Gibson Brands Forums

2013 LP New old stock??

iluvcrap2000

Well I'm perusing Guitar Center looking for deals/ect. and well found these http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/2013-Les-Paul-Standard-Premium-Koa-Electric-Guitar.gc Look like they are taking orders for them, but I find it kinda suspicious, Due 12/07/15. I REALLY Want a Koa LP in Tea, but I Seriously Doubt they are remaking 2013 models with that top. I WILL Buy one if they are available, we'll find out tomorrow.

They might be NOS items. Gibson sometimes seems to offer overstock to dealers years after making the related items. The oldest NOS Gibson I know of positively has been six years old. The average age is around two years to my observations and experiences. The two NOS Gibsons I bought new in 2013 were made in 2011.

Well I'm perusing Guitar Center looking for deals/ect. and well found these http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/2013-Les-Paul-Standard-Premium-Koa-Electric-Guitar.gc Look like they are taking orders for them, but I find it kinda suspicious, Due 12/07/15. I REALLY Want a Koa LP in Tea, but I Seriously Doubt they are remaking 2013 models with that top. I WILL Buy one if they are available, we'll find out tomorrow.

Ohh man, they are beautiful... I keep saying Gibson need to make some guitars out of some different woods... I think that's way more interesting than trying to update them with technology..

And if it were me.. ohh that dessert burst koa is well tasty [thumbup]

Ohh man, they are beautiful... I keep saying Gibson need to make some guitars out of some different woods... I think that's way more interesting than trying to update them with technology..

And if it were me.. ohh that dessert burst koa is well tasty [thumbup]

well talked to Them and hey they ARE taking orders for them. Now don't know if I should fork over for a 2016 Standard or a 2013 Standard Koa. hmmm, Still can get a 36/m 0% deal on both.

In January this year I bought a new 2013 LP Standard with Maple top for less than $3,000 canadian. I think it was an old price, from before the Canadian Dollar went south to $0.75 American.

The price of this KOA model in current Canadian Dollars is $4,666 after the discount! Nice top on the guitar! But what a price! I'd be eating Kraft Dinner for 3 years if I got it on the 36 month/0% interest deal.

Guitar Centre doesn't ship to Canada anyway. I've bought American catalogue items from Lee Valley and Land's End when the dollar was stronger and was very happy with the products.

I've been starting to hear stories about NOS items, recently. I've got the impression from some that Gibson are sitting on a warehouse of models going back a few years.

If they occasionally do this sort of thing; does anyone know if you can ask your local dealer to request a particular guitar, provided they have it available? I'd be so tempted to forgo a 2016 Standard T or Traditional T for a Manhattan Midnight LP Standard / Traditional if there was one (dream on, Pesh)...

I've been starting to hear stories about NOS items, recently. I've got the impression from some that Gibson are sitting on a warehouse of models going back a few years.

In a business with margins like guitar manufacturing they'd last about a year doing that. NOS stuff is in the hands of the bigger distributors, they had the money up front to get such a large batch at the time.

rct

In a business with margins like guitar manufacturing they'd last about a year doing that. NOS stuff is in the hands of the bigger distributors, they had the money up front to get such a large batch at the time.

rct

Gibson distribute their products themselves here in EC, operating a large facility in The Netherlands.

I have positive informations that a single Reverse Explorer, Guitar of The Month in September 2008, was bought by a large retailer in 2014, same as four L6S 2011 guitars with Antique Natural finish, also in 2014. Obviously Gibson Europe sold some overstock then.

Gibson distribute their products themselves here in EC, operating a large facility in The Netherlands.

I have positive informations that a single Reverse Explorer, Guitar of The Month in September 2008, was bought by a large retailer in 2014, same as four L6S 2011 guitars with Antique Natural finish, also in 2014. Obviously Gibson Europe sold some overstock then.

They do, have so since early 2000s.

I don't doubt at all that NOS stuff gets to the retailer, no matter what country we are talking about, and you have a fine example of 5 guitars of the probably 10, 20 thousand to Europe annually.

The point of my post was that a company does not willingly and strategically sit on a warehouse of NOS. Inventory in manufacturing is the raw materials needed to make the guitars. Guitars aren't exactly inventory to a maker, they are inventory to a re-seller of guitars, so guitars in warehouses for the manufacturer become liabilities after some accounting period has passed, and it isn't as long as a model year I would guess.

If you make guitars and you have a building full of made guitars, why would you make more guitars? That's what the accountants that everyone loves to hate would be saying.

rct

The point of my post was that a company does not willingly and strategically sit on a warehouse of NOS.

If you make guitars and you have a building full of made guitars, why would you make more guitars? That's what the accountants that everyone loves to hate would be saying.

rct

I agree completely.

I picked up my brand new NOS 2013 Alpine White LP Studio for $850 in July at Sam Ash. They had five in stock that day - four Alpine Whites and one Ebony. I picked the best of the five. (An Alpine White, and love it.)

I was in there the other day, and they still had one (an Alpine White) left. Same price.

IMG_1228%20copy_zpsdelpgjfz.jpg

IMG_1226%20copy_zpsafipab8z.jpg

IMG_1230%20copy_zps5hbzzgnk.jpg

2013 is only three years old.

That's not "NOS", that's called INVENTORY.

Exactly. I'd hazard a guess that most shops aren't sitting on too many 2013 models (with the exception of some of the big retailers), but by no means is 2013 NOS. I've found a local(ish) shop that consistently has new in box Gibsons from 2007 (and an unbelievable selection at that). I'm not sure when you'd start calling a guitar NOS, but 2 or 3 years certainly isn't it.

Yep, I've seen lots of never sold 2013 Les Pauls and other models at Guitar Center stores across the country. I picked up my 2013 LP Traditional Pro II locally to me in Detroit back in January. More recently, I was in Southern California a month ago and they had several 2013's on the wall at one location (I think it was Vista, Ca.) There were even 3 2013's in Vintage Burst like mine to choose from, and all were great quality and in perfect shape with nice flame tops on them.

If you have a good sales person or perhaps are good at tracking someone down at corporate you might be able to have someone track one down. They're probably out there.

I just got a 2013 LP Signature T brand new with all the case candy in the box. The deals are out there, I got mine for $1300.00. Gold series no electronic box, basicly a LP Standard with locking tuners, coil splits, and a granadillo fretboard.

Exactly. I'd hazard a guess that most shops aren't sitting on too many 2013 models (with the exception of some of the big retailers), but by no means is 2013 NOS. I've found a local(ish) shop that consistently has new in box Gibsons from 2007 (and an unbelievable selection at that). I'm not sure when you'd start calling a guitar NOS, but 2 or 3 years certainly isn't it.

You've got a point with the "NOS" designation with 2013's - I have to agree.

Archived