Gibson Brands Forums

Masterbilt Strap Buttons

Cobalt

Am I the only one who hates the straps locks on the Masterbilts? The top one is in a place that makes the guitar hang funny but I can live with that but the other one where the cable plugs into is impossible to use. I can never get a strap to actually fit around it. Today I got the bright idea to try and push the ends in with a screwdriver and now I have a scratch. I would imagine that there is something I can rub on the scratch to make it vanish but really, am i the only one who finds them useless?

My Masterbilt is acoustic only so I can't really answer the first part of your question. I feel your pain on the scratch. What I've done in the past (especially with leather straps) is to heat the leather with a hair dryer to make it a bit more pliable, and totally take the strap button off of the guitar, use whatever screwdrivers, pliers, etc. you need to get the button through the hole, then reattach the button to the guitar. Word of caution: it's easy to get things "misaligned" (aka "twisted") if you're not paying attention. Don't ask how I know this [biggrin]

Hope this helps a little, anyway.

• 8 months later...

On a couple of my guitars, I have lengthen the slit in the end of the strap button hole with a sharp knife. Then with a leather needle and heavy thread, I 'sew' the slit area loosely in an 'X' pattern, somewhat akin to shoe laces. Usually one 'X' will do. While the 'laces' are loose, push the strap over the button, then cinch up the laces to close the slit. For me, I want the cinched up button hole to be nigh on impossible to remove. That is where the strap resides for pretty much forever. I hardly ever remove a strap. And, I never, ever have a strap come undone on stage. If I ever want or need to remove the strap I'll just cut the laces. It is best if the hole part of the button hole is the same size as the strap button's notch so that the leather isn't all bunched up. Use a properly sized leather punch to correct the size of this hole.

Archived