Gibson Brands Forums

This 70's Gibson Square J45 Sounds Pretty Sweet

MorrisrownSal

Its not bad Sal, pretty decent bottom end. Nevertheless you could hear that it struggles to get top end sparkle and does sounds sort of 'heavy' which probably comes from the thicker bracing (an the tuning).

Wouldnt pick its a Gibson though if it was a blind test, not hearing much midrange coming through or the low end dryness that were used to with Gibsons.

But nevertheless it is rather sweet sounding guitar, her touch and playing style makes it also sweeter.

I'd say this is a 1970, perhaps even 1969'er. Rings good and warm - would like to know choice of strings.

You can hear it's a heavier braced guitar from the way it answers her rather strong strumming. It's very tight/controlled.

A pre'68 would roar and rumble more, , , here we have a matter of taste'n'styles.

I played one of these approx. 5 years ago, and it was what it was. Alright sounding, but in the bulkier way one would expect.

Remember the burst on that 45 had turned darker over the years, so there we had a burgundy-yellow-brown slightly matt personality.

A serious guitar, , , , which didn't make it to my herd.

Nice woman - Hip performance - Good post

Tift Merritt is awesome, I have seen her a few times live and have a few of her cd's. She was really good in concert too.

I'll also mentioned she's a really cutie too, short, but with a super sexy figure. :D I thought I' mention that. I was standing at the bar when she walked by to take the stage. I ain't all that tall myself.

The times I saw her, she played a cherry red B25.

If my memory is correct, Tift's husband is the touring drummer for Sarah Lee Guthrie and Johnny Irion. That's where I have seen him. Sarahs a Gibson players, Johnny plays a dreadnought Martin usually. Sometime he plays electric, depending on the gig.

That is a pretty light strummy style, but a lot of singer songwriters are more about the vocals, when playing with a full band. Not so much about the acoustic guitar, even though it's there.

The 1969 & 1970 J-45/J-50 had the natural finish headstock and the engraved truss rod cover, also the Gibson logo on the headstock is a pearloid??,

inlay rather than gold paint or decal. Although the inlay isn't really inlaid, kind of onlaid and varnished over.

And as Sal suggested a similarity to a D-18, I think Gibson intended these to be their competition. With 25.50" scale, 1.72 nut, a nice sized neck the teardrop tortise pg, the belly down bridge, the square shoulder body they put this replacement for the 1968 and earlier J-45/J-50 out as a completely new model. Not better, but a new sound and looks to maybe get some Martin cats to try a Gibson?????

m

Archived