Gibson Brands Forums

Step forwards, or backwards?

Lars68

Lars, I think your singing has grown leaps and bounds better. Vocals and guitar sound sound very good

That is good to hear. Like I said above, I don't trust my ears just yet.

I have I long way to go to get to your level. Your singing is truly an inspiration and a target for me.

Lars

Lars, I'm no expert on judging singing, but I just want to say that I really enjoyed it. You've written and arranged a really nice folk song. Sad, wistful with a very pleasant, soft melody. You could even say that the song has a nice hook (when you sing the phrase "way up on the hill" several times) it's a part of the song that sticks in my head and that I remember.

Your voices is a great fit for this kind of song and perfectly matches the emotion in the story. I liked it a lot and thought you did quite a fine job.

And to my untrained ears, I only noticed pitch issues in the last 30 seconds. Previously, I'd notice them in your songs right from the start.

Maybe there are two or three places where you should go with words with fewer syllables, shorten up a phrase a little. It sounds like there is not enough room and you're squeezing in words. But only two or three.

Anyway, overall I thought you did a great job. I'm a fan.

Lars, I'm no expert on judging singing, but I just want to say that I really enjoyed it. You've written and arranged a really nice folk song. Sad, wistful with a very pleasant, soft melody. You could even say that the song has a nice hook (when you sing the phrase "way up on the hill" several times) it's a part of the song that sticks in my head and that I remember.

Your voices is a great fit for this kind of song and perfectly matches the emotion in the story. I liked it a lot and thought you did quite a fine job.

And to my untrained ears, I only noticed pitch issues in the last 30 seconds. Previously, I'd notice them in your songs right from the start.

Maybe there are two or three places where you should go with words with fewer syllables, shorten up a phrase a little. It sounds like there is not enough room and you're squeezing in words. But only two or three.

Anyway, overall I thought you did a great job. I'm a fan.

Thanks for the supportive and helpul feedback. It really brings me further along my path. I am actually very glad you mentioned hearing pitch issues towards the end. I thought I was hearing it too, and you confirm it. It means that my ear is improving, which is great!

Lars

Lars, just to highlight one moment you should look at. From 1:43-1:49. "Please move along, ma'am, you're not allowed here".

For "Please move along ma'am" your pitch sounds great. But at "you're not allowed here" you go off. Tell me if you notice this too, or if it's just me.

Anyway, whatever you've been doing to improve, keep doing it, or just stay with what you're doing right now, because honestly, you were solid for the strong majority of the song. Maybe tinkering around more is overkill and unnecessary. I think this is great.

A lot of famous pop singers struggle with pitch, so it's not only you.

I think you've improved in another important area beside pitch. I sometimes indulge a guilty pleasure of watching shows like American Idol. You'd be surprised, but with Harry Connick Jr. now a judge, it's really educational. He knows music and singing really well. He once told a contestant that "you have to commit to the vocal". To me he meant that you can't let the vocal fall out lazily, almost like you're speaking. You need force behind it. You need to drive the vocal. To me, this is the biggest improvement I've noticed in you over several months of listening and one that is evident in your newest recording.

Once again, Lars, really solid job, I thought it was great.

Lars, just to highlight one moment you should look at. From 1:43-1:49. "Please move along, ma'am, you're not allowed here".

For "Please move along ma'am" your pitch sounds great. But at "you're not allowed here" you go off. Tell me if you notice this too, or if it's just me.

Yes, I do think that part is off. My ears are not good enough to tell if I'm flat or sharp. If I have to guess, I go for flat :-)

I think as my ear and pitch improves, the confidence to sing with more force will come.

The weird thing is that I spend so little time writing the songs, and so much time trying to sing them correctly. This song took less than three hours to write, and I have worked on singing it at least ten times that long by now. I can barely tune the guitar by ear, but I am very confident about what chord changes I want and where to put them in my songs. My abilities are very unevenly distributed... :-)

Lars

Lars just listened to this track and to 3 others you have there. I think you are improving. Your pitch does wander at times but your an amateur for goodness sake and you seem to really enjoy what you do, and you aren't afraid to ask for criticism. You have a folky voice as has been said previously but you remind me of someone and I just can't think who it is - hell it could be from years back as I visited many folk clubs in the 60s and 70s. Keep it up

Archived