Gibson Brands Forums

W.O.Y.M.T. ? Thread.

Digger

1446925049[/url]' post='1709540']

We are not exactly encouraged to own guns in this country and as a result I have just 4. A .22 cal bolt action (semi's are banned), a single barrel shotgun (for snakes) and both .22 and .177 cal air rifles. I use the air rifles mainly because all the properties around me have people, buildings and animals. I mostly shoot rabbits and that's all that is needed.

There is no such thing as having guns for self defence in this country (unless you are a Crim.) as the storage requirements mean they are seldom available when needed. If the police do a random check, and they do, and find even one cartridge unsecured they will confiscate ALL you guns and ammunition, and you will go to court and have a criminal conviction registered against you. It's a "Police State" here in that respect!

By the time I unlock a safe to get a firearm and then unlock another storage within the safe (must be separately locked) to get the ammo, whatever I wanted to shoot has moved on.

Meanwhile the Crims. are getting all the guns they want and there are gang related shootings in the suburbs almost daily, but showing they are doing something there is much harder than hassling legal shooters.

That's a crock! What gets me is you're trusted as a soldier to have a gun and use it in war for your country's freedom, and then distrusted as a criminal when you leave the military for civilian life! They punish law abiding citizens and let criminals go free till they catch them in the act. That's government for you.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1446932241[/url]' post='1709570']

Hi Digger, the funny thing about this, is that I was helping them with the housework. I cleaned the mirror but I must have dislodged the clips that was holding it in place. I then started wiping the towel rail and then.....donk....the mirror fell and hit me on the head. [blush]

kind regards, Emma :)

Darn, another one who loves housework, and lives so far away! msp_crying.gif I was going to say all our mirrors are secured and nothing will hurt you here. Lol. And it gets dusty too! msp_flapper.gif Too bad we live so far awaymsp_scared.gif

Living here in rural Oz is extremely dusty too Emma and we can never keep up. Having wood fires and a dog don't help actually.

Hi Digger, here in Suffolk we have very sandy soil, plus living in the countryside the blossom from the trees leaves a very fine yellow dust.

We've got two dogs, Amber is a mixture of yorkie and jack russell and Millie is a lhasa apso. Millie likes rolling around on the floor, she really does buff up the slate flooring in the hall :lol:

Darn, another one who loves housework, and lives so far away! msp_crying.gif I was going to say all our mirrors are secured and nothing will hurt you here. Lol. And it gets dusty too! msp_flapper.gif Too bad we live so far awaymsp_scared.gif

Hi Retired, you have won me over with the secure mirrors [thumbup]

I'll start packing my osterich feather duster and micro-fibre cloths. I'll pop over once I've cleaned at Digger's.

Almost 60 here today later on. Darn it, I decided to winterize the Harley's & put them away today. Not much of a ride'n season for me again this year, but better than last year. I really wanted to get out on the open road for a backpacking two weeks trip.

Sweet dreams my iron Ponies & rest up, cuz you're a gonna need that rest for all the running around you may get next year!! (I always dream & believe I'm going to catch fish when I go fishing too!) :rolleyes:

Aster

That's a crock! What gets me is you're trusted as a soldier to have a gun and use it in war for your country's freedom, and then distrusted as a criminal when you leave the military for civilian life! They punish law abiding citizens and let criminals go free till they catch them in the act. That's government for you.

Yes indeed, on one hand we are landholders are required to control vermin on our property, and on the other hand are indeed subjected to a punitive regime of control. The media here are very left wing and keep pushing for tighter and tighter control. They don't seem to believe that anyone has a legitimate need for a gun it seems. Meanwhile the Crims. shoot the joint up whenever there is an issue!

This forces law-abiding people to break the law so they can have access to a necessary tool like in my case, an air rifle to shoot rabbits when they pop out. Rabbits are "Enemy No 1" in Australia and do massive damage to the land, inc. here! (shot 3 yesterday)

Things used to be reasonable here but all tightened up after a terrible massacre at Port Arthur in Tasmania. This Wiki link is disturbing so don't read it if you have any doubts please. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

We were forced to sell out semi autos back to the government after this and now only bolt action, max 5 round mag allowed. No pump action, just single barrel or double barrel shotguns.

Now they must be stored in a safe which is bolted to the wall or floor and the safe must be locked at all times. You are not allowed to divulge the location of the key or combination to the safe to anyone else and there are plenty of cases of police trying to trick partner of gun owner into unlocking the safe thereby showing that the licence holder has broken the law. The ammunition has to be stored in a lockable container bolted to the inside of the gun safe. Any breach sees all firearms and ammo confiscated, shooters licence will be cancelled, and a conviction likely to be found against that gun owner. Even if you don't get a conviction, it's almost impossible to get another shooters licence or your property back. How is that for draconian?

Whilst I don't want to see things as open as in the US, there has to be a middle ground esp. for those with a genuine need like me.

Almost 60 here today later on. Darn it, I decided to winterize the Harley's & put them away today. Not much of a ride'n season for me again this year, but better than last year. I really wanted to get out on the open road for a backpacking two weeks trip.

Sweet dreams my iron Ponies & rest up, cuz you're a gonna need that rest for all the running around you may get next year!! (I always dream & believe I'm going to catch fish when I go fishing too!) :rolleyes:

Aster

Sad times yes but the anticipation as you come into next season will hopefully sweeten the experience up even more.

Chickens are on my mind today. We decided to build a back yard coop, and I'm about half way done. Anyone got any good chicken keeping advice?

We have had "chooks" as they are called here for years and every day I go up with scraps and grain for them, and of course collect the eggs. There is just nothing like your own eggs!

Unfortunately because of Foxes we can't allow them to free-range so green scraps are good for the colour of the egg yolks and whilst their main nutrition is layer pellets, I find a couple of handfuls of mixed grain every day keeps those yolk golden. Of course if they feee-range then they will be golden anyway.

Pen fencing needs to extend under the ground or Foxes and other predators will dig in for a free Chicken dinner. Needs roofing too as Foxes climb. I've had to put a solar electric fence a round my "girls" to stop the foxes from trying to dig in which may sound a bit extreme but I was getting a couple of attempts a week recently.. Foxes have even worried the wire on the pen until it has fatigued and they got in and killed my chooks! I now have double wire up to about 4 feet high.

Chooks are pretty maintenance free actually and just seem to do their own thing, however:

If you allow them out near gardens they will scratch our mulch all over the place!

If near the house they will come up on your veranda and poo all over the place!

If you are experiencing very hot weather you need to keep their drinking water cool. Replace it a couple of times a day as if the water is hot (from the sun) or it will kill them as that is their only means of controlling body temperature.

Enjoy them. (pics of eggs expected)

For me its all about my website today....

Im about to put it live in the next few hours and I am totally crapping myself cos this is the official start of my business and when things start to get serious... And im really not sure whats going to happen... it is also exciting cos well this is what ive been building up to for the last couple of years.. But the nervous and or anxious side of me is far overpowering that. :unsure:

For me its all about my website today....

Im about to put it live in the next few hours and I am totally crapping myself cos this is the official start of my business and when things start to get serious... And im really not sure whats going to happen... it is also exciting cos well this is what ive been building up to for the last couple of years.. But the nervous and or anxious side of me is far overpowering that. :unsure:

Fingers crossed!

We have had "chooks" as they are called here for years and every day I go up with scraps and grain for them, and of course collect the eggs. There is just nothing like your own eggs!

Unfortunately because of Foxes we can't allow them to free-range so green scraps are good for the colour of the egg yolks and whilst their main nutrition is layer pellets, I find a couple of handfuls of mixed grain every day keeps those yolk golden. Of course if they feee-range then they will be golden anyway.

Pen fencing needs to extend under the ground or Foxes and other predators will dig in for a free Chicken dinner. Needs roofing too as Foxes climb. I've had to put a solar electric fence a round my "girls" to stop the foxes from trying to dig in which may sound a bit extreme but I was getting a couple of attempts a week recently.. Foxes have even worried the wire on the pen until it has fatigued and they got in and killed my chooks! I now have double wire up to about 4 feet high.

Chooks are pretty maintenance free actually and just seem to do their own thing, however:

If you allow them out near gardens they will scratch our mulch all over the place!

If near the house they will come up on your veranda and poo all over the place!

If you are experiencing very hot weather you need to keep their drinking water cool. Replace it a couple of times a day as if the water is hot (from the sun) or it will kill them as that is their only means of controlling body temperature.

Enjoy them. (pics of eggs expected)

Great tips. Thanks! I've cut and finished most of the boards. Just need to start assembling it. We don't have foxes in the neighborhood, but lots of raccoons and they have been known to kill a chicken or two. The coop will be close to the house, but I will still likely need to get the hardware cloth under the ground to prevent digging predators.

Hi Digger, here in Suffolk we have very sandy soil, plus living in the countryside the blossom from the trees leaves a very fine yellow dust.

We've got two dogs, Amber is a mixture of yorkie and jack russell and Millie is a lhasa apso. Millie likes rolling around on the floor, she really does buff up the slate flooring in the hall :lol:

It sounds like we have similar problems Emma, that must be why you are so good at housework!!!

1447018583[/url]' post='1709888']

Great tips. Thanks! I've cut and finished most of the boards. Just need to start assembling it. We don't have foxes in the neighborhood, but lots of raccoons and they have been known to kill a chicken or two. The coop will be close to the house, but I will still likely need to get the hardware cloth under the ground to prevent digging predators.

I didn't know that. Our neighbor has chickens and I've seen lots of coons around here, I've trapped some and took them far away by this lake to be released. That's probably why the pen is enclosed in chicken wire. They never get out.

I didn't know that. Our neighbor has chickens and I've seen lots of coons around here, I've trapped some and took them far away by this lake to be released. That's probably why the pen is enclosed in chicken wire. They never get out.

A friend of mine has had raccoons reach through the chicken wire and pull his chickens' heads out through the hole. I'm using hardware cloth instead.

If the police do a random check, and they do....

Man, that's totally illegal in the States. Cops need probable cause that a crime is being committed in order to search, especially someone's HOME, which is akin to one's castle. There are only a couple exceptions, like if someone is in danger or in trouble, police can enter. Otherwise, no.

Man, that's totally illegal in the States. Cops need probable cause that a crime is being committed in order to search, especially someone's HOME, which is akin to one's castle. There are only a couple exceptions, like if someone is in danger or in trouble, police can enter. Otherwise, no.

Nah it's a bloody "police state" here where firearms are concerned, unless you are a criminal it seems!

Even if you get caught carrying a pocket knife you have some explaining to do.

Nah it's a bloody "police state" here where firearms are concerned, unless you are a criminal it seems!

Amongst other things I did yesterday I bought Gael a new inkjet printer. The old one was OK but the wireless function inexplicably died on it a week ago,

As president of the local art society and also editor of the society magazine she needs a reliable printer at home. I have a colour multi laser in my study but we could never get it to work with her laptop, probably my fault as the 10,000 (I jest) page booklet that came with my printer is too small for me to read and so I tend to wing it.

So I bought another HP and finally got around to installing it about mid afternoon.

What fun!

I reckon I worked for 2 hours and became very frustrated and finally the bloody thing printed wirelessly from her laptop. The laptop initially wouldn't read the software disc and so I had to download the drivers from the HP site.

Yeah it ended up alright and I can print remotely from any device we have but oh how I dread new printers these days. Most everything else sets itself up almost without involvement but do printers....no bloody way!

Anyone else at this stage with these things?

I do realise that as I get older (fossilising) my ability to deal with complex issue is plummeting so it is probably just me.

Yes I have gone as far as I want to now with computer technology.

I don't have wireless, no smartphone or laptop to sync, no satnav, no TV.

At the moment I use an old HP deskjet that someone gave me.

More gadgets, more 'progress'? Can't be bothered these days......

And...keep very quiet about this.....

I don't always turn on my amp at home and so play and practice acoustically....ssshhh....

Yes I have gone as far as I want to now with computer technology.

I don't have wireless, no smartphone or laptop to sync, no satnav, no TV.

At the moment I use an old HP deskjet that someone gave me.

More gadgets, more 'progress'? Can't be bothered these days......

Believe me I'm getting there.....I'm getting there!

1447174657[/url]' post='1710502']

msp_thumbup.gif Or reported drugs, they can bust the door in. Then they come in with shot guns and ready to shoot. Best to comply then. I've heard they have gotten the wrong address before and busted in.

1447184371[/url]' post='1710532']

My question is: if police come in and try to trick you to open your safe, and then nail you for doing so, and arrest you. Then how can they demand that you open it, to make sure everything is legal and in accordance to the law? I'd laugh and tell them to buzz off.

Archived