Gibson Brands Forums

Compressors ?

dc3c46

I'm tempted to try the TC Hypergravity too. Seems like it does it all - old school or new school comp sounds. I use the ol standard - MXR Dynacomp. The secret is you point the knobs at each other (3:00 and 9:00). [thumbup] It stays on all night for every song.

Funny Murph. [biggrin]

I've thought about getting a compressor for awhile also. But I really don't know anything about how to use it. I had a Boss ME-50 that had a compressor built in, but I found that it caused a lot of hum and then you had to use the noise gate which I hate.

But it would be nice to get that smooth overdriven sound (like Neal Schon) without too much volume. I think he used compression to smooth out all those notes. :-k

Let us know if you decide to try one and tell us how it works....

Keeley 4-knob is expensive but the best one I have. Far better than my Visual Sound one in the Route 66 pedal.

I also have a Hartman comp (based on the Orange Squeezer) which I am selling as I haven't been able to integrate it with my other pedals. Probably my 'bad'.....but it's vicious!

... (based on the Orange Squeezer)

Forgot about that one. I have an Orange Squeezer clone too that I built. It doesn't "compress" nearly as much - functions a bit more like a booster, but it sounds really great. In fact I thought it worked really well with other pedals. The only reason I replaced it with the DynaComp is for that really squishy slide guitar sound.

The thing with the lights on top of the amp is a kind of compressor.

It's a replica of the audio part of one of the first wireless systems, The schaffer-vega .

Sounds pretty cool, and looks bada..

It has a foot switch BTW, so it's my boost for lead.

I have first generation, as expensive i thought those were(700$). MK2 is even more (1200$)

Yea i know, stupidity [biggrin]

IMG_0109_zps3vhrlg8z.jpg

I had a two-knob Keeley, but gave it to a friend who plays more than I do. Not that I didn't love it, just he needed it more, Or rather, I LOVED it so much I gave it to him.

I replaced it with the 4 knob, which I also love. But for some reason, it seems to be missing a little something the 2 knob one I had, had.

Now I am absolutely intrigued by this "compressor pro".

From 2002 - 2008 I used the Keeley 2 knob compressor. Then I switched over to his 4 knob compressor until earlier this year when I switched over to his Compressor Pro. There is nothing else like it IMHO.

CompPro.jpg

It's worth noting that the Keeley and Janglebox (and many other comps) are modified DynaComp copies. You'll get better noise performance and more tweakability out of the Keeley, but essentially it is a DynaComp with more knobs

It's worth noting that the Keeley and Janglebox (and many other comps) are modified DynaComp copies. You'll get better noise performance and more tweakability out of the Keeley, but essentially it is a DynaComp with more knobs

Also worth noting that nearly all compressors are based on the Dyna-comp and a couple others...I forget the other one.

I will say this, though: the Keeley finds itself in a lot more uses and a lot more "settings" because of how quiet it is, where often the Dyna-Comp and others won't work well.

Also, the differences between one Dyna-Comp "copy" and another is often how they sound because of whatever "settings" the maker chooses to lean toward. One brighter, one more squishy, etc. Where the Keeley has made the 4 knob, it really is like having attributes of many of the different comps, if one could figure out where to put the knob settings.

That is to say, the Keeley does the Dyna-Comp sound, and a Dyna-Comp can be like a Keeley for some things. But the Keeley does much more than the Dyna-Comp.

Archived