Gibson Brands Forums

Rain, Hail Or Shine?

Digger

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting near the shortest day in the Northern Hemisphere, I am in UK and sunset now before 4pm.

Very dark and wet this morning, rain stopped this afternoon and then finally an hour of clear - not a cloud in the sky.

Quite mild still at 12c but cold breeze. My garden is turning into a swamp.

However the worst of it hit up North - very bad floods.

Digger, You far enough south to enjoy light all the time? I have dreamed of living in Alaska during our summer and living down under during your summer. I can get same temps year round in other places but I like the sunshine! The more sun and less darkness the year round the better!

Buffalo broke a 116 year old snowfall record this year. But not for what you think. We have yet to receive any snow for the season! Nothing in the near future either. Contrary to what people think we actually don't get that much snow (Rochester and Syracuse get more on average). But this year so far nada.

I should say light most of the day during your summer and not all the time. Sorry.

I tried to reply to this the other day so here goes, again!

It depends n where you live as this is a country as big as the lower 48.

Down in the south east where I am its getting light soon after 5 am and remains light until between 8 & 8.30 pm right now. that will stretch out by half anhour around Christmas.

Winter here say in July sees the sun rises at afrer 7 and sets about 7 to 7.30 pm.

Temperatures here in winter are mild by comparison to most in the Northern Hemisphere.

Rain.

Portland Oregon, United States of America, Pacific Northwest.

Rain. Lots of rain.

Even here where it rains all the time, the place is a big puddle. Got some landslides messing up my commute. (Everyone's, of corse).

More rain tomorrow, and the next day...

Seriously, it's been really, really wet. I don't know how many inches, but it's something like 2-3 at a time.

Down in the south east where I am its getting light soon after 5 am and remains light until between 8 & 8.30 pm right now. that will stretch out by half anhour around Christmas.

Winter here say in July sees the sun rises at afrer 7 and sets about 7 to 7.30 pm.

Temperatures here in winter are mild by comparison to most in the Northern Hemisphere.

Sounds great. I'm sitting here in my office and looking out the window at 3:30 and it's dark. Didn't get light til about 9:30 to 10 as well. Plus it's only -15F which sounds terrible but it could be -50F or colder. By mid Feb I wonder why in the world do I torture myself and live here then summer comes along and it's in the mid 70's and people are out playing golf at 11:30 PM. Couldn't think of a better place to be.... Until Nov msp_confused.gif

1449880499[/url]' post='1720199']

Sounds great. I'm sitting here in my office and looking out the window at 3:30 and it's dark. Didn't get light til about 9:30 to 10 as well. Plus it's only -15F which sounds terrible but it could be -50F or colder. By mid Feb I wonder why in the world do I torture myself and live here then summer comes along and it's in the mid 70's and people are out playing golf at 11:30 PM. Couldn't think of a better place to be.... Until Nov msp_confused.gif

I was wondering where in the world do you live? Only 70's in the summer? Sounds like my kind of place, then I looked up your profile...Alaska! Decades ago we took a cruise ship there. What a beautiful place to live. Don't know if I could handle 6 months living in the dark though. But the Northern lights I imagine are gorgeous.

1449801156[/url]' post='1719926']

Winter in July. Contrary to what John Lennon sang, "That's hard to imagine!" Lol. Our July is in the summer and can bring 100 degree or over days with sweat drinching humidity and not a pleasure to be out. But it can bring 80 to 90's as well with a few breezes if your lucky.

Today here in paradise its gonna be 22 C and slight winds.

I say paradise because where we are is situated on pristine lakes and rugged coatline that is the best we have to offer, and most would accept that Oz has pretty good beaches! Unfortunately we are going home today.....Sigh~

1449882302[/url]' post='1720209']

I was wondering where in the world do you live? Only 70's in the summer? Sounds like my kind of place, then I looked up your profile...Alaska! Decades ago we took a cruise ship there. What a beautiful place to live. Don't know if I could handle 6 months living in the dark though. But the Northern lights I imagine are gorgeous.

One of the hundreds of northern lights pics I took last year. Last night we had a great display but I didn't get out to take pictures. They never stop amazing me!

image_zpshwhulb2o.jpeg

Is it coming this way M.? It's rained all night and today so far. Couldn't get the fair weather dog to go out in it. Just stands there under the soffet. So had to put a doggy raincoat on him with a hood and hold an umbrella over him to go potty. Still wouldn't go so had to use my old dog show trick on him and he went.

MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY

A STORM SYSTEM IS EXPECTED TO CROSS THE SOUTHERN ROCKIES INTO THE

CENTRAL PLAINS MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY NIGHT. THIS SYSTEM IS

EXPECTED TO BRING SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS TO THE

REGION...WITH 6 OR MORE INCHES POSSIBLE ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREA.

ADDITIONALLY...BREEZY WINDS WILL CREATE BLOWING SNOW AND REDUCED

VISIBILITIES. THERE IS STILL UNCERTAINTY WITH EXACT SNOW AMOUNTS

AND THE LOCATION OF THE HIGHER AMOUNTS.

THE SNOW WILL DIMINISH ACROSS

NORTHEAST WYOMING TUESDAY EVENING... Functionally that's me.

You figure it... It'll be pretty much past us by Thursday. Then we'll warm up for next weekend.

I don't think driving in our area is a good idea starting now... This morning's frost made roads a bit slippery, but if there's 30 mph plus wind and that much snow, it could be un-fun driving. Here on the prairie six inches of snow can mean six feet of drifts, depending.

m

Archived