Gibson Brands Forums

I picked up an ' 03 LP and now I am a bit confused....

miasan11

Can anyone enlighten me as to why it has a 490 series in the neck and a bb in the bridge. I thought in 2003 it had bb's all around? I think I may have read somewhere that Gibson was using up some of the 490 series pups from the late 90's custom through 2002? I might just be making stuff up though. Anyway, the serial # dates her to july 2003. Other than the confusing pickup, the rest feels like a proper standard. I am just really curious as to why the 490. I have not been able to find any info, short of contacting Gibson. Either way, I am not too concerned as I picked her up for only 1300$

-C

The "R" and "T" suffix humbuckers have a bottom plate with two rows of six holes each. One row is "R" spaced, and the pole screws of the "R" pickups will protrude here. The other row is "T" spaced and used for "T" spaced pole screws.

All the classic PAF replicas come "R" spaced and have a bottom plate with only one row of six holes. This applies to all the pickups without a suffix except for the Dirty Fingers with two "T" spaced rows of holes for its twelve pole screws.

Between the middles of both the outer pole screws you will measure 50mm on "R" and classic pickups. "T" pickups (and Dirty Fingers, too) will read 52mm.

In case you want to take a look at the underside of the pickups, here is what you may find for reference.

That's how a 490R's bottom view looks, in this case a four-conductor model:

1600-IM90RNH_detail3.jpg

This is a four-conductor wired 498T seen from below:

1600-IM98TNH_detail3.jpg

And this is like any braided-wired BurstBucker or '57 looks like, except for the model sticker saying (BurstBucker) Rhythm Pro here:

1600-IQC59ACH_detail2.jpg

I hope you will be fine with the results of your research.

Thanks for the info and at least confirming the information i found! I thought that it may have been replaced at some point also. I wish I would have taken pictures when I had the PUPs out. The bridge has the PAF sticker and is labeled AV#2, so a bb#2. But the neck doesn't have a label at all and has the "Gibson USA" embossed back, in the correct orientations with the "T". So it looks to be a 490T or 498T. It was just kind of confusing because the wear and age of the pups (covers, backs, wire braid) seemed really consistent and the solder joints looked consistent and factory. A change to a 490T in the neck is a rather uncommon from a BB#1 or?? I guess it is players preference.

I really just wanted to make sure it is truly a standard and maybe not a special model for Guitar Center or something

Thanks

-C

... A change to a 490T in the neck is a rather uncommon from a BB#1 or?? I guess it is players preference.

I really just wanted to make sure it is truly a standard and maybe not a special model for Guitar Center or something

Thanks

-C

A "T" spaced pickup in the neck position is uncommon indeed. I don't think this PU came stock.

Thanks for the info and at least confirming the information i found! I thought that it may have been replaced at some point also. I wish I would have taken pictures when I had the PUPs out. The bridge has the PAF sticker and is labeled AV#2, so a bb#2. But the neck doesn't have a label at all and has the "Gibson USA" embossed back, in the correct orientations with the "T". So it looks to be a 490T or 498T. It was just kind of confusing because the wear and age of the pups (covers, backs, wire braid) seemed really consistent and the solder joints looked consistent and factory. A change to a 490T in the neck is a rather uncommon from a BB#1 or?? I guess it is players preference.

Thanks

-C

The 490R also has a "T" stamped on the baseplate. You can see it on the pic capmaster posted under the sticker(it is mostly covered in solder). It doesn't have any reference to the pickup being for the neck or bridge. Email us at service@gibson.com with pictures of the guitar and serial number and we'll be happy to check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya, I've never seen that. My old standard had the bb1&2 pro and I thought the neck pickup was mehh. I changed em both, but I have 490s in my SG and love them! Alnico 2. I think they sound good, leave it and enjoy👏. I find the magic on the 490 neck is rolling it off a bit on my SG. I get that Derek trucks tone. Don't know how they are in a les paul but give it a try.

Cheers

Archived