Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BluesKing777

Baggs M1 Active pickup

As some of you know, I have been trying various soundhole pickups in my guitars that I don't want to alter, maybe maybe in an effort to stave off desires for fully auto electronika like a Aura fitted guitar.

A friend swears by the Baggs M1 live, but his is installed.

Can you just put the pickup in the soundhole and dangle the lead out and down like some of the Fishmans I have? Does it come with cable?

BluesKing777.

The one I have has a 1/8" plug that lets me take it out or put it in whenever I want.

Don't know why you couldn't let it dangle, or get whatever cable you wanted for it.

Thats the first pickup I bought BK for the acoustic only gits. It is isntalled like the Fishman with the lead hanging out.

Utterly hated the tone, sounded phasey, like an electric almost. Returned it as i thought something was wrong with it, the next one sounded the same.

Never buying Baggs products again, their customer service was **** too.

Well there is the brutal truth!

That bad, eh? [sneaky]

Next then....

I ran my Fish REB in my Gibson 12 string today - mic and pickup superb but 12 strings and a warm but very humid day and I couldn't get the 12 going.

Then we took the hound for a walk at a boat ramp for a change and got back to the car and it wouldn't go....bummer. Had to get the tray truck home with the dog still in the car and the Princess and I in the truck. So guitar pickup fund will be going over to the car fund! [unsure] .

One good thing is the truck guy said he used to have a car like mine and gave me some tips and the name of a top engineer.....no more Gomer! We shall see.

BluesKing777.

With the temporary / removable install you are describing - just remember that if somebody steps on your chord while you are moving at all - there is a risk of the pickup cracking the sound hole. [cursing]

With the temporary / removable install you are describing - just remember that if somebody steps on your chord while you are moving at all - there is a risk of the pickup cracking the sound hole. [cursing]

[/quote

True, there is a risk of that ... and most likely it will be the player.

I have one in my j-45, for me the best pickup so far, but don't know too many. Mine came only with a cable for a connection to the endpin jacket. The pickup has a mini jack so you just have to get one of those cables.

Do you use your aura pedal with your other soundhole pups! How does that work out. I'm thinking about getting some sort of a new preamp.

Thanks!

EA has put me off the pickup.

As for standing on the lead and ripping the soundhole out of the guitar, well it is a scary point! Gaffa tape a loop around the guitar endpin?

As for the Aura pedal, the images don't work much with magnetic soundhole pickups, but I turn the image section off and use the other features like vol, eq, compressor, DI - all very useful. The same goes when I use my Fishman with the internal mic.

BluesKing777.

I have a Martin D15... and I mess around at home with it and a Seymour Duncan Woody. Out of all my guitar/pickup combinations.... this sounds the best through my SoloAmp.

Explain that to me... I cant... I just know how it sounds.

I have a Martin D15... and I mess around at home with it and a Seymour Duncan Woody. Out of all my guitar/pickup combinations.... this sounds the best through my SoloAmp.

Explain that to me... I cant... I just know how it sounds.

I bought one of those years back, when they first came out. One of the reasons I have tried the other soundhole pickups - it sounds pretty mellow.

It also sounds great through the Aura with a low image percentage....

BluesKing777.

A friend who bought a Blues King recently rang and is bringing it over to show me later today. He also is bringing his 000-15 with Baggs M1 pickup, so I may be able to wrestle them in to my hands to try.....the BK has the Baggs Anthem.

BluesKing777.

I got to play the Blues King, the 000-15 and the National Style O! All set up beautifully by my luthier/tech at various times.

The Blues King is mahogany body, while mine is Bubinga and very different but both nice. His is set with the Baggs Anthem and it sounded great through my mixer, but the best part being the internal mic - can cause feedback live if too loud apparently.

The 000-15 has the Baggs M1 and through the mixer it was ok, but a bit 'plunky' sounding to me. I can see how these would be popular up loud on stage though.

The National had a Highlander that I didn't hear because he didn't bring the preamp and lead. But the setup with compromise settting for some slide and some chording was just beautiful.

All was well, but now he may want a J45....... [biggrin]

BluesKing777.