they would issue you the paper. Of corse they would. But by no means does a paper MAKE the guitar authentic.

Pretty much my thoughts on it.

The rep I talked to, wasn't pushing for it. He just said it was an option, he also said it made a difference that it was a 2006, versus anything after 2008??? He didn't explain what/why, just made that distinction.

I purchased at a GC and it's a GC exclusive model, with the serial number on the receipt.

I guess I should have been more clear. I can't really see a reason to do it either, unless I were to sell it. Would the CoA be worth the hassle? Or can I already provide ample proof, with the receipt, origin and Gibson's records. He did ask me details about the guitar, verifying parts/setup.

Probably all moot. I don't think I'll ever part with this one. What does the CoA do for me? Nothing. Just a piece of paper, imo.

Did you mean you lost the CoA, or that you purchased a new guitar at GC and the CoA was missing?

Purchasing a new guitar that supposed to have a CoA and doesn't would be frustrating. That happened to me one time. GC gave me a case that had a tag on it with a serial that didn't match my guitar and no CoA inside. The GC excuse was typical - they separated the guitar from the case and had lost track of the whereabouts of the original case with the CoA in it. I had them track it down. It took them a couple days - they located it and mailed it to me.

Did you mean you lost the CoA, or that you purchased a new guitar at GC and the CoA was missing?

Purchasing a new guitar that supposed to have a CoA and doesn't would be frustrating. That happened to me one time. GC gave me a case that had a tag on it with a serial that didn't match my guitar and no CoA inside. The GC excuse was typical - they separated the guitar from the case and had lost track of the whereabouts of the original case with the CoA in it. I had them track it down. It took them a couple days - they located it and mailed it to me.

I really wish I hadn't brought the topic up.

It is a used LPC from Guitar Center. It has original case, all case candy, with the exception of the CoA.

I don't really care. The guitar was a GC exclusive, I purchased it from GC and the receipt, has the serial number.

The reason I posted, is I had read before (on this forum), if you didn't get a CoA when you purchased a used guitar, you couldn't get one. Some noted however, by notifying Gibson you could verify info and they would also supposedly register it in your name (I guess for warranty?)

Speaking to Gibson, I found out my info was wrong. They will issue a CoA, but for some reason, it matters that it's pre-2008. Thought someone might shed some light in that...

I'm not endorsing anyone do this. I'm not going to do this. First reason, I don't want to be without the guitar that long. Second reason... I don't want to ship my guitar across the country. If I lived in Tennessee, I'd just drive over there. No biggie.

I tried to clear that up. People still think I "need my CoA."

Archived