Gibson Brands Forums

Now for something completely different!

NHTom

While looking for another strat.......and not ready to pull the trigger yet on a LP Pelham Blue Studio in case they release any specials or juniors, I came across this.............

2008PRSMira_zpsf6fbsrcd.jpg

101_1070_zpsikzbklps.jpg

101_1069_zpskgcxnpys.jpg

Never owned a PRS....kinda like this one as it is "simpler" than some of the fancy models. 2008 PRS Mira I like it so far. We'll see if I become a fan.

NHTom

I played a PRS maybe 4 or 5 years ago in a CG it was 4k and it was a dream. If I had the cash and could have afforded it would have come home with me.

Exactly why I have never played one - or at least a really nice one. I still have lust for the David Grissom gold one. If I played it I would cave. I know this.

DG.jpg

I have a PRS CU 22

At the time I looked at the McCarty's and the CU 22's and a few other things.

Kinda feels like a Gibby LP or SG, nails some nice humbucker tones, and some tele-ish tones.

I left the 5 position knob in it, not because I like it, but it gives you the most tone option. I can't never remember where I have the 5 position switch parked, for the life of me.

Plugged in to the right Mesa and you get the Santana thing, if you want it.

This one spoke to me.

McCarty sunburst. 10 topper, bird inlays, whammy bar, the whole 9 yards.

Personally for the money, gimme a good ol' SG standard with classic 57's, but you could probably buy 2 SG for what this one cost.

DCP_1126_zpsrpaijtyk.jpg

Thanks everyone.

I got some time with it today.

Here's my take.......

1-Quality

Feels very well made. Very "solid" feeling. Fit and finish is top notch.

2-Playability

Plays great. Neck is interesting. I'll have to check the specs, but it feels small at the nut end....not sure if it's a narrower width or not, but feels it. Not at all a bad feeling , but noticeable at first. Neck is comfortable, good action and height. Comfortable to play. The wrap tail bridge is very comfortable under hand. Knobs are in a good spot. The blade switch could be in a better spot...have to reach past the volume knob to get to it.

The tuners are great. Have the screw string locks and are firm and rugged.

3-Tones

Quite a variety of tones in this guitar. The pickups sound good. Nice string definition. Good classic humbucker tone. Not super hot/modern. With the coil tap activated it gives a great almost tele style tone. I've heard in some reviews this guitar called thin, but I wouldn't say that. It is NOT a modern metal machine, etc, but very solid in several areas.

When I play with other people or in a band setting I tend to stick to rhythm and this would be a great grab and go to cover a wide variety of styles and sounds in one guitar.

I'd love to compare two side by side with one stock and one with some hotter pickups. I have a feeling it would become a real screamer.

4-other points of interest.

Very impressed with how solid this guitar feels. Even while swapping to strap locks, noticed the original strap buttons are great and even the mounting screws are a mile long. The knobs, switches, and tuners have a very "positive" feel.

The case is solid as a rock. One of the tightest fitting cases I've ever had. The guitar does NOT move in the case at all.

Balance is very nice. Feels like a heavy guitar without the actual weight.

All in all a great guitar at the price I paid. I have to be honest that I don't think I'd have ever paid the 2k list for it when new, but for 899 I'm happy. I'd like to try a higher end PRS to see if there is that much difference in tone and playability to be worth the extra.

NHTom

Congrats, Tom, this Mira must be a rather tempting one to lure you away from a Strat or a Pelham Blue LP Studio. [biggrin]

Well...........is an "in addition to", definitely not "instead of".

I'm just after another American Special Strat....maple neck, 3 single coils, surf green......my dealer currently does not have one. And since the Pelham blue Studios just came out, I figure I've got a little while to grab one (or the inverness green)and I'm kind of waiting to see if they release any jr's or specials this year.

NHTom

PS: wow, just read what I typed and I have GOT to seek help. They are really starting to stack up around here..........lol

PS: wow, just read what I typed and I have GOT to seek help. They are really starting to stack up around here..........lol

As long as the fun starts after having one pulled out of the stack, it is OK I think. :)

Good to hear you are fine with her. When about the blade switch position, it is at least out of the way of your picking hand while playing.

Yes, it is not in the way, just if you needed to do a quick/mid-song switch change (Which I don't do often), it would be awkward to get at.

The knobs are actually in a great spot, just feels like they kind of hid the switch below the volume knob.

NHTom

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not trendy. I've had the same hair style since 1972. I play a Telecaster. I wear Wrangler jeans. I am ignorant of what's hip or not.

Back in 1990 I thought Paul Reed Smith was going to take over the world. I saw his guitars everywhere. That Grissom guy backed up Joe Ely on Austin City Limits and I think he had THREE of them in rotation for the hour long show. I went into a snooty music store and they didn't even want to admit they had Gibsons on the wall, but a PRS, now THAT'S a $2500 guitar! (That was 1990 remember, and a new ES-175 with gold hardware retailed for $1399).

So what happened?

My only experience with a PRS was when they first came out with a bolt on neck design a friend bought a used one and brought it to me for some fret leveling.

I personally thought the original ones were beautiful but never played one.

In 1990 I thought all the other companies would have to shut down, given what people were saying about PRS.

Yes, I can remember going into a shop and they had one jammed into the glass case under the cash register.........lol.

They are nice. I grabbed this one cause it was different and I liked how it played. I don't know that I'd ever pay the money for one of the really fancy ones, but this one is a lot of fun.

NHTom

Archived