Gibson Brands Forums

Help to ID This Guitar

Hi guys,

Its been a while since I posted here but I have a client that is looking to buy a guitar and he sent me this picture and I just can't seem to ID it.

I am not sure if it is something that was pieced together or an actual Gibson. It seems to have components of a few different guitars like the tail piece of a ES 350 and the headstock logo of a l5. I do see however it has the pup switch on the top which does not seem to fit anything I can find. The headstock also seems a bit odd in that the "flower pot" flourish seems to be oversized as well as the space between the tuner pegs and the edge of the headstock. So this one has me questioning what it actually is. My client stated that the owner claimed it was an ES 175 but I have never seen one with a Venetian cutaway or some of the other oddities of this one.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks

Bob

post-54319-047719400 1446487371_thumb.jpg

I've never seen a Gibson with that combination of features. It almost looks like spare parts thrown together. It's possible that it's a modified ES 350 with ES 5 fretboard inlays, I suppose, as well as some other quirks, like the oversize headstock inlay. The flowerpot isn't close to being right compared to anything else I've seen.

It doesn't look anything like any ES 175 I've ever seen, either, starting with the cutaway shape.

More pictures might be helpful.

Thanks Nick, I know you and a few others here have a wealth of knowledge of all things Gibson.

I am trying to get more detailed pictures and any markings it may have on it but this picture is all I have to go on at this point. I am hoping ID it so my client has an idea what he will be seeing when he goes to check it out. It is a friend of his that owns the guitar so he isn't buying it from a complete stranger.

Thanks for the help,

Bob

This one has me a bit concerned. I'd like to see a better shot of the headstock. The headstock items you mention are concerns for me too. The tuner placement seems off from what's typical of Gibson, and both the headstock inlays look off.

I'm thinking KSdaddy is probably right.

There is NOTHING Gibson-like about this guitar, nor was it built with Gibson parts. EVERYTHING is all wrong.

It's not even a GOOD copy of anything Gibson ever made like the 70's Ibanez "lawsuit" guitars.

Sorry, no Gibson here!

There is NOTHING Gibson-like about this guitar, nor was it built with Gibson parts. EVERYTHING is all wrong.

It's not even a GOOD copy of anything Gibson ever made like the 70's Ibanez "lawsuit" guitars.

Sorry, no Gibson here!

I agree.

I don't see any Gibson parts on it either. And by parts I don't mean hardware, I mean the wooded stuff you attach the hardware to.

... by parts I don't mean hardware, I mean the wooded stuff you attach the hardware to.

I even meant the hardware too. I wanted to say that it might have a real 175/L-7 tailpiece, but the raised diamonds aren't even right.

Thanks guys, I think you confirmed my suspicions. I had already told him I was leery about it being a real Gibson but thought I would post the picture here to see what you thought. Even with the small grainy picture I knew there was enough detail that someone could say at least what it is. I have an idea that this may be something someone pieced together because they wanted a Gibson and it didn't play like one so it has been robbed of parts deteriorated to the condition it is in now.

I appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Bob