Gibson Brands Forums

GAK "ex demo" amp - The plot thickens

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest Farnsbarns

I had an email from GAK this morning stating again that Fender replaced this reverb tank. They seem almost annoyed that I have openly and frankly said I don't believe them. I haven't offered this opinion as a fact, either here or in my emails to them but they seem to have taken it to heart. I still don't believe them and after the debacle with my R6, and now this, I have decided I definitely don't want to do business with them anymore. 2 different things, one was incompetence, this, I think, is dishonesty.

I have told them I will keep the amp and that it was only the RCA lead.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds exactly like the sort of thing I went through myself with various retailers (last century - I finally learned my lesson).

Always leaves a bad memory.

However these days you can write about it on forums/fora and that's different; now the buyer has a very public comeback of sorts and the retailers don't like it.

I have told them I will keep the amp and that it was only the RCA lead.

And at least you are handy enough to solve the problem. Retailers, and the salespeople they hire, are seemingly more inept every year. I feel particularly bad for the players who are not handy enough to do/fix things themselves.

Guest Farnsbarns

I'll tell you something else. This is for those who might think about buying "ex demo" from GAK. I have it in writing that to them "ex demo" includes returned items. This was contained in an email as an aside and not specified as relevant to this purchase. The amp I purchased may not fall into that category but I find it alarming to say the least.

Ex demo listings reflect returned or display items which are in a good condition and covered by a limited warranty

Anyway, I know I won't be using GAK again myself, I'm keeping this amp because I want to, despite my misgivings, and not because I'm satisfied with their response.

Guest Farnsbarns

I am a little confused about this. Fender doesn't really exist there. Or rather, no factories. But surely there are representatives and service centers.

So unless the amp was sent back to Arizona (USA) or Mexico, it could not have been replaced by Fender, and they just wouldn't do that. So surely, "replaced by Fender" would have to mean "Fender authorized".

Are you sure this wasn't the case?

Fender musical instruments UK Ltd happen to be about 4 miles from my house, over in East Grinstead. I'm guessing that's just admin staff and acounts and the like but they're here.

I agree that any repairer is likely to be a third party in some capacity. I do not believe for a second that a Fender authorised repairer is fitting non original parts, especially not with fender's blessing.

It's possible that's what happened I guess and GAK offered me a refund so if it was what happened they'd be innocent. I just don't think it's likely and I don't believe it.

Hell, that limited edition model may have come stock with that tank but if it did Fender are giving me duff info. Again, that would make GAK innocent. Again, I think it's very unlikely.

Fender musical instruments UK Ltd happen to be about 4 miles from my house, over in East Grinstead. I'm guessing that's just admin staff and acounts and the like but they're here.

I agree that any repairer is likely to be a third party in some capacity. I do not believe for a second that a Fender authorised repairer is fitting non original parts, especially not with fender's blessing.

It's possible that's what happened I guess and GAK offered me a refund so if it was what happened they'd be innocent. I just don't think it's likely and I don't believe it.

Hell, that limited edition model may have come stock with that tank but if it did Fender are giving me duff info. Again, that would make GAK innocent. Again, I think it's very unlikely.

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm from East Grinstead and I use Bulldog music,in Ship Street for all guitar related work. Pop in to see them if you need advice on anything. It's a father and son who run it and they are really helpful. Great little shop run by good people.

I'm aware of them. Not much choice and very little apart from the beginners stuff. That's gonna be their market in EG so I'm not knocking that. Very nice guys. They had a 78 standard in there I rather liked but it was a bit over priced. It was on consignment so I think the owner wanted too much.

Dude, I live 4 miles from you. I make that beer-o-clock, don't you?!?!

I'm aware of them. Not much choice and very little apart from the beginners stuff. That's gonna be their market in EG so I'm not knocking that. Very nice guys. They had a 78 standard in there I rather liked but it was a bit over priced. It was on consignment so I think the owner wanted too much.

Dude, I live 4 miles from you. I make that beer-o-clock, don't you?!?!

You guys have miles?

rct

I've had a similar problem with something I ordered from 'Dolls'R'us'. I ordered this appliance that was stated as 'display/demonstration'.

Well. I blew it up and I thought 'Ooh, self lubing'. ...........I'm not happy!!!!!

Guest Farnsbarns

Us guys invented miles and have merely loaned them to youse guys on a temporary basis...

Pip.

Yes. And by the way... # <--that's a hash and... £ <-- that's a pound.

Hi Farnsbarns,

Sorry to here of the trouble you've experienced with the amp.

I only read your post Friday. I'm glad I did too, for the past several weeks I've been on the hunt for a acoustic amp. Friday was payday and almost pulled the trigger.

Anyway to cut a long story short (I do like to waffle on) You saved me a lot of money and I bought a brand new amp, different make and purchased from different company. But it does what I need and want = having fun and making noise :lol:

I'm not all that savvy with amp innards/electronics.

Hope everything has worked out for you.

Kind regards, Emma :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Farnsbarns

Just thought I'd follow up and say the new cable did indeed fix it. I think it reduced the hiss as well but it's marginal. The hiss is certainly within reason though.

I bought 2 of the cables so I'm ready for any future failure. A fiver each so nothing special in audiophile terms but decent, thick, well shielded cable. I also noticed how very microphone the cable it had was.

Guest Farnsbarns

FIVER = $3768.72 US AMERICAN GREENBACKS

It won't be long the way your economy is going! :P . Do you guys not say fiver and tenner to describe the smaller notes? For a country that insists on shortening everything, including mirror to mir-r, I'm surprised.

The Aussies love a shortening. I'm not sure if an Aussie has ever used a whole word. Where's that Digger when you need him? It's no fun bashing Aussies when they aren't about.

It won't be long the way your economy is going! :P . Do you guys not say fiver and tenner to describe the smaller notes? For a country that insists on shortening everything, including mirror to mir-r, I'm surprised.

Five is sometimes a "fin" to those of a certain age.

The Aussies love a shortening. I'm not sure if an Aussie has ever used a whole word. Where's that Digger when you need him? It's no fun bashing Aussies when they aren't about.

roight. He's out by tha bahbi, havin a go at a googlay wooggallahee that he caught up by Doolzagna. Hopefully he won't get stung.

rct

... Do you guys not say fiver and tenner to describe the smaller notes? ...

They are called Fünfer and Zehner here, too. [biggrin]

Five is sometimes a "fin" to those of a certain age.

rct

Once there have been fins like these:

tail-fin-21280681.jpg

PA-717780.jpg

Guest Farnsbarns

Playing away happily and it happened again! [cursing] . It stopped when I jiggled the cable again so today I pulled the chassis, checked the voltages across the caps was safe and had a good look at the rca sockets. A funny little plastic moulding with both the rca sockets moulded in and long protruding steel connections fom one, over the other to the small piece of circuit board attached which had a row of spade connectors for the wiring. I reckon the loose connection can only be here somewhere since moving the cable temporarily fixes the problem and nothing else is going to move. All the soldering on the board looked reasonable and the spade connectors were so solid i couldn't easilly get them off so I didn't. I just unscrewed the moulding from the chassis and turned it so the board faced me. I got a magnifying glass and spotted the typical circular crack around one solder joint, the one with the longest piece of steel so that was no surprise. I resoldered every joint on that board to cover all bases and put it back together. So far so good. Not calling it fixed yet but I'll be really stumped if that hasn't fixed it. It has to be a loose connection there somewhere and I'm certain the connetions in the sockets are good. Sometimes with cheap sockets the center pin contact is poor but these are clearly making a good solid contact long before the outer ring makes contact and nothing else could possibly move with the cable.

Hoping I can just enjoy this amp now.

... I got a magnifying glass and spotted the typical circular crack around one solder joint, the one with the longest piece of steel so that was no surprise. I resoldered every joint on that board to cover all bases and put it back together. ...

Hoping I can just enjoy this amp now.

I hope with you that the resoldering finally did the trick. [-o<

Archived