Gibson Brands Forums

Selling your gear

thejay

First and foremost...Good morning!

I don't do this much (complain) but I have had it with selling stuff online, it is getting quite annoying out there lately.

eBay - great, in the beginning... the fees have taken over and is no longer remotely worth dealing with it anymore, in my opinion.

Reverb - great, it is also the beginning... the fees much less and other payment options that don't cost the seller more money, great! HOWEVER, make an offer! Here is my issue... Items are already priced a bit lower due to less fees (in some cases) some of the offers you receive are just insane or you figure I should be a little high b/c I will accept an offer and give someone a deal. BUT, here it comes... Incase you don't experience this pain I will rehash briefly... for example - amazing pedal for sale that normally costs $200. Here it is in mint condition, with box, blah blah, $140. Totally reasonable.

buyer - "hey man will you take 100?"

seller - "thanks for the offer, I will pass. I will meet you half way at 120"

buyer - "hey man, will you take 80?"

seller - "hello again, if I wouldn't accept 100, why would you offer 80? I will tell you what, for you, 140 shipped"

This is how it usually goes down for me now [biggrin] fire back, getting really POd with thinking online selling is a like a yard sale where everything is marked $5 and you think 'why not I will offer $2, I don't need it anyway'

OK... I am done now.

Anyone else have these woes?

I've been on ebay for 16-1/2 years and like you said, it was fun at the beginning but not anymore. It used to be like the wild west on there but I always maintained that most sellers were honest people. And buyers knew they were taking their chances. Nowadays ebay wants the seller to give a 100% happy face guarantee on everything they sell...and I won't bother with the details...it's just bad. Ebay has us where they want us, with no real competition. Not to mention the fact that when I started, fees were 5% of the first $25, 2.5% of the portion between $25 and $1000, and 1.5% beyond that. So if I sold a $1500 guitar, it cost me about $33. Now it's what... 10%? 13%? They have it tiered, rewarded for good behavior, different rates for different categories, and sometimes their fees are 'on sale'. It's more like doing your taxes. And they charge final vaalue fees on shipping. So if I charge $40 to ship a guitar, ebay takes $4.00 off the top. Fair? Nope. That's ebay. Ebay...even just saying the name makes me want to go brush my teeth. Yes, I've made several hundred thousand dollars on there but it's gotten to the point where (on smaller stuff) I need to double my money to break even. The one and only advantage I see to ebay is the global exposure. That and the adrenaline rush in the last few seconds of an auction.

When I started selling on ebay, about 80% of my sales were used motorcycle parts. I would buy an old Honda and strip it over the next week, anything sellable and shippable would be on ebay. On rare occasions I would sell a complete engine or even a frame but that only happened 2 or 3 times out of 300+ motorcycles junked. Most of the time it was electrical components, speedometers, stuff that would break if the bike fell over and was expensive to replace. When I started, there were many online used parts places but they wouldn't be bothered with ebay... they wanted to have a used part on the shelf and sell it for 50-75% of new retail. They were in the catbird seat. Along comes people like me who take a $50 Honda, put 30 or 40 parts on ebay with opening bids of $5 or $10 and inside of two weeks I may have $200 in my hand or $800, $1000 depending on the bike. I sold all my stuff (ultimately) for half what the online junkyards wanted and I still killed. Now there's a lot more competition. Recently I bought a half a pickup load of bike parts and tried selling them. Nope. Sold not one part. Supply and demand.

When I started, I was asked what I would do if the wheels fell off the ebay bus. I said I'd step off. And I did. At least the bike stuff. I started off pickup up and disposing of bikes with an '82 Ford pickup. And it's still right there on the lawn. No fancy truck with a Tommy Lift or pinstriping. And I used crappy old hand tools to strip and scrubbed the parts in the kitchen sink. When the bloom fell off the ebay/bike rose around 2004 I just walked away.

Reverb... I became a member when there was about 300 guitars total on there. I've bought one guitar I think, straightforward deal, he wanted $1200 and I offered him $1100 with free shipping. We settled on $1100 and shared shipping. I'm not a lowballer. Lowballing takes no talent or finesse, just a brazen attitude. The facebook selling groups are no different; I was trying to sell a used home gym for $150 and I got more than one $50 offer. Really?

I've tried to sell a few guitars on reverb but no luck. I say "no luck" in the sense that I'm accustomed to selling something on ebay in 7 days and I've seen guitars sit on reverb for 6 months. I don't think I could do that; my head would explode.

Yeah, I get tired of the Fender MIM Strat brand new condition I have for sale for $250 with a case and someone offers $100. In person, these things don't happen. It seems like many people are profiteers as opposed to collectors or players.

People act differently on the internet than they ever would in person, whether it's fighting on a forum, being a disgruntled customer or reviewer to being a jackass on craigslist. The internet makes us grow a pair that we ought not grow.

I sell a lot of vintage and antique items on ebay or Craigslist. Many times when someone messages me with some low ball offer, I just ignore the message. There is no need to reply if you don't want to. I figure, from their perspective, there is no harm in asking if you will accept less.

Now if I'm looking to buy, I don't play those games. If I see something I like, but the price is too high for me, I just move on. I don't message the seller with my offer. When I find something in my price range that I like, I buy it.

People act differently on the internet than they ever would in person, whether it's fighting on a forum, being a disgruntled customer or reviewer to being a jackass on craigslist.

True dat.........

......I just ignore the message. There is no need to reply if you don't want to. I figure, from their perspective, there is no harm in asking if you will accept less.

Now if I'm looking to buy, I don't play those games. If I see something I like, but the price is too high for me, I just move on.....

Yup. I just got one saying he didn't bid coz the postage I quoted was too high and here's his offer with the postage, which should be....

In the UK eBay is still viable for most 'stuff' if it's a U.K. only auction. I hope I'm not speaking too soon as I sold 2 items last week which are still in transit to the purchasers.

Ebay (UK) has a good postage discount scheme and the prices per kg have come down a bit recently, but posting anything abroad from the UK now is ridiculously expensive.

First and foremost...Good morning!

I don't do this much (complain) but I have had it with selling stuff online, it is getting quite annoying out there lately.

eBay - great, in the beginning... the fees have taken over and is no longer remotely worth dealing with it anymore, in my opinion.

Reverb - great, it is also the beginning... the fees much less and other payment options that don't cost the seller more money, great! HOWEVER, make an offer! Here is my issue... Items are already priced a bit lower due to less fees (in some cases) some of the offers you receive are just insane or you figure I should be a little high b/c I will accept an offer and give someone a deal. BUT, here it comes... Incase you don't experience this pain I will rehash briefly... for example - amazing pedal for sale that normally costs $200. Here it is in mint condition, with box, blah blah, $140. Totally reasonable.

buyer - "hey man will you take 100?"

seller - "thanks for the offer, I will pass. I will meet you half way at 120"

buyer - "hey man, will you take 80?"

seller - "hello again, if I wouldn't accept 100, why would you offer 80? I will tell you what, for you, 140 shipped"

This is how it usually goes down for me now [biggrin] fire back, getting really POd with thinking online selling is a like a yard sale where everything is marked $5 and you think 'why not I will offer $2, I don't need it anyway' Its people man. They are all dirt bags.

OK... I am done now.

Anyone else have these woes?

Yes, Yes and Hell yes. I hate selling stuff on Ebay and Reverb. I have ranted on here before about this. Ebay 10% fee's , Rape, plus 3% paypal. So your 13% out before you start. And the general scum out there like you described, Everyone wants something for nothing. I think there are so many flippers out there, who want to make a quick buck. I had a new mint $4000 Quilt burst Hummingbird on there, I had guitar shops offering $1000.00 I would counter and say no, $2800 is as low as I would go. then you get, would you take $1100.00. You refuse. Then you get How about $2000.00. I have three vintage epiphones I want to sell to buy a J 200 but I would rather eat glass than list them online. But what are ya gonna do? Go to a pawn shop or a vintage guitar show and go throught the same crap. Ugh. I feel your pain dude.

Trade. It's what we've always done. Nobody was making 401(k) money on guitars back then, they aren't now. If you don't want or need the guitar it doesn't hurt, if you do want or need the guitar, don't. I'll trade 4 guitars out for one in the coming months because I know that trying to sell them is just a waste of my time and effort, I'll let the store do it, same as it ever was.

rct

Trade. It's what we've always done. Nobody was making 401(k) money on guitars back then, they aren't now. If you don't want or need the guitar it doesn't hurt, if you do want or need the guitar, don't. I'll trade 4 guitars out for one in the coming months because I know that trying to sell them is just a waste of my time and effort, I'll let the store do it, same as it ever was.

rct

I tend to agree with this.

The reason stores can sell for more money is they have more to offer than a private seller...and they get paid to deal with the crap.

And yes, salesmen often have to deal with the very same thing.

I haven't sold anything on ebay in many years. Their fees are outrageous and I refuse to give them that much of a cut. I have however continued to buy some things on ebay as there are still deals to be found. I only wish that you could have the opportunity to sort by sellers who have 98 -100% positive feedback, It's amazing to me that there are sellers on there that have like 195 negative reviews in one month "ONE MONTH", and they're still allowed to sell on ebay? So with that factoid alone - I lost respect for ebay as a whole. When I want to buy an item, I will, and I have paid a higher price for an item just to deal with a more responsible seller. I've been an ebay member for 14 years.

Haven't sold anything on Reverb or listed anything for sale there yet - but have bought about 8 or 9 items off that site since I joined earlier this year. I have made reasonable offers on every item I've purchased and all but one seller met me half way or out right accepted my offer - only one seller didn't respond at all.

I have sold a dozen or so items off my local craigslist this year which does tend to bring out the real morons - the two main problems I seem to encounter are 1)ridiculous offers i.e. item is $700 - they offer $100. I don't bother to respond. 2)they offer a pile of pure crap for a high line piece of gear. Again, I don't bother to respond - especially when my ad states clearly in capital letters NO TRADES!. Sighhhhh. When you have to deal with the general public you're always going to have encounters with these kinds of nuts. But I have been very fortunate more often that not to have met some great people as well. Some of whom I still email with months after the sale. Thank goodness not everyone is insane. LOL :)

I haven't sold anything on ebay in many years. Their fees are outrageous and I refuse to give them that much of a cut. I have however continued to buy some things on ebay as there are still deals to be found. I only wish that you could have the opportunity to sort by sellers who have 98 -100% positive feedback, It's amazing to me that there are sellers on there that have like 195 negative reviews in one month "ONE MONTH", and they're still allowed to sell on ebay? So with that factoid alone - I lost respect for ebay as a whole. When I want to buy an item, I will, and I have paid a higher price for an item just to deal with a more responsible seller. I've been an ebay member for 14 years.

Haven't sold anything on Reverb or listed anything for sale there yet - but have bought about 8 or 9 items off that site since I joined earlier this year. I have made reasonable offers on every item I've purchased and all but one seller met me half way or out right accepted my offer - only one seller didn't respond at all.

I have sold a dozen or so items off my local craigslist this year which does tend to bring out the real morons - the two main problems I seem to encounter are 1)ridiculous offers i.e. item is $700 - they offer $100. I don't bother to respond. 2)they offer a pile of pure crap for a high line piece of gear. Again, I don't bother to respond - especially when my ad states clearly in capital letters NO TRADES!. Sighhhhh. When you have to deal with the general public you're always going to have encounters with these kinds of nuts. But I have been very fortunate more often that not to have met some great people as well. Some of whom I still email with months after the sale. Thank goodness not everyone is insane. LOL :)

A number of the sellers on craigslist are bad as well. For example there was a guy on craigslist selling a 2700 dollar git for 2400, and it had a 4 inch crack along the neck and was used! Another guy sells one with a 6 inch crack, different pickups, and chunk of wood missing out the side and calls it a 9/10 lol. Then you got your no shows, hagglers who want to keep haggling every penny down even when you offer a good price. I mean if im selling a 1400 dollar git 700, you're already getting a great deal, its usually just some dipstick dealer who wont admit he is one. Then, the next day i see my guitar for sale for 900 that i just sold 600 because i let his sob story about the car breakin down and sick child or something sway me. That crap just burns me up.

CL always yields the most interesting results as far as gear. I just price high now so I can come down and meet someone in the middle on certain items. I have met some really cool people buying/trading gear. Less likely to trade but I have down a fair amount of that so I do not have to sell something

I had tried to sell my old practice guitar on ebay and listed as collection only. This was a Washburn G5V, which plays beautifully but I never plugged it in. This saved wear on my gigging guitar.

I listed it as collection only and a couple of people asked me to agree to send. One fellow said he was into Washburns and would make me a reasonable offer if I did this. So I did it, but the offer he made was derisory.

Fearing the same would happen with the Jackson Elite, I took it to my luthier and asked him to change out the nasty active Seymour Duncan pups and put some vintage single coils in and replace the Floyd Rose with a fixed bridge. This bothered him. He reminded me that it would be an irreversible mod (meaning the guitar would get chopped about) and persuaded me to list it on Gumtree.

I did, and got a couple of bites. In a couple of days I got my asking price of £800. I had paid £1000 three years previous. So the buyer & I were happy and the guitar was spared major surgery.

I put another couple of guitars on Gumtree including the Washburn. I asked £80 for it again. No-one responded.

So as no-one was interested I decided I had the right to disrespect the Washburn and make a project of it myself. I have altered the body shape and stripped out all the electrics, pups & switches. I have ordered some fender style pickups + circuitry and will set about making some kind of malformed monster from it over the xmas period.

Gumtree isnt really that much better than the other marts mentioned here. I listed a Dillion Dagger Bass with full specs and about 8 or 9 high quality pics. One person kept asking me all sorts of inane questions (will it sound good through a Trace Elliot, if its any good why am I selling it) then wanted further pictures to demonstrate the ‘action’. I fired a couple of phone pix back to him & never heard another word from him.

I couldnt work in retail and deal with the public every day.

I actually sold my Takamine G330G on Amazon and fairly quickly. The person who bought it emailed me only once just to ask for photos of the neck, so I provided photos of the neck all the way down to where it joins to the body and provided closeups of that joint to show that there were no defects. I received an email from Amazon 10 minutes later stating that she bought the guitar. I already had it marked down by $100 from what I paid for it because I looked around on Ebay, CL and even Amazon to see the going rate and knew I was offering it at a good price.

I used to work in a music store (as the Sheet Music Clerk), but I was always the first one at work and would hang out with the manager of the guitar department, so I had a little bit of an idea what I needed to say to sell my guitar. I didn't do any big song and dance, just stated the facts about the guitar and what was included in the sale.

Seeing as how I only had the Takamine and my LPS - and sold the Takamine - I only have the LPS and he isn't going anywhere until I kick! The only thing I think I *SHOULD* do is get the LPS appraised so if I go before my husband, he knows how much to sell it for (we had a little "incident" with him selling a Fender MIA Strat that I bought for him at a disgustingly low price at some cheesy so-called music store that took him for a ride! I didn't know whether to kill him first or the guy who screwed him over. [cursing] Still makes my blood boil to this day!)

I couldnt work in retail and deal with the public every day.

I feel your pain. Spent the early part of my career working in stores. Couldn't take it anymore and if I didn't get into some kind of staff position (which I did) I knew my retail career was short lived. Typical example:

Late on a Friday night, PO'd customer is demanding answers that I can't give him until I can talk to a mfgr on Monday AM.

His comment; "I'll have your job!"

My response: "You wouldn't want it."

His comment; "Why?"

My response: "You have to deal with people like you!"

Fortunately, he immediately calmed down (as my "career" flashed before my eyes), and said "You'll call me Monday?"

"As soon as I can talk to the mfgr, you're my next call". Whew!

Archived