Gibson Brands Forums

worn cherry 2008 les paul

tibs

hi all i just got this guitar for my son new from a music shop it was made in 2008 it is the worn cherry finish was wanting to know how to clean this guitar some of the colour comes of on a cloth also worried about this bein genuine so putting on some pics

thanking you mike

post-74447-037560500 1444824362_thumb.jpg

post-74447-055197700 1444824535_thumb.jpg

post-74447-075254900 1444824550_thumb.jpg

post-74447-036577400 1444824673_thumb.jpg

post-74447-039783400 1444824686_thumb.jpg

post-74447-059530700 1444824695_thumb.jpg

post-74447-016428200 1444824705_thumb.jpg

Hello and welcome to the Forums!

The guitar is genuine and beautiful! [thumbup]

Is it the mahogany top version? (If so, I am very envy ;)).

As for cleaning, I would use an un-dyed, pure cotton rag, very lightly dampened with deionized water. Nothing else. Polishes will make the guitar semi-glossy, and it's not reversible. You might not like those permanent results. Also, avoid furniture cleaners, as they are likely to contain silicone - something to be avoided on nitro-cellulose finished instruments.

Clean the fretboard the same way. (I use soapy water on fretboard for cleaning, but not everyone agrees on that). After cleaning it, oil it as it seems to be dry. There are plenty of fretboard conditioners available at shops. The most popular are the "lemon oil" products (I use pure, unbleached, cold-pressed linseed oil).

Good luck... Bence

As for cleaning, I would use an un-dyed, pure cotton rag, very lightly dampened with deionized water. Nothing else. Polishes will make the guitar semi-glossy, and it's not reversible. You might not like those permanent results. Also, avoid furniture cleaners, as they are likely to contain silicone - something to be avoided on nitro-cellulose finished instruments.

Clean the fretboard the same way. (I use soapy water on fretboard for cleaning, but not everyone agrees on that). After cleaning it, oil it as it seems to be dry. There are plenty of fretboard conditioners available at shops. The most popular are the "lemon oil" products (I use pure, unbleached, cold-pressed linseed oil).

Good luck... Bence

thanking you very much for your reply i dont know much about guitars xmas present for my son it was in the shop for a long time by the looks of things when i seen the year on the back i could not see that on many others so was just wondering

thanking you again mike

Good luck... Bence

hi again bence what is so good about the mahogany top version i dont know enything about these got this for son who is learning guitar must be mad as hes only started just on grade 2 i never could play so im pushing him

mike

hi again bence what is so good about the mahogany top version i dont know enything about these got this for son who is learning guitar must be mad as hes only started just on grade 2 i never could play so im pushing him

mike

Hello Mike!

It is rare to start with. Also, it gives the instrument a darker tone.

The first two Les Paul variants (Regular "Goldtop", and the Custom) came out in the 50s. The "Goldtop" was made with a mahogany body and maple top - the since usual configuration used on these instruments. But, the Custom was all-mahogany until it was phased-out in 1960. When the Custom returned in 1968 it was made with maple top too.

If You want an all-mahogany Les Paul, Your only chance is to buy an expensive Historic Reissue of a 50s Les Paul Custom. That is why mahogany-top Les Pauls are always very exciting. Gibson rarely makes regular-run Les Pauls with that feature these days. One of them was the Studio faded, but still not all of them was make like that.

Unfortunately, I can't tell which version You have. The pictures are rather small.

Best wishes... Bence

Hello Mike!

It is rare to start with. Also, it gives the instrument a darker tone.

The first two Les Paul variants (Regular "Goldtop", and the Custom) came out in the 50s. The "Goldtop" was made with a mahogany body and maple top - the since usual configuration used on these instruments. But, the Custom was all-mahogany until it was phased-out in 1960. When the Custom returned in 1968 it was made with maple top too.

If You want an all-mahogany Les Paul, Your only chance is to buy an expensive Historic Reissue of a 50s Les Paul Custom. That is why mahogany-top Les Pauls are always very exciting. Gibson rarely makes regular-run Les Pauls with that feature these days. One of them was the Studio faded, but still not all of them was make like that.

Unfortunately, I can't tell which version You have. The pictures are rather small.

Best wishes... Bence

thanks again bench i had to downsize the pics in order to upload them

mike

Hello Tibs, she's a beautiful guitar, clearly genuine, and all original from what I see. [love][thumbup]

I recommend cautiously removing the sticker from the peghead rear. It would leave a bad mark there with time. The traces of the pre-owner's stickers that were on the top of my 1978 S-G from 1979 to 1982 are still visible. [unsure]

When about pictures, uploading to a photo provider and linking here would be best. Everyone here does it - no wonder with just 500 kB memory space per account.

I hope your son will enjoy her! [biggrin]

Hello!

As, my friend Capmaster said, it is better to upload pictures to a cloud service, like Photobucket, and link them into Your posts.

After uploading a picture to Photobucket, copy it's IMG-code, and paste it into Your post.

If You could post to high resolution picture of the face of the guitar (where the pickups are), we will be able to tell what wood was used for the top.

Good luck... Bence

Hello!

As, my friend Capmaster said, it is better to upload pictures to a cloud service, like Photobucket, and link them into Your posts.

After uploading a picture to Photobucket, copy it's IMG-code, and paste it into Your post.

If You could post to high resolution picture of the face of the guitar (where the pickups are), we will be able to tell what wood was used for the top.

Good luck... Bence

will have a go at that thanking you all again mike

... Is it the mahogany top version? (If so, I am very envy ;)).

Becoming envious over mahogany tops is understood considering it has been the choice for the early Customs and their reissues. [biggrin]

Anyway, I found out that also the necessarily flat-sawn quilted maple tops contribute a mahogany-like timbre to the tone. At least mine does, but possibly her coração de negro fretboard has a significant impact on tone, too (Gibson TP-6 tailpiece and Speed Knobs retrofitted):

QK_Top_03_zps9fc6016a.jpg

Getting envious over mahogany tops is understood considering it has been the choice for the early Customs and their reissues. [biggrin]

Anyway, I found out that also the necessarily flat-sawn quilted maple tops contribute a mahogany-like timbre to the tone. At least mine does, but possibly her coração de negro fretboard has a significant impact on tone, too.

IMG_8795_zpsnzgnqi36.jpg

Very nice, Capmaster! Elegant one! [thumbup]

Thank you very much, Bence!

... if I can't find a BBR7 for dirt cheap. [rolleyes]

Not very likely, also considering they feature ebony fretboards. Perhaps you go for an Epiphone - who cares for the name on the headstock? [scared] Sadly this is not funny - it seems to be the world of people wittingly buying fakes. <_<

Anyway, a mahogany top along with a rosewood fretboard could offer a new and interesting tonal quality, too.

As this one too. I could settle with one of these, if I can't find a BBR7 for dirt cheap. [rolleyes]

LPTDM15ANNH1-Hero.jpg

Saw it on a second glance... this is a guitar with all of the 2015 appointments. I think I could not settle with that. :(

I'd prefer Tibs' 2008 Worn Cherry Studio! [thumbup]

Saw it on a second glance... this is a guitar with all of the 2015 appointments. I think I could not settle with that. :(

...[thumbup]

They started it in 2014. There should be some correctly appointed versions on the second-hand market. [rolleyes]

Cheers... Bence

Archived