Gibson Brands Forums

End of an era

ponty

Things are changing. The internet and "online" is changing things, the way we do things.

Around here, I honestly don't know any REAL guitar stores anymore. They closed. Last one was Apple music, which was only months ago.

I hope someone buys the place, even though it really won't be the same, there is no rule that says it can't be as good if the right people take over.

We need all the REAL guitar shops we can get. That goes for anything, really.

Man, I hate that for you guys/gals up there.

I live in an area without much but it's only a few hours to Nashville. The internet has, indeed, changed the way we do business.

And I agree.

Sal should buy it !

But you still didnt answer the question if you will buy it ..... you should, you know. [thumbup]

Sal's too smart to give up his day job to own a guitar store. He'd just keep all his stock.

I note that in the picture, Stan seems to be saying "I just sold you a cheaper Martin, but I'm gonna sell you the D-45 I'm holding in my hand!"

RIP, Stan.

Sorry to hear about Mandolin Brothers; I never went there but I remember drooling over their wares. I'm an old guy; I remember the days when there were pipe and tobacco shops, guitar shops, fly fishing shops, and real hardware stores...all the places I loved and liked to hang around in. There are a few left but they're becoming rare. First big box retail and then the internet I guess.

The hardware store in the little suburban town I live in closed a while back, and then a branch of one in the nearby city opened up. I was prepared to be unimpressed until the first day I walked in. There was a sign on the door that said "your dog is welcome here" and a small selection of rifle and shotgun shells right near the front door. They have a small tack department and some fishing gear. No guitars or pipes & tobacco (yet) but it's my new happy place!

Around here, I honestly don't know any REAL guitar stores anymore. They closed. Last one was Apple music, which was only months ago.

Mom & Pops can sometimes be victims, to whatever extent, of their own practices.

Apple music did not typically discount guitars to a percentage similar to many other retailers, and they didn't do full refunds, only exchanges. At least that was the case in 2009, the last time I was in there.

I first went there in 1991 and bought a new HD28. While I was there Stan handed me a 1940 D28 just like that. At the time the price was $20K.

Then I bought a D18GE there in 2004 along with a Goodall for my son. Last time I was there was about 18 months ago when I bought a D28 Marquis. Stan was always friendly and knowledgeable. Also helped me out when I needed to send my HD28 back to Martin for warranty work.

Sad day when there is no more Mandolin Bros. It was for us who live nearby, nirvana.

Rich

I bought a Guild D55 there in 2001. (I wanted an SJ-200, didn't see any Hummingbirds, and eventually went with a B-stock Guild over a used J-185 or used Martin D-35.) Really had a nice time with the staff. There was a guy, named Denny, I believe, and he was fun. Stan was busy as he could possibly have been, but a lady who worked there convinced him to pose with me and the guitar for a photo. :) She also gave me a copy of Acoustic Guitar Magazine for free when I attempted to buy it. "Just take it!"

Archived