Gibson Brands Forums

Mini Fuzz

surfpup

So I'm looking for a great mini sized fuzz pedal for the pedal board I use to gig with my trio. I have a few nice sounding fuzz pedals... a Big Muff clone I made, a 4 knob silicon Fuzz Face clone I made, a Hot Chilicon (Tonebender MkIII clone) that I made, and a Coloursound Tonebender clone that Big Knob Pedals made. But since space is at a premium, I really want a mini sized fuzz that sounds great (if that's possible). Hoping you guys might have some suggestions. Here's what I have tried so far...

First I tried the mini Fuzz Face (red - germanium)

MiniFF.jpg

I really like the way it cleaned up with the guitar's volume. Exactly as it should. But it had no roar when I cranked it up and was kinda thin. Didn't really work in the band well at all.

Next I tried the JHS Mini Foot Fuzz.

JHS%20MFF.jpg

It does the low battery spluttery thing really well - but that's all it does. Even at high volumes it spluttered. At least in my rig. Didn't really do it for me, so it's headed for eBay .

Yesterday this ZVEX Fuzzolo showed up...

Fuzzolo.jpg

It's the best one so far, by far. It has no fuzz level control - just a volume and a control for the "pulse width". At one extreme it creates the freak-out-the-squares "velcro" fuzz tones that so many ZVEX users love. But with the "pulse width" at a minimum it is a singing 60's fuzz monster with an a$$ load of low end. It cleans up a bit too with the volume knob of the guitar - though not as much as a good Fuzz Face does. So far me likee this one quite a bit.

What I'd really love to know is what else I should try? Any mini fuzzes I'm missing? I know there is a Lovepedal "Tonebender" clone called the Bonetender, and it's on my list to buy and try already. Maybe one of you guys has it already and can chime in? Or can offer other suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I recommend the work of my good friend and coworker, Patrick Gentile.

Patrick is a custom pedal builder, craftsman, carpenter, and all around wonderful mad scientist.

He will build and ship you the germanium-equipped 'Guvment Fuzz' or '3906 Fuzz' for much less than the cost of those other pedals, and his work is superb.

I play his pedals live, and they are the best I have heard.

https://www.facebook.com/patrick.gentile.56

I recommend the work of my good friend and coworker, Patrick Gentile.

Patrick is a custom pedal builder, craftsman, carpenter, and all around wonderful mad scientist.

He will build and ship you the germanium-equipped 'Guvment Fuzz' or '3906 Fuzz' for much less than the cost of those other pedals, and his work is superb.

I play his pedals live, and they are the best I have heard.

https://www.facebook...rick.gentile.56

I myself have never been a big fan of most fuzz pedals. If I did one, I would do one of the Zvex ones or something like your buddy builds.

I found the Fuzzface to have one good tone. Move the tone knob a bit off the sweet spot and imo it doesn't sound very good at all. As deal with the Big Muff.

(EDIT) Oops - but not mini - please ignore post...

Yeah, two key words here, mini and fuzz. I have decent sounding stuff in 125B and 1590BB enclosures. Just looking for something cool in a tiny footprint. The FoxRox stuff I've heard is amazing though!

I bought the run of the mill Boss DS 1 distortion pedal for $60 at Guitar Center and then sent it to Peptone Electronics and for $60 I got this back from them and love it.

Yeah, the DS1 can indeed be had cheaply modded to sound great (as can the SD1), but it's neither mini sized, nor a fuzz, so not what I'm looking for.

Looking at Prymaxe Vintage I see:

XVIVE Fuzz V4

Modtone mini Fuzzer

Hotone Skyline Fury Fuzz

Cool, I will take a look. I found this little gem listed on eBay. Says it's a hybrid Germanium/Silicon so one of each transistor I guess.

s-l1600.jpg

Archived