Gibson Brands Forums

Top respray for new Melody Maker...

norcalpiper

I just purchased a gem of a guitar. It's a 2014 Melody Maker that has turned out to play and (I can't believe this) intonate perfectly. The only complaint I have is the dull charcoal satin finish an the top. The back, and the neck I'm ok with, but the front....I don't know, it just irks me. I was wondering how much it might cost to have it gold topped. Does anyone here offer such a service? Help appreciated.

Can you post a picture of the guitar.

I had a shop for about 11 years where I did refinishing

I don't do it much now, but I still do maybe 1 or 2 a month

I would like to see the condition of the color coat

BRC

I agree, looks good in the photo - bit like a stripped down version of those 50's tribute LP Studios they put out a few years ago. I like it - Nice guitar for not a lot of money!

not sure why its called a Melody Maker though - maybe its a slim depth body? - seems more like some class of Studio.

If the factory finish is in good condition, no scratches, nicks or damage you can spray a clear top coat on top of the finish.

It would take to much room here to explain the correct way to complete this process.

Are you going to attempt this your self or have it done by some one else?

If you want to attempt the clear top coat contact me through my p.m. and I will give you the list of items you will need .

Although it is not a difficult job, to get a professional looking result, there are steps to follow otherwise you will wind up with a mess that could cost you more than the guitar is worth to have it corrected and sprayed correctly.

Archived