Gibson Brands Forums

Scam From Craigslist

dacookster

Finally, after like everyone and their dog has found an incredible Craigslist deal, it was time for me and my dog to get one. 2005 Les Paul Custom, and I've never seen this color before.

kobapaul.jpg

$950 plus gas. 9 hour drive. Oh and the cost of the $63 ticket for not carrying valid registration, but he could have given me a speeding ticket, so I guess I'm okay with the upcharge.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, thanks guys. She's a pretty good girl, but every pix I take with her and a guitar she always has a stupid face. She hates my guitars. Will sometimes lay on the couch with me if I'm running scales, but when I crank on some distortion I think the harmonics hurt her ears, even at low volumes.

As far as playability......well, it kinda sucked. I don't think it had ever been set up from day one. Everything was buzzing like crazy, and the strings were really old. I dropped it off at my tech's place on Saturday, so I hope by tomorrow or wednesday it will be back. Itchy fingers.....in all my years of playing, I've never had a Les Paul.

I researched, talked with people, and used the general gut instinct of checking if something just doesn't look right, then it's probably not right. everything looked okay, my friend who's a big Les Paul guy saw some pix, said it seems legit, and my guitar tech says it looks legit too.

Will get more pix soon when I get it back. Of course, I'm worried it's a fake, but I really don't think it is. I'll get the pix and get the expert opinion from this forum, which I would greatly appreciate.

Hey brother, I don't want to stir up any worries, but that truss rod cover doesn't look right...

See this link http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Truss-Rod-Cover-with-Screws---Les-Paul-Custom-360915-i1129840.gc

All of my truss rod covers look like the one in the link. Plus, shouldn't a custom have an ebony fretboard? As I said, you got a smokin deal, the cheapest I've ever seen a used custom go for was $1200. Your tech should be able to make sure it's real. A look at the wiring, pots, and wood cavity's should help too. I hope that I'm just being paranoid for you. Good Luck.

Hey brother' date=' I don't want to stir up any worries, but that truss rod cover doesn't look right...

See this link http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Truss-Rod-Cover-with-Screws---Les-Paul-Custom-360915-i1129840.gc

All of my truss rod covers look like the one in the link. Plus, shouldn't a custom have an ebony fretboard? As I said, you got a smokin deal, the cheapest I've ever seen a used custom go for was $1200. Your tech should be able to make sure it's real. A look at the wiring, pots, and wood cavity's should help too. I hope that I'm just being paranoid for you. Good Luck.[/quote']

Man........ebony fretboard..........sh*t.........that one never crossed my mind.............

The serial and 'made in usa' stamp on headstock looks the same at my longhorn, and I know that's legit. Never thought about ebony fretboard, damn. Thought the 1st fret block inlay was the 'tell' of a custom. The odd thing is I've never seen one in this color scheme. If I call Gibson with serial number they'd be able to tell me exact, right? It's from '05.

There will be some folks that will see this when they log in tomorrow, that have customs and expert knowledge, they should be able to shed some light on the subject for you. If it's not a real one, can you get your money back? Your dogs might be able to help, if needed. Again, I'm sorry if I stirred up any unneeded paranoia.

Your rim story...now that's ironic. When I bought my car, I was told it 'needed alignment' and then it turned out that one of the rims were bent. They were 20", I can't remember the brand but they were expensive. Sometimes I think I'm too trusting.

Yeah, I have his contact into, phone number, don't know where he lives, but I do know where he works. Checked him out on the court system, he's got a little of a lead foot, couple bills he blew off and they took him to court over.

I looked at that damn headstock under bright light, and compared it to the Longhorn, and it all looked legit. And the 'made in usa' stamp looked similar. My tech isn't a huge Gibson guy, he's the authorized Fender guy for a 150 mile radius, but....well, damn.....im not not not not not going to stress over this.

Well, 24/7 really means 24/7. Just got off the phone with Jon Sutherland, and he informed me that the serial number did not show up on their system at all. Sent him the pix I have, and he informed me that he thought it was a fake.

I'm rather upset. To say the least.........I haven't been able to sleep all night, stressing about this. Damn.........I had no clue about the ebony fretboard.

This pretty much totally sucks.

Sorry dude, 100% fake. No question about it.

Not your fault, but once you start learning about these things you start picking up visual clues.

Look at the location of the truss rod covers and the size of the Custom Shop logo.

I would contact the seller and tell him it's a confirmed fake and that you want your money back. Otherwise, you're giving his personal info to Gibson and that they may prosecute him. Since he's in the US, they may go after him.

As for that guitar's origins, my guess is it's a Chinese counterfeit and not an Epi converted to look like a Gibson.

dacookster, and all unfamiliar people who are reading this, the next time you go out to look at a used guitar get a few pictures of it first, post them here and ask if it's legit.

Silverburst007.jpg

LesPaul002.jpg

$950 plus gas.

Next time, this should be your first clue. Everybody knows that Gibsons are expensive nowadays. The days of scoring a great deal such as this are long gone.

Man, I am so angry, I couldn't sleep. I've talked with the cops there, and he has to contact the county attorney. They're going to be on my side. If I had only known about the ebony fretboard, damnit......

I can't think of anything else to write, except thanks to the folks in here.

Will keep all posted.

Thats a real shame you seem like a good guy. I look on CL all the time and I think in this ecomony someone

really maybe desperate for money, but usally the guys that buy real nice equipment would rather keep them

then give them away. Hey look at it this way you learned a valuable lesson and you could have paid ALOT

more.

Yea the Split Diamond was a dead givaway, way to small

Archived