Gibson Brands Forums

Full gibson line to be released Tomorrow?

scottpaine_69

Oh, I'm sure they're great guitars, and sound and play just fine! As most of you know,

I just have a "thing" about the early '60's beveling and horn tapering! Those were the

SG's I learned on, and owned, back in the day. So, they're the spec's I still prefer.

Some don't give a damn, one way or another. But, "I" do! [biggrin] LOL!!!

I'm just Really Glad, I managed to get the one's I have, when I did! They're all super SG versions,

and, with the "right" spec's, too! [flapper][biggrin]

CB

We need your expert opinion though.. Did you check the HP bevels against the Traditional line ones? Are they different? I think the HP ones look a bit deeper?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need your expert opinion though.. Did you check the HP bevels against the Traditional line ones? Are they different? I think the HP ones look a bit deeper?

GOOD eye, Rabs! [thumbup] They DO have wider and deeper beveling, and those lovely horn tapers, too! Excellent! I stand

corrected, at least on the HP versions! COOL!!

BUT..WHY would they NOT do that, on the Traditional versions??! [confused][cursing] Heavy Sigh!! [unsure][tongue]

I guess I'll have to get a HP SG P90 Standard, and just "mod it," back to more traditional spec's on the tuners, anyway.

CB

Are folks cheering the return of the traditional line up, or that Gibson has kept the 2015 line and renamed it 2016 HP? I'd be in the former camp if I were in the market for a new guitar, but I'm not. Though I do think it's great that Gibson is producing capable instruments at a good price point. That's worth kudos.

And they've done a bit more than that, haven't they? They've embellished the HP line just subtly. Better case, MoP inlay, finer woods, and more... though at the cost of a wider neck, a zero fret nut, and everyone's favorite tuners. I wonder if the premium materials will be enough to sell the "high performance" options. To me it smacks of stubborn leadership set on a particular idea, and that was painful in 2015, a little better in 2016, but I fear where that'll go in years to come.

Interesting to me is the DIP switch bit and the way they're describing pickups. Subtly different. It is pretty reminiscent of Fender's new strat system with swappable memory cards. Fender's looks more user-friendly, but honestly, I don't want to have an operating system in my guitar. Maybe I'm alone in that sentiment. Gibson's approach makes more sense to me, as it's more mechanical and has a more tangible feel, though I do think it'll appeal more to someone who isn't afraid of selecting one of 150 DIP switch options. It's a curious choice though, and one, to me, that is a clear indicator that Gibson is committed to turning their guitars into digital devices. I'll hold off for the touchscreen interface and bluetooth LE.

Are folks cheering the return of the traditional line up, or that Gibson has kept the 2015 line and renamed it 2016 HP? I'd be in the former camp if I were in the market for a new guitar, but I'm not. Though I do think it's great that Gibson is producing capable instruments at a good price point. That's worth kudos.

Hello!

I am on the traditionalist side too, however I am happy to see Gibson did not gave up the innovations. I think, I understand Gibson's dilemma. The instruments they make are very old fashioned ones. They have to think about future customers too. If they gave up on the traditional arched top/set neck design, it would kill the essence of these instruments, that makes them standing out of the crowd of makers of superstrats, über-Vs, Explorer-mutants. They have to update the guitars, while preserving the recognizable Gibson styling. Hard job to do. That's what they tried to do with the 2015 gadgets.

I will remain a customer of their traditional instruments. But, I also have to say, thanks to the Axxess-like heel on the HP Les Pauls, these guitars became more attractive to me, than they were last year.

Cheers... Bence

Some people who get in the mud try to drive through it and get stuck. Some people tend to back out before they get stuck. Some people floor it and fishtail around and their friends push them out. Somewhere in there is what happened here.

Good analogy from my southern brother from another mother [thumbup]

It would be interesting to see the sales figures of the T's vs HP's at the end of 2016. My prediction is the T's will totally outsell the HP's. It's good Gibson have divided the lines, but the thing about all the 2015 'innovations' is that they are totally unnecessary. It's gizmos for the sake of it IMO. I can see some benefits to being able to tune to alternate tunings quickly, but other than that seems rather pointless. Guitars have been around for centuries, as we all know, so why do we need this stuff now anymore than we would have needed it 100 years ago? Segovia never need GForce and he was a rather good player without it lol! I guess it's good they haven't abandoned the 'tech' guitars though, as I guess some players love them and it would seem wasted ideas if they stopped them all together.

Anyway, in an earlier post I mentioned I'd picked up one of the new SG Special T's, so here it is in all its glory... and no awful tuning gizmos in sight! Not the best pic I'm afraid...I just shot a few quick ones earlier. Bevels and tapers deep and wide enough for my liking.

IMG_1457_zps8p0ssiow.jpg

GOOD eye, Rabs! [thumbup] They DO have wider and deeper beveling, and those lovely horn tapers, too! Excellent! I stand

corrected, at least on the HP versions! COOL!!

BUT..WHY would they NOT do that, on the Traditional versions??! [confused][cursing] Heavy Sigh!! [unsure][tongue]

I guess I'll have to get a HP SG P90 Standard, and just "mod it," back to more traditional spec's on the tuners, anyway.

CB

Yeah that's not the most difficult mod to make... and you get a nice new properly bevelled guitar :D

And to be honest (and I have to be) Sellen on the top of the page was the one who noticed the HP bevels... So he has the good eyes...:)

But yes, its really odd that they put them on one line and not another... I mean if they think that's an extra reason to buy an SG surely they will sell a whole load more if they did it across the range.. IS it really worth the extra few hundred for horn bevelling (which is done by machine anyway?) and I guess the auto tuners if you are into that.

As to SG beveling? My only real complaint, with the 2016 offerings, is that they retained the nicer beveling/horn tapering

on the HP models, but NOT on the Traditional models, where, one would think, it belongs...being "traditional!" [tongue][rolleyes]

And, WHY would Gibson have 2 different body beveling styles..that's just more (unneeded..IMHO) extra work, for the factory,

compared to having the same body spec's throughout the 2 lines?! While some may not care, one way or the other, about the

"beveling," I never heard anyone complain about the nicer wider and deeper versions, in 2012-2014! Most, seemed to really

like it! And, the fact that Gibson DID retain the wider/deeper and horn tapers on the "advanced" HP line, must be some

indication that even they think it's the nicer spec. ???

But, at least you CAN get one version, or the other, I guess...for those who might prefer the lesser bevels, and no horn tapers!

Just seems like they made a lot of extra work, for themselves, in the process.

"Whatever!" [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Guest Farnsbarns

As to SG beveling? My only real complaint, with the 2016 offerings, is that they retained the nicer beveling/horn tapering

on the HP models, but NOT on the Traditional models, where one would think, it belongs...being "traditional!" [tongue][rolleyes]

And, WHY would Gibson have 2 different body beveling styles..that's just more (unneeded..IMHO) extra work, for the factory,

compared to having the same body spec's throughout the 2 lines?! While some may not care, one way or the other, about the

"beveling," I never heard anyone complain about the nicer wider and deeper versions, in 2012-2014! Most, seemed to really

like it! And, the fact that Gibson DID retain the wider/deeper and horn tapers on the "advanced" HP line, must be some

indication that even they think it's the nicer spec. ???

But, at least you CAN get one version, or the other, I guess...for those who might prefer the lesser bevels, and no horn tapers!

Just seems like they made a lot of extra work, for themselves, in the process.

"Whatever!" [tongue][biggrin]

CB

Hold that thought. I'm so with you on the wasted effort of different shapes on the different lines that I can't believe it. Then it occurred to me, I don't believe it. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they've used a photo from another year for the T line picture. I hope they will have proper bevels on all of them. I still don't want one enough to fork out but they do look so much better.

Hold that thought. I'm so with you on the wasted effort of different shapes on the different lines that I can't believe it. Then it occurred to me, I don't believe it. I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they've used a photo from another year for the T line picture. I hope they will have proper bevels on all of them. I still don't want one enough to fork out but they do look so much better.

I certainly hope you're right. Farnsbarns! Seems quite silly, and inefficient, to have 2 different body spec's. :rolleyes:[unsure]

CB

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they've used a photo from another year for the T line picture. I hope they will have proper bevels on all of them.

Have a look at my post #60 of my new 2016 SG Special T - you can see on that. They aren't as deep or wide as early 60's, but that doesn't bother me, although it would be good if they were accurate to early models. I might take some close up pictures of the bevels if I get time.

I certainly hope you're right. Farnsbarns! Seems quite silly, and inefficient, to have 2 different body spec's. :rolleyes:[unsure]

CB

Yeah sadly I don't think so... Remember the T line has been around since like September... This is a pic of a 2016 Standard T on the WildWood site where as you know they take pics of the individual gutitars so you know what you are getting

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/products/160004084.php?CategoryID=533&n=42#

bevel_zpsf1uz4hl3.jpg

CB

Yeah sadly I don't think so... Remember the T line has been around since like September... This is a pic of a 2016 Standard T on the WildWood site where as you know they take pics of the individual gutitars so you know what you are getting

bevel_zpsf1uz4hl3.jpg

I'm buying a new guitar in the new year. I was thinking around the £1000-£1200 mark. The Firebird has just gone on my list along with the Ibanez RG and a Knaggs (big discounts).

Plus. I was thinking of looking at an ESP. Not the ltd though. Opinions? Who has a firebird? Are they still top heavy and are they very vulnerable to breaks?

I'm buying a new guitar in the new year. I was thinking around the £1000-£1200 mark. The Firebird has just gone on my list along with the Ibanez RG and a Knaggs (big discounts).

Plus. I was thinking of looking at an ESP. Not the ltd though. Opinions? Who has a firebird? Are they still top heavy and are they very vulnerable to breaks?

I have a 2014 and I love every aspect of it. I had a bicentennial 76 many moons ago and this one is much better. Tuners are great, neck plays like a dream. In fact the whole guitar plays like a dream. Mini hummers are killer. Fairly high output. Doesn't feel neck heavy at all. The guitar as a whole is lighter than I remember. I shipped it across country a month ago. No issues, no breaks of any kind (admittedly hardly scientific though).

bevel_zpsf1uz4hl3.jpg

Well, let's hope, that Gibson will exercise that "right to change spec's, without notice," at some point,

and put the HP Beveling, back on the Traditional's! LOL Hey, I can always hope/dream, right?! [biggrin]

CB

Right around the time the G-Force came out I had to buy a new battery for my rechargeable cordless drill.

Good luck - the battery type was discontinued, obsolete, nobody makes no more, you outta luck big stooge, you buy new drill.

That made me think of these Tronical Tunas. Hopefully, the battery type won't go out of production and then it's you outta luck big stooge, buy new self tuning gizmo, throw old one away time.

Archived