Gibson Brands Forums

Organic Bananas....Who Knew ?

Murph

I'm a big fruit eater, always have been. I was making smoothies 35 years ago with a Waring blender.

But I never bought organic anything unless there was no option. So a month or so back I'm at Krogers and guess what?

There was no other option, all they had was organic bananas, they were like 69 cents a pound versus like 55 cents for the regular ones they were out of.

Holy banana, Batman....

These things have twice the shelf life, are much more firm, better color, better flavor, everything about them is just WAY better.

Anyhow, I wish somebody would have told me this 35 years ago.

So I'm telling you.....

Thats bananas! :rolleyes:

I have stopped using a lot of organic produce lately as I cant tell the difference. Except with milk. Organic milk goes off faster than the regular stuff.

I cant make the same comparison you did with bananas. I think all the bananas in my neck of the woods are organic. I will check though.

Thanks for posting this.

Yup.

Organic stuff these days tastes just like ordinary stuff did 40 years ago.

That's progress for you.

Who would have thought trying to grow the maximum acreage of a food product using the minimum amount of time / space / care and with the cheapest possible source materials would mean that the end produce would taste of nothing whatsoever?

Pip.

Well, given the influence of GMO's in our food products, the recent WHO announcement about bacon and processed food and cancer...

well...I remember cribs with lead paint, bikes before helmets, well, you know...

In any event, I remember reading where Nell Newman (daughter of Paul, founder of Newman's Own Brands) was trying to get him to get into organic, and he was "resistant" to say the least. She offered to cook Thanksgiving dinner that year, and after dinner announced that everything she made was "organic". She got the immediate go ahead to start the organic branch of Newman's Own. At least that's how I heard it.

Organic...charging you more for the way food should be grown.

Here's a definition: organic produce and other ingredients are grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms, or ionizing radiation.

Oh, so you mean they grow it in the ground using real fertilizer?

In many cases the organic produce tastes better.

Without preservatives, they have to get it to you quicker. That means they wait until it's ripe to pick it.

That tomato in the store may have been picked green months before it ever hit the shelf at your store and artificially ripened. It costs less to do it that way.

I would never buy an apple that isn't organic. Why? It always tops the "dirty dozen" list for the foods with the greatest amount of pesticides still in the food. Bonus, the organic ones taste better and have better crunch.

That doesn't mean I'm a total food freak. There are things that are worth the extra money, and other things that are not. We all have a different place to draw that line.

Insights and incites by Notes

Funny fads nowadays. <_<

Any grown nutrition is organic and biological. On principal, every component contained therein except water and minerals is denominated organic and biological. Next to all man-made unwanted synthetic residues within grown produce are organic, too, but not biological.

It's about making more money in first order.

Funny fads nowadays. <_<

Any grown nutrition is organic and biological. On principal, every component contained therein except water and minerals is denominated organic and biological. ...

True... but that's really just hair-splitting. (Like saying everything we eat, drink, touch, or breathe is "chemical" - or we're all "naturally radioactive")

Words often have many definitions. Sure, anything living is "organic". In medicine "organic" means relating directly to one of the organs. Obviously applying that definition to bananas would be silly.

Food certified as organic, however, meets certain farming criteria. These criteria can vary by country of sale. However, the criteria for the label is regulated by organizations such as the USDA or the European Commission. Whether you eat it or not (or feel justified paying the extra cost) is up to you. But whichever produce I buy I can promise you one thing... I wash it thoroughly!

In medicine "organic" means relating directly to one of the organs. Obviously applying that definition to bananas would be silly.

Inadvertent-tongue-in-cheek-saucydouble-entendre banana joke ahoy!

I wash it thoroughly!

Ok, ok...enough already [tongue]

English humour....carry on...!

Archived