Gibson Brands Forums

A Great Artist, A Great Guitar and a Great Song

zombywoof

Don Henley must die

Don't let him get back together with Glenn Frey

Heard and seen it ages ago on I think MTV.

Elvis Is Everywhere is hysterical too, and Debbie Gibson Is Pregnant With My 2 Headed Love Child.

One of Mojos more recent ventures was teaming with Jello Biafra for an updated version of Phil Och's "Love Me, I'm a Liberal." It is well worth a listen.

He is a little like SCOTS, but like Zappa I don't hear it. The only thing in common is the comedy aspect. Zappa makes him look like an amateur.

Mojo is really just a rocker (and a darn good one) with the ability to write songs with a razor's edge to them. His former partner Skid Roper is also great. Zappa was in a class all to himself. I recall when the first Mothers LP came out many of us did not really know what to make of it. It was not till I saw the Mothers live though that I realized just how good he was.

In the mid-80s Mojo Nixon and Skid Roper were HUGE college radio faves. What young college DJ could resist a tune like "Stuffin' Martha's Muffin" (about MTV VJ Martha Quinn) or "I'm Living With a Three-Foot Antichrist" or "I Hate Banks" or "I'm Gonna Put My Face on the Nuclear Bomb."

At the time, he just seemed like a novelty act, lots of fun but not really musical. But dammit if he didn't keep getting better.

Same for the Flaming Lips, who were considered so weird and druggy that they would surely never catch on. I relate the two because they both had their records come out on Enigma Records or its subsidiaries like Restless, Pink Dust, etc.

The Flaming Lips do love their LSD.

I was living in Norman, OK in the early 1980s when the Flaming Lips were just starting out so got to see them quite a bit. My favorite thing of theirs though remains their re-telling of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon." Never really cared for Floyd but I loved the Flaming Lips take on the LP.

First time I saw Zappa and the Mothers was at the Wolman Skating Rink in Central Park, NYC in 1969.

Archived