Gibson Brands Forums

New member looking for answers

Pink_Floyd

Hi All,

I am new to the forums and have a question. I am sure it will have been asked before but I have searched and not found anything to help. So, could someone explain what the differences are between the ranges of Les Paul guitars? For instance the 2008 standard and the standard with a 50's neck? The prices vary quite a bit here in the UK and it is not entirely clear to me what the extra dollars go on.

Also, are Les Paul studios really that bad?

Any information would be great

They used to make a standard with a 50s and 60s neck. The new standard only comes with the asymetrical neck. Both are chambered--meaning they hollowed out some of the insides to reduce the weight. The new standards have a PC board instead of hard-wired. A lot of people dislike the chambered LPs because they don't sound the same as the true-solid bodies or the swiss-cheese weight relieved bodies (another way to reduce the weight is to drill holes in the body). I have a chambered LP and like it--though you should try it before making your purchase. The other option is the Traditional--which has the swiss cheese body and I believe comes with the 50s neck. It is considered closer to the old-school LPs.

Both the Standard and Traditional are great guitars...it is just a matter of taste when it comes to the tone of the two.

Never played a Studio so I can't comment.

The studio is the least expensive way to get into a les paul with a carved maple top. The studio is a real, honest to goodness Les Paul. They are great guitars. They lack body and neck binding and except for the faded studio maple, they only come with painted tops and backs. I repeat, they are great guitars. If you are looking for a Les Paul jusy to play , you can't do much better.

People that say otherwise are dumber than a sack of wet hammers...My .02

Oh I wasn't trying to be a azz (although I have been told I have that ability)' date=' the Studio was originally designed for exactly what is its namesake; The Studio. No fancy binding, just a robust guitar that does something very well; it plays and sounds just like Les Paul intended. I could have gotten a more expensive LP but I wanted this one for the reasons already mentioned.

I love mine, good luck on your search[/quote']

No man, its cool. It can be damn annoying though when people who know very little about something (like me O:) ) turn up and start to make accusations about something you love and know is ace. I guess some people love to state 'facts' on forums without knowing squat!

My 85 LP studio is a 1st generation/MK I.

These were already available since at least the late 70's and had plastic bindings. The only difference was that there were dot inlays on the fingerboard, the one thing that made it an attractive alternative to the other LP's available;Standard/Deluxe/Custom.

The same scheme would later be repeated in other models.

One of you guys will probably know when they decided to remove the bindings and change the inlays.

That's why my LP gets attention, most people have never seen one of the original ones.

Tonewise, the day I chose it, the only other guitar that sounded good was a black LP custom.

The LP Studio is the only expensive guitar I have ever bought, and I bought it because it was the best sounding guitar in a store chock-full of Super-Strats, each with an extensive set of bells and whistles, but no tone.

Sooner or later you realize that they are all chunks of wood, some that sound better than others, and if you're lucky, you might find a gem within a dozen.

Well I am new here but let me throw in my 2 cents why I prefer the LP Studio! One it is still a USA Made Guitar that does not have the binding that the standard has.. I remember back 99 or 2000 that the LP studio has changed their design where they were no longer being made with the maple top but thankfully it was just the VM model that was full Mahogany compared to the painted that had the maple top. I have played a Standard, Studio, Epiphone Standard, Epiphone Custom and even the Epiphone LP special 2 or something like that and I still preferred the Studio.. Not saying anything bad about the Standard or even the Gibson Custom models *gorgeous guitars* and if I ever have the unlimited resources to spend on a guitar, then I will get one but for now I love my studio! The other reason why I prefer no binding is when you need to get the Neck re-fretted which a guitar repair technician said that needs to be done to repair the binding did not sit well with me! But I agree the Studio is not to be classified as a low end guitar *that is what Squier, Epiphone and even BC Rich and other guitars that are under $ 300 new*... Trust me if you get a LP Studio, you will love it! I am seriously having to say that once you play a Gibson you might not want to play anything else *so true, I do not even want to play my strat since I picked up my Les Paul*!

Cheers,

Charlie

Archived