Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Studio-"Crackling"

nickgibian

I have a Les Paul Studio-barely bought it a month ago from guitar center's online shop. One problem-every time I rub the curved section near the pickup switch, a crackling sound like static electricty comes through. I tried rubbing a cloth with lemon oil on the affected area, but it didn't do anyhing.

Anyone else get this problem? Any ideas for fixes? I emailed Gibson, but I'm hoping for a speedier response this way.

When my Lester was new I got alot of static electricity from the neck. It went away over time.

I have a 90-day complete warranty (I think haha) so is there a way to tell if its just a new-guitar type thing?

It also might be that there is just a lot of static electricity goin on in winter...and the humbuckers pick that sorta thing up...even though they were designed to eliminate interference :-s

My Studio started making a similar sound about a year ago. It was like a creaking noise when I would change positions. Not p/u position, but the way I was holding the guitar. Then it seemed to stop. Well it just started again yesterday. It's very minor but can be annoying. I have no idea what causes it. Maybe it is something to do with static.

• 2 months later...

Im in the same boat. I live in Austin TX. Ive had the guitar for 8 years and just last week this started happening. I took it into Sam Ash to get it repaired (under warranty) and the guy said he fixed one wire that looked like it might not be grounded properly and that if it was still making the noise then it was just static electricity.

So Im taking it to a mom and pop store in the city. The guy on the phone said I must be smoking something. lol. But he said he would take a look at it and even pop the back cover off real quick in front of me.

Ill take it in tomorrow and let everyone know if I find anything out. Thanks!

I read in another forum that it might be caused by static building up in the toggle switch cavity. Some have suggested replacing the plastic cover on the back with aluminum. Since I work in a machine shop, I just might make one for myself some time, but I haven't noticed the problem in a while so it's no rush to me.

Another thing that I read is that this is more common in winter months.

I have a 90-day complete warranty (I think haha) so is there a way to tell if its just a new-guitar type thing?

Gibson's have a warranty of at least a yr!

Give Gibson a bell... Thery are very helpful!

Flight959

try some copper shielding foil or paint around the cavity. It should do the trick.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics' date='_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding/Conductive_Copper_Tape.html

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Shielding/Conductive_Shielding_Paint.html

[/quote']

+1 - solved a serious crackling problem on my Telecaster that way. Here's a site showing you how to solder the shielding to really zap the noise.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/tele.php

OK...so I finally got rid of it! Heres the story...

Took it to Sam Ash because it has a lifetime warranty there. They said everything seemed fine and that it must be static. Gave it back to me and still had the issue.

So I took it to a local mom and pop shop. As the guy was looking at it he noticed that the bridge/strings were not grounded. It looked like they were grounded but the solder had come loose. If Sam Ash had actually tested it instead of just looking they would have caught this. Re-soldering this corrected the static behind the volume pots.

But it still had some static behind the toggle switch. Not sure why since everything was now grounded. So the guy took some shielding and placed it on the back of the plastic cover. He also grounded that shielding to a ground on the switch since it wasnt painted with a conductive shielding paint. That took the static out of the toggle switch cover.

Now shes working like a champ!

I have a Les Paul Studio-barely bought it a month ago from guitar center's online shop. One problem-every time I rub the curved section near the pickup switch' date=' a crackling sound like static electricty comes through. I tried rubbing a cloth with lemon oil on the affected area, but it didn't do anyhing.

Anyone else get this problem? Any ideas for fixes? I emailed Gibson, but I'm hoping for a speedier response this way.[/quote']

It will go away in time.

Or you can use a ground strap to rid of static.=D>

Archived