Gibson Brands Forums

Just got my 2014 Melody Maker....

norcalpiper

Normally I post in the SG side, as that's what I normally play. About a month ago I was picking up my SG from my Luthier and saw a Gibson box in the corner. I asked what it was, and was told someone had dropped it off for possible consignment. I opened the box and it was a mint (I don't think it had been played) charcoal 2014 MM. It was so compact and different than my SG's, that I put dibs on it on the spot as sorta an impulse.

The owner agreed to sell at a good price and we finally wound up the deal. During the wait, I became very nervous I had made a bad deal. Many reviews were not great....some were. Mostly dealt with the lightening bar and intonation of which I have to have perfect. I didn't like the tuners either. I bought a pair of vintage glow green klaus ones tulips and went right to work changing them out when I finally brought it home . Easy enough. I then slung on my set of slinky and over tuned and let sit for 2 hours. I then got the strobe and tuned her up.......It was dead on perfect. I still can not believe it. Just dead on. I have never really played a p90 pup guitar, and oh what I have been missing. This guitar has such character and growl, it's just not funny. Needless to say it was a good 400$ spent.

The one con with this guitar is the satin finish. It really is a cheap job, but oh well.....it is a student model. Other than that, it's totally a mean machine that will perform with me without issue. If any of you have been on the fence, go for it..

They ARE "Fun" guitars, and sound Great! Congratulations! A fine little "Work Horse," indeed! [thumbup]

I was very tempted, to get one, myself. BUT...another (electric) guitar, I don't need. Got the double

P-90 thing covered with my 2005 Les Paul Double Cut (Faded) Special.

You're going to love those P-90's, I'm sure! [biggrin]

CB

Gigged it today and it just rocked the venue. This is a rocker for sure. It does lack the subtle clean tones of a humbucker, but we werent having any of that today, so it wasnt an issue! I'm a,wsys thrilled with my guitar purchases ( except the epiphone ultra 3..that was horrid), but this has been extra fun since I was sure this wou,dnt be that great.

Gigged it today and it just rocked the venue. This is a rocker for sure. It does lack the subtle clean tones of a humbucker, but we werent having any of that today, so it wasnt an issue! I'm a,wsys thrilled with my guitar purchases ( except the epiphone ultra 3..that was horrid), but this has been extra fun since I was sure this wou,dnt be that great.

Hmmmm...well, maybe a "different" clean, than a Humbucker...but they should do "clean" really well...in some cases

more "round, and articulate" cleans, than Humbuckers. To me, it's just a matter of setting the amp, for the

P-90's strengths, as you might do, for other different pickups...Humbuckers, Fender single coils, etc.

Play around with them, you'll find their "Clean" (and subtle) sweet spot, no doubt!

Cheers,

CB

Congrats, Norcalpiper, nice catch! [thumbup]

Hmmmm...well, maybe a "different" clean, than a Humbucker...but they should do "clean" really well...in some cases

more "round, and articulate" cleans, than Humbuckers. To me, it's just a matter of setting the amp, for the

P-90's strengths, as you might do, for other different pickups...Humbuckers, Fender single coils, etc.

Play around with them, you'll find their "Clean" (and subtle) sweet spot, no doubt!

Cheers,

CB

I second that completely. [thumbup]

Normally I post in the SG side, as that's what I normally play. About a month ago I was picking up my SG from my Luthier and saw a Gibson box in the corner. I asked what it was, and was told someone had dropped it off for possible consignment. I opened the box and it was a mint (I don't think it had been played) charcoal 2014 MM. It was so compact and different than my SG's, that I put dibs on it on the spot as sorta an impulse.

The owner agreed to sell at a good price and we finally wound up the deal. During the wait, I became very nervous I had made a bad deal. Many reviews were not great....some were. Mostly dealt with the lightening bar and intonation of which I have to have perfect. I didn't like the tuners either. I bought a pair of vintage glow green klaus ones tulips and went right to work changing them out when I finally brought it home . Easy enough. I then slung on my set of slinky and over tuned and let sit for 2 hours. I then got the strobe and tuned her up.......It was dead on perfect. I still can not believe it. Just dead on. I have never really played a p90 pup guitar, and oh what I have been missing. This guitar has such character and growl, it's just not funny. Needless to say it was a good 400$ spent.

The one con with this guitar is the satin finish. It really is a cheap job, but oh well.....it is a student model. Other than that, it's totally a mean machine that will perform with me without issue. If any of you have been on the fence, go for it..

you are so lucky to have it :P

Archived