Gibson Brands Forums

NGD Belated New Hummingbird Day

Scootch

Well, I got a 2015 Modern Classic Hummingbird last week. Great price, used. This has been a dream guitar of mine since I was a kid. I have actually had dreams that I was playing one.

Sounds great, it came with restrung with Elixirs, not my favorite string, as they sound a bit sterile to me. So, I put on some John Pearse Phosphor Bronze and it sound very pretty, and chimey but not quite what I want, yet.

OTOH, I've a J-45 that has DR Rare's loaded and it growls and howls. So I might try a set of those or DR Sunbeams on the bird.

I like a strong bass and a fairly rapid decay, which is what DR Rares specialize in.

What are you running on your Hummingbird and why?

Congrats on your guitar! I use DR sunbeams on mine and love the warmth those strings have. I recently tried some Martin 80/20 strings on a whim and actually liked those as well, so I purchased some Gibson Masterbuilt strings that I'll try in the future as well. However, I'll probably stick with the DR Sunbeams as my base string as they're still my favorite I've tried.

Congrats again and yes, post a photo or ten :)

Congratulations!

DR Sunbeams because of a great, rich, growly sound but with a fraction of the tension of other strings. I can play 13s of these without a problem. I can't do that with other strings.

If you want a shorter decay you might try Pyramid Western Folk. I'm checking them out on my 'Bird currently because of EA's glowing recommendations. I can see why he likes them. However, the 12s are pretty stiff and they're hard to find and twice the price of the Sunbeams.

FMA

Congrats! A real beauty - obvious from the picture why it is called a Classic. There is nothing quite like an H'Bird. They're more comfortable to play, unique mellow sound, described by experts as the best looking acoustic ever, and a perfect companion to the human voice. A guitar for all seasons - a companion for life ! It will make you a better guitarist to boot! G'Luck !!

Beautiful Bird - now we'll see if you decide to follow EA's tulip suggestion.

Not a bad idea, if you ask me.

Look forward to hear what strings you end up with. Guess you'll experiment over a few possibilities first.

I have Martin Flexcore and Masterbuilt 80/20 on mine. Both 12's.

Enjoy the 2 G's - and tell us about the differences if you like.

Btw I really support Bozeman changing to black interior cases. Much better than blue, , , especially for the Birds.

If I absolutely had to choose one guitar, it wouldn't be a decision I'd want make. I really dig all of my guitars, especially the Gibsons. BUT, if I could only have one of them and it was my choice which one it would be, I would have to pick "the bird." I'd miss all the others, but the choice would be relatively easy for me. For all the attributes and virtues of my other guitars (Gibbys in particular), nothing really equals a Hummingbird. Beyond all the tone and playability, there is simply something about this instrument that sets it apart from all of its rivals. And there is no doubt that its real rivals are superb guitars built by very reputable builders. No doubt at all.....Yet, there is that "something" about "the bird" that tells you that you have something very special in your hands. In addition to just playing it at home and with friends, I can't think of any guitar I'd rather be sitting behind when I'm doing a gig. If you own a Gibson Hummingbird, you know what I'm talking about. If you don't own one, I hope that one day you do. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Congrats! How come when I was looking, all the modern classics and standards were orange, and you were able to find such a nice cherry sunburst one??

I've actually got DR Rares on mine right now. Sounds great, but, as you said, still not quite what I'm looking for. I think I might actually try some EJ16s. Apparently that's what my J-15 had on when I got it, and they were great.

I also have John Pearse Phosphor and Silk on my J-15 right now, which sound great too. Will also try those on The Bird. The Bird is one of those that sounds great with any string, but until you find the string that is "just right"... (which may in fact be the 80/20s it came with).

I had a Standard H-Bird for a short period in January 13. It sounded very smooth, , , , was yellow ! , , , , and dotless ! !

2 Q's for Jesse : What are you looking/listening for in your Bird - and how are those JP phosphor & silk ??

I had a Standard H-Bird for a short period in January 13. It sounded very smooth, , , , was yellow ! , , , , and dotless ! !

2 Q's for Jesse : What are you looking/listening for in your Bird - and how are those JP phosphor & silk ??

I also forgot to answer about my wallpaper, and I can't even remember which thread that was. This was my grandparents' house from 1991 until their passing in 2009 and 2010, and before it was theirs in 1991, it belong to an elderly couple who had raised kids here, I suppose in the... 60s? 70s? later? earlier? Anyway, they must have had quite a few kids, because each bedroom has a "feature wall". This one (my "office" I guess) is the Old West wallpaper, which I really like! (Fiancee does not like it). In the current bedroom, it's knock-off Raggedy Ann and Andy wallpaper on one wall. :) Don't care for that, but I'm a lot like my grandparents were and just never bother to change things much ha. In my workout room, it's sort of a jungle wallpaper on one wall, which is pretty cool.

There were two bedrooms downstairs as well (can't imagine sleeping down there); no wallpaper down there, but there is a knock-off Star Wars lightswitch cover.

In the basement at my mom's house, there is knock-off Star Wars wallpaper in one room.

It's funny what a history houses can accumulate, and I don't think these houses are even particularly old.

Woops, sorry for my digression. I'll answer the other questions now.

The JP Phosphor and Silk (I think that's what they're called) sound really warm. They sound to me like regular JP strings that have been broken in. They have quite a bit of power and oomph yet have a bit of softness to them. They're lower-tension, but not like silk and steel. Their "medium" gauge is actually light gauge, and they don't come any higher than that. Kind of strange. I still find the DR Rares and JP Bronze and Silk need to break in a little.

I wish I'd been more scientific too about strings, but it's an overwhelming process!

On the bird, I don't want to lose the mellowness, but I am looking for something with a little more bite. Maybe I'll experiment with pins again, but I figured I'd better settle on a string first. It may well be that I should have put the DR Rares on the J-15 and the JPs on the Bird instead of vice versa!

I do keep thinking back to the EJ16s that were on the J-15, or maybe they were 80/20. Oh man. It never ends. I had a strum with the J-15 and JP Phosphor Bronze and Silk just now, and it wasn't quite as bassy or oomphy as I thought. Maybe this weekend while I have time, I will swap the strings... or be wasteful and put new on both guitars...

I also forgot to answer about my wallpaper, and I can't even remember which thread that was.

The JP Phosphor and Silk (I think that's what they're called) sound really warm.

Thanx for the insight. Since it's still Sunday, it should be justifiable to spend a few lines on finding out whether we saw genuine 60's paper or contemporary pastiche.

Bet the jungle-theme has a strong influence on the room too. May you and your girlfriend find the fine balance between cult and kitsch there.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

That said, I'm quite sure you'll know when the strings'n'sound hit the bell. You seem to have a clear sense of what you're after and might be on the right track already.

Besides any road leads to Rome with that '16 Bird.

I'll give the Phosphor & Silk a go at some point. After a week Silk & Steel gets too mellow for my 12-fret and those Mart. Retro/nickel/monels - no matter how open minded I try - just don't capture what I consider the real acoustic timbre.

P.S. - Evaporated approx. 6 layers of papers from these walls 20 years ago. A journey back through the last 100 years it was.

Suddenly a series China-motifs on a golden background appeared - very exotic and instantly the favourite.

Nowadays it's all stone.

Thanx for the insight. Since it's still Sunday, it should be justifiable to spend a few lines on finding out whether we saw genuine 60's paper or contemporary pastiche.

Bet the jungle-theme has a strong influence on the room too. May you and your girlfriend find the fine balance between cult and kitsch there.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

That said, I'm quite sure you'll know when the strings'n'sound hit the bell. You seem to have a clear sense of what you're after and might be on the right track already.

Besides any road leads to Rome with that '16 Bird.

I'll give the Phosphor & Silk a go at some point. After a week Silk & Steel gets too mellow for my 12-fret and those Mart. Retro/nickel/monels - no matter how open minded I try - just don't capture what I consider the real acoustic timbre.

P.S. - Evaporated approx. 6 layers of papers from these walls 20 years ago. A journey back through the last 100 years it was.

Suddenly a series China-motifs on a golden background appeared - very exotic and instantly the favourite.

Nowadays it's all stone.

WOW. Sounds like you live someplace kind of neat! It is off-topic for the board, I suppose, but I hope you'll share pics someday. The wallpaper journey sounds fun, except for the work involved! The lady lives in England and does not want to live here, and if she did change her mind and want to come here, I think we'd probably not live here. Sad, but that's life! At least I can enjoy the wallpaper a few more years...

I really liked those JP Pure Nickels for a while, but they just don't do it for me anymore now. Now I wonder what I saw in them. I guess I liked that they sounded mellow right away.

The JP Phosphor and Silk are a real different animal from the Silk and Steel. So far, no sign of them pooping out. I think I've had them on a couple weeks now. I'm excited to try them on the Bird. I might end up going back to EJ16s or Gibson 80/20 on the J-15, though (or maybe Gibson PB?). Uncoated strings: die too fast; coated strings: break in way too slow. What's a guy to do? Get speedy at changing them, maybe...

Archived