Gibson Brands Forums

It's Mischief Night!

IanHenry

Tonight's mischief night, an old Northern English tradition where kids go out and make a nuisance of themselves (I believe the American trick or treat was derived from it.

Does anyone else have this tradition, normally the night before Bonfire night?

When I was a kid, our favourite trick was to put a drawing pin onto the old-fashioned door handle "sneck" where you put your thumb to open it and cover that in horse manure (picked because it was particularly pungent), the idea being that the unfortunate victim would prick their finger in the dark and then immediately put it into their mouth! Oh such fun.

Ian

I think you're referring to Halloween, I honestly didn't realize this was only a north American sort of celebration??

anyway, it's mostly for kinds under (I think 14 or 15)..

when I was a kid, there were always some sort of shenanigans going on, but in the neighborhoods I grew up in, it wasn't really hard for the adults to tell who the usual suspects would be.

Regardless of how clever a prank you tried to pull on that night, most of the time ended badly for us. The only time it got a little dicey was when kids from other neighborhoods would prank our area, and we'd get blamed, air tight alibis became essential.

I think you're referring to Halloween, I honestly didn't realize this was only a north American sort of celebration??

anyway, it's mostly for kinds under (I think 14 or 15)..

when I was a kid, there were always some sort of shenanigans going on, but in the neighborhoods I grew up in, it wasn't really hard for the adults to tell who the usual suspects would be.

Regardless of how clever a prank you tried to pull on that night, most of the time ended badly for us. The only time it got a little dicey was when kids from other neighborhoods would prank our area, and we'd get blamed, air tight alibis became essential.

No, it's not Halloween, it's an event (yes for kids) on the 4th of November, the night before Guy Fawkes (bonfire) night. Halloween, where I live is traditionally where people go up to the top of Pendle Hill where the Pendle Witches were captured (listen to the song below). Bonfire night (5th November) is where an effigy of Guy Fawkes (an English traitor) is burned accompanied by fireworks. Anyway, here's the music, quite a catchy little tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymHN4RVZQus

Ian

Locally, Halloween is where we celebrate the downfall of the Pendle Witches, who were captured and sent to Lancaster for trial in 1612, and subsequently executed by hanging, ten of them. In reality it was a gross miscarriage of justice as it's subsequently believed that the witches, led by a Woman called Demdike probably suffered from learning difficulty's.

Ian

In the South London area its another night of Robbery, posting lit fireworks through peoples letter boxes or acting like an all round ****

Ive just got back from Washington. You guys know how to celebrate Halloween. Everyone in costume having good family fun.

Regards

Guest Farnsbarns

If anyone I don't know knocks on my door and asks for something on threat of a trick, I'm having them for agrivated robbery.

Halloween, I believe is a British tradition. Trick or treat however, I believe is an American one that has started to happen here over the last 20 years or so. I hate it. The neighbourhood kids with ages in one digit are welcome, the teens from 3 miles away are not.

Mischief night I think is a northern thing. I've heard about it but never in my childhood. Frankly it was always mischief night!

Nope, not here!

We used to celebrate Guy Fawkes Night many years ago but the touchy feelies got fireworks banned!

There is a small adherence here to Halloween Night but so small that I think it's a fizzer!

Halloween is a big deal in my neighborhood. We had 100 or so kids parading around in all types of costumes collecting candy. I gave out candy to the kids and a glass of my home made wine to the adults. I went through almost a gallon of wine. I'm glad the weather cooperated.

Actually, at least on the East Coast of the U.S., if I'm not mistaken, we have Mischief Night too. It is on the night before Halloween (10/30) and children go around wrapping trees and people's car in toilet paper or write on people's windows in soap or egg their house.

As for Halloween in the U.S., it derived from a Pagan celebration the night before All Saints' Day (a Christian Day of worship).

Tonight's mischief night, an old Northern English tradition where kids go out and make a nuisance of themselves (I believe the American trick or treat was derived from it.

Does anyone else have this tradition, normally the night before Bonfire night?

When I was a kid, our favourite trick was to put a drawing pin onto the old-fashioned door handle "sneck" where you put your thumb to open it and cover that in horse manure (picked because it was particularly pungent), the idea being that the unfortunate victim would prick their finger in the dark and then immediately put it into their mouth! Oh such fun.

Ian

I've never heard of it.

As for Halloween, I first heard of this in Charlie Brown cartoons. We (uk) never knew anything about Halloween at all.

Then kids started to 'do Halloween' over here some years ago. I suppose they just copied American culture. As a true & proper miserable git its my duty to dislike & disapprove of it.

We'll be copying Independence day & Thanksgiving next. [-X

I've never heard of it.

As for Halloween, I first heard of this in Charlie Brown cartoons. We (uk) never knew anything about Halloween at all.

Then kids started to 'do Halloween' over here some years ago. I suppose they just copied American culture. As a true & proper miserable git its my duty to dislike & disapprove of it.

In the North of England we've always had Halloween, but the trick or treat aspect is fairly new thing. As I mentioned earlier witchcraft has strong historical links to the area. I think the trick or treat and all the dressing up for the occasion is an American import on the theme.

Ian

I've never heard of it.

Award yourself a "like".

In my neighborhood growing up, it was called Moving Night and it was the night before Halloween. The idea was that kids would "move" peoples trash cans and lawn furniture and other items. There was also soaping car windows, toilet paper through the trees and even throwing eggs at houses and cars. Most of the pranks were mildly destructive, but more about annoying people rather than causing monetary damage. I know we "annoyed" plenty of neighbors when I was a young teen.

If anyone I don't know knocks on my door and asks for something on threat of a trick, I'm having them for agrivated robbery.

Halloween, I believe is a British tradition. Trick or treat however, I believe is an American one that has started to happen here over the last 20 years or so. I hate it. The neighbourhood kids with ages in one digit are welcome, the teens from 3 miles away are not.

Mischief night I think is a northern thing. I've heard about it but never in my childhood. Frankly it was always mischief night!

Halloween has been around a lot longer than 20 years… I just tune red 60 and I went trick or treating with my brother around the neighborhood when we were children. It might have become popular in the UK over the past 20 years due to television and the Halloween movies, which is a distorted representation of what Halloween used to be. The idea of dressing up for Halloween was fun and creative because you could dress as anything you like; a famous character (Rock Star/Movie Star), a pack of gum, a ham sandwich if you like… Of course there were always ghosts, witches, Dracula and Frankensteins but Halloween was not necessarily monsters, slashers and zombies. Last year, here in Spain, I dressed as KFC's K. Sanders and people were like, wow that's great but whats that got to do with Halloween ](*,) The year before I was a white Jimi Hendrix, same reaction… This years I didn't dress up… I guess I'm getting to old [lol]

IMG_5231_zpsnk12sjik.jpg

IMG_3477_zpsf552fe81.jpg

Halloween has been around a lot longer than 20 years… I just tune red 60 and I went trick or treating with my brother around the neighborhood when we were children. It might have become popular in the UK over the past 20 years due to television and the Halloween movies, which is a distorted representation of what Halloween used to be. The idea of dressing up for Halloween was fun and creative because you could dress as anything you like; a famous character (Rock Star/Movie Star), a pack of gum, a ham sandwich if you like… Of course there were always ghosts, witches, Dracula and Frankensteins but Halloween was not necessarily monsters, slashers and zombies. Last year, here in Spain, I dressed as KFC's K. Sanders and people were like, wow that's great but whats that got to do with Halloween ](*,) The year before I was a white Jimi Hendrix, same reaction… This years I didn't dress up… I guess I'm getting to old [lol]

IMG_5231_zpsnk12sjik.jpg

IMG_3477_zpsf552fe81.jpg

Love the Hendrix outfit and the blue axe. You put it across with aplomb Dave [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

IMG_5231_zpsnk12sjik.jpg

IMG_3477_zpsf552fe81.jpg

That's what I said. Trick or treat has started happening here over the last 20 years. I'm well aware that it has been going longer in the US and maybe other places.

Nice Jimmi outfit by the way.

I think one of the most annoying things about this time of year generally and obviously more about Guy Fawkes than Halloween is the bloody fireworks that will now be going off every night for the next week or so.... [thumbdn] (they even do it in the rain, nutcases)..

Guest Farnsbarns

I think one of the most annoying things about this time of year generally and obviously more about Guy Fawkes than Halloween is the bloody fireworks that will now be going off every night for the next week or so.... [thumbdn] (they even do it in the rain, nutcases)..

One of the best things about moving out of the city. We get a night or two now, if some of my 5 neighbours decide to, then some on new years eve. In Croydon it was literally every night from early Oct until mid Jan. Bloody nightmare!

When are you gonna come visit me out here in the sticks anyway?

Archived