Gibson Brands Forums

Rain, Hail Or Shine?

Digger

It's sometimes interesting to see what weather you are all experiencing around the world so perhaps you might like to tell us about what's happening where you are?

We are in the second month of spring here in Australia and where I am that means a lot of variability!

Right now and for the last few days we have been experiencing thunderstorms, heavy rain grading back to continuous drizzle. The last few days temps here have been 18 to 19 degrees c ((66 to 68 f) but a couple of weeks ago we had 38 c which is approx 106 f. So you can see what I say about variability.

By the end of November it will start heating up a bit and temps into the 30's will become commonplace. We are told that this year we will be involved in a heavy El Nino pattern and we have a deep drought and bushfires will be a real problem. Unfortunately where I live in the SE of Oz we are very much at risk of fires. However it won't be the first time! Our hottest month is February where we have had 45 c (120 f) and that is getting a tad too warm!

So if you's care to share conditions where you are (pics welcome) or talk about wether events, perhaps you'd like to do it here.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

El Nino is supposed to bring rain to California this Winter (which, is your summer). We are in the 4th year of a drought. The overall trend is negative e.g. if you do a regression, the slope is negative. This was based on analysis I did for data from 1991 to 2014 for the Santa Monica mountains. Your area may vary...hopefully.

Here's the chart with the rain (amount) in inches. I cannot vouch for it's accuracy, but the data was obtained from the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area Interagency Visitor Center.

Year Amount

1991 16

1992 29

1993 31

1994 10

1995 34

1996 22

1997 15

1998 38

1999 8

2000 16

2001 26

2002 9

2003 16

2004 22

2005 33

2006 14

2007 7

2008 17

2009 12

2010 28

2011 11

2012 8

2013 4

2014 6

It's the beginning of the dry season here in South Florida.

Today it will be sunny, with a high in the mid 80s, low in the low 70s.

They are predicting a wetter than normal dry season due to El Nino.

As long as we don't have many cold days (for Florida), I'm OK with the weather.

Notes

Rain and 37F in northern Maine today.

Funny, if I'm outside in this dismal gray dead landscape I have thoughts of stepping in front of a bus but when I'm inside my warm kitchen looking out at it, it's one of my favorite times of the year. I'm sure some psychoanalyst could have a party with it.

Here in the central parts of New England (I'm in Central Mass) we couldn't really be asking for better weather.

Cold at sunrise (today it was around 36) but the highs are reaching the upper 60s and lower 70s for much of the last two weeks.

The foliage season in most parts around here has past peak but it's still quite vibrant. I love Autumn.

Anyway, we'll ride this as long as we can, winter and all it's misery will be showing up soon.

Right now, about 58 degrees F. and mostly cloudy. Had some heavy fog this morning. But what they say in St. Louis, if you don't like the weather, stick around for a few hours. [biggrin]

Ha! They say that about Melbourne too!

Still cool here with a forecast of 23 c or 76 f and another front moving through tomorrow. The garden and in fact everything has gone berserk with earlier rain and intermittent warm days!

I spent the day yesterday cutting out unwanted wattles some of which were 10 feet long. Life currently is a constant round of mowing, slashing and poisoning weeds. That will stop around January when the heat slows things down a bit.

It's now November and we still haven't had a cool front in North Florida. Normally I'd be grabbing a jacket or sweater at least once in a while by now. Admittedly a pattern of 72˚ in the morning and 82˚ in the afternoon is certainly nothing to complain about, but I'd like a little fall at some point! :rolleyes:

In flight from visiting my wife in Missouri. Varied between cool and crisp in the 40s to beautiful 20C/70F today. Supposedly raining in LA and hopefully so. Just started descent over the desert. So far partly cloudy with a chance.

Currently in Southern Minnesota and Northern Iowa it is:

Overcast and Breezy

48°F

9°C

Humidity 58%

Wind Speed W 21 mph

Barometer 30.07 in

Dewpoint 34°F (1°C)

Visibility 10.00 mi

Wind Chill 41°F (5°C)

Sounds a trifle chilly there Doug.

Archived