Gibson Brands Forums

'61 Gibby 12

Buc McMaster

Jake has a really nice looking B45-12 from 1961 on consignment. Slope shouldered 12 string with a nice old cherry sunburst and all original.........quite nice. Have no idea what these things might be worth so interested parties are left to do their own homework and check their own wallets. The link is to his blog writeup.......if you're looking to inquire check the "Store Inventory" tab up top.

1961 Gibson B45-12

[cool]

Nice guitar! From my perspective, these early J-body slope 12's are more desirable than the later square dread models, if they are still in one piece. This one looks in pretty good shape, but you'd really need to examine it. I note a lot of stress crazing on the neck heel, possibly from string tension. That 2" nut width is going to be a handful, although it is practical. The only guitar I have with a nut that wide is a classical.

I have mixed feelings about a trap-tail acoustic 12. (I already have a trap-tail electric 12 that I'm selling.) It seems like it would be structurally sounder, but it also doesn't have as much direct top coupling as a pin bridge set-up. The ebony saddle will probably give a warmer tone, whether you want it or not.

In that Rooftop Singers live recording, the sound of the same guitar isn't very impressive, but that could be the recording.

Neil Harpe has had a couple of those round shoulder B-45-12s up for grabs over the past few years. He apparently is a big fan of them. In late 1962 or early 1963 Gibson started bringing out the square shoulder version. As j45nick said the key to what made these early guitars sound so good was also their Achilles Heel - the light top bracing. In late 1964 Gibson really beefed up the bracing. Great for longevity but the guitars never sounded as good as the early ones. As to the bridge, there were a bunch of variations and it is tough to keep up with what configuration was used on what year guitar.

Granted the video instruments don't sound too impressive, but Jake's sound clip does sound very good to these old ears.

You're right. Jakes's clip sounds good. I had missed his, and only seen the Rooftop Singers video, which is pretty mediocre.

Archived