Gibson Brands Forums

info on my sg

mia

Hi there,

a newbee to this site...I was wonderfing if you would be able to shed some light on my guitar....I have an SG custom, 74 mint condition...any ideas of the going price for this....I am the original owner.

Depends on which color it is, which hardware/tailpiece configuration it has, what your definition of "mint" is, and of course people would need to see photos to give you any real clue. Don't expect some astronomical figure like the 60's models are going for though; a lot of Norlin-era owners come forth thinking that a "Gibson is a Gibson" (which is simply, and horridly, wrong), and unfortunately that era of SG on aren't as desirable from a "collector" standpoint. As PLAYERS are concerned, they would fetch a fairly decent price (within reason). Hard to say without more info though.

H-Bomb

Since it's a Custom (which, along with the Standard, is one of the more desirable models), and a factory stoptail model it would most likely be able to bring in easily up to $3000 (maybe even 4K...I've seen some for "sale" for twice that, but they remain "on sale" instead of "sold") from the right person, $2000 from the average buyer, if it is indeed "mint". If it were a rare color you could add a thousand bucks, but Walnut was the most common color for the Custom in that period (even white ones are hard to find by comparison). They're definitely solid, good playing guitars. Not as "sexy" as the 60's models, and some of the 70's models' pickups didn't have quite the bark-n-bite of the older ones, but I had a '77 Custom once (white faded to almost TV yellow hue) which was a great playing guitar and with some PAF reissue pickups it was a tone-beast for live performances.

H-Bomb

• 4 years later...

Archived