Gibson Brands Forums

john pearse acoustic strings

Richie321

I have some John Pearse PB lights on my J-15. I'm not good at describing why I like their sound, I just do. I've used both the 80 20s and the PBs, both lights.

I had on some Masterbuilts before. I think the JP are warmer (even the 80 20) but they still have a nice bright shimmer too. I also tried DR rares, and for whatever reason, the JP gave me a more thumpy bass, that was missing from the DR. This is just my experience.

They go for like eight bucks on Amazon.

A set of Pearse PB installed 10 days ago has settled in and sounding good now. Went from Elixir nano PB mediums to JP lights hoping that going from a coated to an uncoated string might get some more low end clarity. Possibly some improvement there. Good that the Pearse strings are shipped in sealed plastic, as opposed to the more expensive Elixirs, which could be fakes when purchased from online sellers. I would buy John Pearse strings again, but up next are some DR Rares, then Thomastik-Infelds, and then Pyramid Western Folks...

Just took a set of Mediums off the J-50. They have decent sound, but to me the texture of the strings is a tad on the rough side for my left hand death-grip like style. I've tried to like them, but always come to the same realization.

I've tried the John Pearse phosphor bronze light gauges and the nickels in medium and in light gauge. The PB's are good strings but not so much better than D'Addario's version to get me to hang with them (Pearse's are more expensive to boot). And what duluthdan relates about the roughness is true now that I think about it. I really liked the nickels after their break in period but grew tired of them kind of quickly. They were just missing an element of pizazz that made me move back to PB's. I tell you what though, these new D'Addario N6 test strings I have on my J-50 have all of the elements of a great sound and if they last as long as monel (a nickel/copper blend out of the mine in Sudbury I believe) reputedly does (they seem to be some alloy of monel and phosphor bronze) they are going to end up on a lot of my guitars. But ultimately, to the OP, you gotta find what works and sounds best to you on each of your guitars. It's one of the funner aspects of playing. Enjoy the journey.

I tell you what though, these new D'Addario N6 test strings I have on my J-50 have all of the elements of a great sound and if they last as long as monel (a nickel/copper blend out of the mine in Sudbury I believe) reputedly does (they seem to be some alloy of monel and phosphor bronze) they are going to end up on a lot of my guitars.

Where can I get some to try??

Archived