Gibson Brands Forums

New Amp Day

Guitar God

Well, got a new amp today. Got rid of my Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Epiphone Dot Deluxe, Ibanez SZ520, Dean Flying V, and my Kustom Coupe 36 amp - never played them anymore - and got me a red Vox AC15. Had my eye on one for awhile now. Pretty happy with it. Sounds really great. An amp I wish I would've gotten a long time ago. Also, I'm FINALLY getting my dream guitar tomorrow, which is a heritage cherry sunburst Gibson Les Paul Standard. I started playing guitar back in 2000 when I was 8 years old and a heritage cherry sunburst Gibson Les Paul Standard has been my dream guitar since then. The one I'm getting is a 2001 model. It's honestly pretty much a brand new guitar. Getting it off a friend of mine who bought it brand new, played it for a couple of months, put it in storage, and got it back out this past Christmas. So, I'm MEGA excited for that. Will post a topic and pictures when I get it, but for now here's the Vox. [biggrin]

bXxhcEg.jpg

Thanks! What do you want to know about my PRS guitars?

I've never played one in fact but heard they are somewhere between Gibson and Fender.

How does your 'best' PRS compare with your 'best' Fender or Gibson?

Do you play them a lot or in preference to some of your other guitars?

Are they set-neck or bolt-on?

Regards!

I like the Vox AC 15.

I owned a Vox Custom Classic for a while, and it was not not bad. It was traded out on an amp clean out.

Too bad the Vox stuff is all made in China, even the hand wired stuff.

My Vox like sounding amp is a Dr Z Maz 18. Kinda does the Vox thing pretty well.

Right now I'm mostly using and working with a Fender Princeton Reissue trying to tweak it out. Rickenbackers love Vox stuff and Fender amps.

Oh and my lil practice amp is one of the those Vox modeling amps VT 30.

The sweetest sound you ever get out of a Vox ac 15 or ac 30 is right at the cusp of the thing blowing up. :D

I like the Vox AC 15.

I owned a Vox Custom Classic for a while, and it was not not bad. It was traded out on an amp clean out.

Too bad the Vox stuff is all made in China, even the hand wired stuff.

My Vox like sounding amp is a Dr Z Maz 18. Kinda does the Vox thing pretty well.

Right now I'm mostly using and working with a Fender Princeton Reissue trying to tweak it out. Rickenbackers love Vox stuff and Fender amps.

Oh and my lil practice amp is one of the those Vox modeling amps VT 30.

The sweetest sound you ever get out of a Vox ac 15 or ac 30 is right at the cusp of the thing blowing up. :D

The MAZ 18 is good stuff. Heard (saw) some guys that used them and they sounded absolutely great.

I am interested to hear how your tweaking with the Fender reissue goes. I played one the other day, and while I didn't get into it much, it seemed like it might be pretty good. The new ones might be different than the regular, or original Black-faced reissues, which to me, are nowhere near or sound like the originals.

HNAD!!!!

Great choice. I love my Fender Blues Deluxe, but my Vox AC15 is still my amp of choice with what I like to hear. A must for the old Brit music IMHO at least to my ears.

That AC10 release looks like a real beauty of a product too. Wonder how much tone diff it is with the 15 & 30 versions?

Aster

Yes, great choise!

I have a red AC15 too, bought it when they where launched, it´s the best amp i´ve ever owned, and i have had a lot, Fenders, Marshalls, Voxes, it´s so easy to handle, pretty much sweet spots however you dial :-)

Only drawback could be if you play big venues whithout PA, and the cleans are not Fender clean, softer, which i nowadays prefere, soo.... And they are cheap, because, or thanks to, they´re MIC.

The MAZ 18 is good stuff. Heard (saw) some guys that used them and they sounded absolutely great.

I am interested to hear how your tweaking with the Fender reissue goes. I played one the other day, and while I didn't get into it much, it seemed like it might be pretty good. The new ones might be different than the regular, or original Black-faced reissues, which to me, are nowhere near or sound like the originals.

Ok here's the deal with the PRRI

On most Fender amps I use the high input setting. This one for some reason seem to do better for me on the low input.

I am now running the bass up higher without the flab in the the speaker. and it still takes pedals well.

I spent some serious time with it over the past few days using a Telecaster and a Rickenbacker. I need run some Gibson humbuckers through it again and see where it stands.

Didn't have the time this weekend to open it up and check the bias voltage, but that is coming.

I have actually had this amp for quite a few years, and was running it a low volume. To get some grit out of the amp, I was using a Fulltone II OD. The Rickenbacker was really sounding good with a touch of compression added to it.

I talked to a few folks about a speaker change, and there was some recommendations, but I'm still not sure. The peeps at Eminence didn't seem to be very helpful. Talked to the folks at Jensen too. Maybe the ceramic Jensen is really all it needs. IDK. A power tube upgrade never hurts. I really don't need a 1/2 dozen speakers kicking around the house.

The funny thing is I have a 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue and that seemed almost prefect out of the box. The Princeton, makes you work at your guitar volume and tone a bit more.

I'm gonna hit the volume hard on that Princeton and give that stock Jensen a real workout. Maybe cause I was running it at a lower volume it was never broke in. I'm not looking for something magical this amp was never meant to do. I just wanted it to get creamy as you turn up the volume.

I've never played one in fact but heard they are somewhere between Gibson and Fender.

How does your 'best' PRS compare with your 'best' Fender or Gibson?

Do you play them a lot or in preference to some of your other guitars?

Are they set-neck or bolt-on?

Regards!

I love PRS guitars. They're absolutely incredible guitars. The SE's are phenomenal as well. If someone were to ask me my opinion on the best guitars for the money I would say the PRS SE's and the Mexican Fender's without a doubt. I have an S2 Custom 22, which U.S.A. made. More affordable U.S.A. models that came out a couple years ago. Those range from $1,150 - $1,400. I know that's still expensive, but still affordable compared to before the S2 line came out when it was a few hundred dollars for the Korean SE's to $2,000 and up for a U.S.A. PRS if you know what I mean. The SE's are made in Korea. However, PRS have released a new line of SE's this year called the SE Standards that are Indonesian made that are around $500. Haven't had the opportunity to play one of those, yet. But, they're quality is amazing. My two SE's are just as great of quality as my U.S.A. S2 Custom 22. As far as comparing them to my Gibson's and Fender's, I would say three different worlds. All three have they're qualities. But, I will say that the PRS scale length is in between Gibson and Fender scale length at 25. Hope this helps!

I love PRS guitars. They're absolutely incredible guitars. The SE's are phenomenal as well. If someone were to ask me my opinion on the best guitars for the money I would say the PRS SE's and the Mexican Fender's without a doubt. I have an S2 Custom 22, which U.S.A. made. More affordable U.S.A. models that came out a couple years ago. Those range from $1,150 - $1,400. I know that's still expensive, but still affordable compared to before the S2 line came out when it was a few hundred dollars for the Korean SE's to $2,000 and up for a U.S.A. PRS if you know what I mean. The SE's are made in Korea. However, PRS have released a new line of SE's this year called the SE Standards that are Indonesian made that are around $500. Haven't had the opportunity to play one of those, yet. But, they're quality is amazing. My two SE's are just as great of quality as my U.S.A. S2 Custom 22. As far as comparing them to my Gibson's and Fender's, I would say three different worlds. All three have they're qualities. But, I will say that the PRS scale length is in between Gibson and Fender scale length at 25. Hope this helps!

Agree about the PRS's. Beautiful sound, excellent playability. Look good too.

When I tried a SE Custom 24, I had to buy it. No two ways about it.

Thanks! Yeah, it sounds great! Haha, awesome! Did you start playing then at that age, too?

No I didn't really have the focus to teach myself an instrument at that age. It took me up until I was about 13 or 14 to start getting down to learning/practicing. If you started at 8 you must be pretty damn good!

No I didn't really have the focus to teach myself an instrument at that age. It took me up until I was about 13 or 14 to start getting down to learning/practicing. If you started at 8 you must be pretty damn good!

That's cool. I was in 2nd grade when I started playing. Who made you want to pick up guitar, by the way? Much appreciated, man.

Archived